hia

Visa 475 and 176 permanent residency Information

Hey guys and all the people out there I need suggestions from you all..

My sister is going to apply for Visa 475 or 176 till the end of this year ..She need some info for her help.If She applies for a 475 visa till when can she apply for PR and if 176 then after hw many years can she apply for PR?

Secondly, how much time does it take the PR to be granted???

Can you clear me on that and the difference in benefits of both.It will be highly appreciated.

Guest Violet S

Hi Hia,

475 - she has to fulfill 2 conditions during three years in the state. i) stay 2 full years in the sponsored state. ii) work one year full time. As long as these two conditions are fulfilled, she can apply her PR.

176 is a PR but with condition. She has to in the sponsored state for two years before she can move to other states, if she intends to move. Once, fulfill, she is free to move around.

Hope this help.

Violet

Ok Violet S thanks for this useful info...By PR im referring to citizenship.

But do you mean to say that for 176 she doesnot need to apply for Permanent residency(citizenship) again.? and she can live for as many years in Aus as she wants???? correct me if im wrong pls ...

If this is not the case then after how many years can she apply for Citizenship????

Guest Violet S

for citizenship, you may need to read out the migration site: http://www.immi.gov.au to find out how long does it take to apply. However, I can share with you about what happen to my friend. After she got her PR not long after that, she proceed with her citizenship.

PR - no voting right.

Citizenship - got voting right.

More, for some countries, you need to give up your origin country citizenship. Some allow for dual citizenship. I heard Australia allows dual citizenship. But you better check if this is correct.

Hope this help.

PR (Permanent Residence) and citizenship are two completely different things though having PR is a prerequisite for becoming eligible to apply for citizenship.

A person must have lived in Australia for at least 4 years including at least 1 year as a PR before they can apply for citizenship. Until they have citizenship, they cannot get an Australian passport and they cannot vote.

A 176 visa is a permanent visa so the holder is a Permanent Resident from the day they arrive in Australia to validate their visa.

A 475 visa is a provisional visa. After 2 years on a 475 and provided the holder has lived in a regional area for that time and has worked full time in the region for at least 1 year, they become eligible to apply for a Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) which is a permanent residence visa. After they have been in Australia for at least 4 years, including at least 1 year on the 887, they can apply for citizenship.

Ozmaniac you hav given a very clear picture of the whole scene.I appreciate it.

I want more of your view about an issue.

My sister is abt to apply for skill assess IA till the middle of September 2011 then she will apply for NT state sponsorship after that.these both steps would take atleast 3 to 4 months.So we are assuming that she may apply for visa till December.

My question is that if she applies application till december for visa 176 or 475 , then wht will be its CAT or priority at that time.How long will the visa take to be processed and till when can she expect the CO to be allotted to her???I just want your rough opinion on it as your experience says.Will she get a CO till March 2011 or before that???

One more thing, which visa according to you has faster procesing speed although I know both of them fall in the same Category....Please brief it OZMANIAC....:)

From some of the complaints about the length of time it takes for NT sponsorship that I've seen here on PIO, I think your estimate of December is rather optimistic. I suggest you ask for info on recent timelines for getting NT sponsorship on a new thread so you can get an up-to-date idea of how long they're taking.

The categories shouldn't change again until at least the middle of 2012 (though DIAC is very unpredictable and anything is possible) but of course the NT could easily remove your sister's occupation from their SMP before then. Assuming her occupation is still on the SMP, and she gets NT SS, her application should be in Priority Group 3 and if PG3 processing continues at much the same rate as at present, it should only take a few weeks for her to get a CO after she lodges her application. Anything more specific than the above will only be a guess and is a pointless exercise.

475s and 176s seem to be processed at the same rate - the current allocation dates are exactly the same and that seems to be the usual situation.

From some of the complaints about the length of time it takes for NT sponsorship that I've seen here on PIO, I think your estimate of December is rather optimistic. I suggest you ask for info on recent timelines for getting NT sponsorship on a new thread so you can get an up-to-date idea of how long they're taking.

The categories shouldn't change again until at least the middle of 2012 (though DIAC is very unpredictable and anything is possible) but of course the NT could easily remove your sister's occupation from their SMP before then. Assuming her occupation is still on the SMP, and she gets NT SS, her application should be in Priority Group 3 and if PG3 processing continues at much the same rate as at present, it should only take a few weeks for her to get a CO after she lodges her application. Anything more specific than the above will only be a guess and is a pointless exercise.

475s and 176s seem to be processed at the same rate - the current allocation dates are exactly the same and that seems to be the usual situation.

Ozmaniac I am startinbg a new thread for NT regional state sponsorship so that I get a good idea abt the processing times.

Thanks for this detailed information and I hope the processing times and PGs remain the same as they are now....