and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest chrisnnic

820 Temporary Residency Visa

Guest chrisnnic

Hi people,

I've applied for the defacto visa 820 and 801 but have a couple of questions regarding the 820.

At present I'm on a bridging visa with work rights but only for temp work. On a 820 can you get permanent full time employment and also can you apply for finance in Australia? We are looking at getting a mortgage when fingers crossed the visa is granted but would we have to do it on my sponsor's wage only until the 801 permanent residency comes through?

Thanks!

Yes you can apply for whatever jobs you want on an 820 or a 309 (the offshore equivalent) - not sure about the mortgage issue - we've decided to wait until I have PR as well as a job, but not sure if we actually need to do that or if it will just make it easier.

good luck

applied for 309/100 19/1/10, 309 VISA GRANTED 28/4 - arrived Sydney 4/2/11, second stage visa app lodged Jan 2012, PR visa (100) GRANTED 7/6/12, now waiting for babywellie to come join us!:biggrin:

My very basic knowledge is that you can buy a house to live in as long as your spouse is Australian, but you can't have a mortgage in your name if you're buying the house as an investment property only. Try googling "FIRB" to check out the full details. You can buy whatever property you like once permanent I believe.