ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scottishfamily

Scottish family possibly moving to melbourne

Guest Scottishfamily

hi everyone,

Just dipping my toe in the water here :)

Potentially have a job opportunity in Melbourne on a 457 VISA. We are a family with 3 kids aged 12, 5 & 2.

I've managed to get lots of great information just from browsing the forums here. I'd be really grateful for ANY information on Melbourne such as suburbs to live in which are good for high schools & primary schools.

Also just generally how does everyone find it?!!

This job opportunity has come out of the blue & we could potentially be moving by the start of 2012. So we're under a bit of pressure to find out whats its like :)

Thanks

Hi and welcome to PIO, Melbourne has just ranked top in the best city in the world, so I would say you have made a good choice.

Where will your job be and how far a commute would you be looking for? We can then give you some ideas of the best suburbs.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest MM2Melb
hi everyone,

Just dipping my toe in the water here :)

Potentially have a job opportunity in Melbourne on a 457 VISA. We are a family with 3 kids aged 12, 5 & 2.

I've managed to get lots of great information just from browsing the forums here. I'd be really grateful for ANY information on Melbourne such as suburbs to live in which are good for high schools & primary schools.

Also just generally how does everyone find it?!!

This job opportunity has come out of the blue & we could potentially be moving by the start of 2012. So we're under a bit of pressure to find out what its like :)

Thanks

Hi there,

We are moving to Melbourne at the end of this year (from Edinburgh). I grew up there but my husband has never been...

I have a 12 year old, as well, who just started high school in August and knowing a bit about schools I was worried about finding a school more than anything. I think for a good state primary you should be ok in most good suburbs (but still visit once you arrive) but secondary school is much harder. Private secondary schools are v popular and if you are planning this (as I think there are state secondary school fees on 457??) you don't need to worry about matching the two as school zones don't apply. There are a number of good state secondary schools but the ones with the best rep have strict zones or exam entry for some programs (cut off dates over and I think you need to be az,t a Victorian primary school to apply anyway). We are going to live in North Carlton as the area is really nice and central (but expensive) and the local high school has a good rep with a good match for my daughter's interests. Some of the other secondary schools we thought looked good were Williamstown and Balwyn which is about the best known school for people moving into zones to get. There is a fair bit of info online and on here about schools.

I am quite worried about renting a house in the zone in time for the new school term but hopefully this will be ok. Since you don't have a decision made yet about one or the other yet you will probably actually find it easier than us!

I don't know if you know already but new school year will start around 1 February. Our 12 year old will go into year 7/beginning of high school.

Good luck deciding what to do, if you move we might see you in Melbourne! :)

You don't have to pay school fees on a 457 visa if you're in Victoria (but you do in NSW and ACT I think).

Well no more school fees than the locals do anyway!! There are still various school levys.

I went to Blackburn High School as a kid and it's brilliant - strong academically and an amazing music program, it's good at sport too but that wasn't my bag. Plus good connections into the city.

And it's very multi-cultural (I was a Skip),

There used to be a bakery in the shopping centre over the road that did brilliant Vietnamese Pork Rolls.....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yum :)

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

Guest MM2Melb

There used to be a bakery in the shopping centre over the road that did brilliant Vietnamese Pork Rolls.....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yum :)

I can't wait for Melbourne Vietnamese, have forgotten the names of those places in Victoria street but they are SO good!

Guest Scottishfamily
Hi there,

We are moving to Melbourne at the end of this year (from Edinburgh). I grew up there but my husband has never been...

I have a 12 year old, as well, who just started high school in August and knowing a bit about schools I was worried about finding a school more than anything. I think for a good state primary you should be ok in most good suburbs (but still visit once you arrive) but secondary school is much harder. Private secondary schools are v popular and if you are planning this (as I think there are state secondary school fees on 457??) you don't need to worry about matching the two as school zones don't apply. There are a number of good state secondary schools but the ones with the best rep have strict zones or exam entry for some programs (cut off dates over and I think you need to be az,t a Victorian primary school to apply anyway). We are going to live in North Carlton as the area is really nice and central (but expensive) and the local high school has a good rep with a good match for my daughter's interests. Some of the other secondary schools we thought looked good were Williamstown and Balwyn which is about the best known school for people moving into zones to get. There is a fair bit of info online and on here about schools.

I am quite worried about renting a house in the zone in time for the new school term but hopefully this will be ok. Since you don't have a decision made yet about one or the other yet you will probably actually find it easier than us!

I don't know if you know already but new school year will start around 1 February. Our 12 year old will go into year 7/beginning of high school.

Good luck deciding what to do, if you move we might see you in Melbourne! :)

Thanks so much for the information. Schools is such a big thing for us. We were hoping not to have to go private for schooling, obviously because of the costs, so thanks for the advice.

Typically I have friends/family in Oz but none in Melbourne so it looks like I will be spending a lot more time on this website. Interesting to hear about potential subburbs to stay in too as thats another thing that is a big decision. Ill potentially be working in the CBD, with my partner stating at home with the kids until they are properly settled. ideally I'd like a commute that meant I would still see my kids monday to Friday :) At the moment we are just north of the river from you guys!

Thanks so much for the information. Schools is such a big thing for us. We were hoping not to have to go private for schooling, obviously because of the costs, so thanks for the advice.

Typically I have friends/family in Oz but none in Melbourne so it looks like I will be spending a lot more time on this website. Interesting to hear about potential subburbs to stay in too as thats another thing that is a big decision. Ill potentially be working in the CBD, with my partner stating at home with the kids until they are properly settled. ideally I'd like a commute that meant I would still see my kids monday to Friday :) At the moment we are just north of the river from you guys!

You could look at Catholic schooling, excellent schools and fees in Secondary around $2300

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest MM2Melb

Hi,

No problem at all, you are welcome.

I take it you are around Fife then? We live in Marchmont and are looking at least initially for something similar, hence north Carlton (walkable to the cbd and Melbourne uni and close to lots of cafes etc). You defo won't have a problem finding a nice place within an hour or so commute on the train, but I guess it will be a case of working out what the priorities are... hopefully your work will put you up for a few weeks so you can get a feel for the place.

Re schools they all have their own website and enrolment rules are really different for each one eg some insist on ownership of or a twelve month lease for a house and make your child leave if you move out of the zone (eg Balwyn high and university high in parkville) but others seem better. There is a comparison of final year results for all the schools including state/catholic/private on the site: http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/VcePublicSchoolResults.aspx .

Also have a look at the public transport maps to check how easy transport is as well as just distance. I like: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/metropolitan-maps/metropolitan-train-network-map/ .

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to do a lot from here as it is pretty hard work and as long as you have enough time once you arrive, prob not likely to change the outcome: eg school places to Victorian students were allocated August so if there are spaces left hopefully it shouldn't change, and no matter what your thoughts are now you probably want to visit the areas you will live in before you arrive..

Guest Scottishfamily
Hi,

No problem at all, you are welcome.

I take it you are around Fife then? We live in Marchmont and are looking at least initially for something similar, hence north Carlton (walkable to the cbd and Melbourne uni and close to lots of cafes etc). You defo won't have a problem finding a nice place within an hour or so commute on the train, but I guess it will be a case of working out what the priorities are... hopefully your work will put you up for a few weeks so you can get a feel for the place.

Re schools they all have their own website and enrolment rules are really different for each one eg some insist on ownership of or a twelve month lease for a house and make your child leave if you move out of the zone (eg Balwyn high and university high in parkville) but others seem better. There is a comparison of final year results for all the schools including state/catholic/private on the site: http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/VcePublicSchoolResults.aspx .

Also have a look at the public transport maps to check how easy transport is as well as just distance. I like: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/metropolitan-maps/metropolitan-train-network-map/ .

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to do a lot from here as it is pretty hard work and as long as you have enough time once you arrive, prob not likely to change the outcome: eg school places to Victorian students were allocated August so if there are spaces left hopefully it shouldn't change, and no matter what your thoughts are now you probably want to visit the areas you will live in before you arrive..

Yes we're in Dalgety Bay. Although I'd be prepared to commute for an hour I'd prefer less but I guess it all depends on what the choice is. Thanks for more links :)