English Food Poms miss

rachuk1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprouts! Thanks for the reminder, must buy some. They're flippin huge here too!

If you can buy them at the moment I wonder where they come from? Imported? Sprouts are a winter vegetable - we don't pick them here in Tas. until after the first frosts - so I would have thought anywhere in Oz was too warm to grow them at the moment.

I'm with Bobbsy on the making hummus (or however it happens to be spelt this week). We also make our own concentrate stock and harrisa.

I've grown out of the missing 'M&S dine in for two for a tenner'.

Now I just miss my local chippy which served soggy chips and dodgy fish. All I seem to get here are hot, crisp chips with onion rings that taste of some sort of fish. :laugh: (OK - I am now Christmas drinking...)

Well I bought some sprouts, the last 10 or so specimens available in Coles Chermside! They are all quite wee so should be flavourful. No idea where they originate from, the shelf labelling was nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately I had no idea they were nearly $10 a kilo! Blimey crikey! $2.27 for a hefty portion o' sprouts! I'll be peeling a bit less of the outer layers than usual heheheh.

Sprouts nearly as costly as limes, which have halved in price since we arrived but still a 'treat' - who'd have thought?!

I have got a story about a $3 lime. Its a long one and will have to wait until after Santa duty, and probably until 2012, by which time I may have been crowned Best Newcomer....:jimlad:

Well I bought some sprouts, the last 10 or so specimens available in Coles Chermside! They are all quite wee so should be flavourful. No idea where they originate from, the shelf labelling was nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately I had no idea they were nearly $10 a kilo! Blimey crikey! $2.27 for a hefty portion o' sprouts! I'll be peeling a bit less of the outer layers than usual heheheh.

Sprouts nearly as costly as limes, which have halved in price since we arrived but still a 'treat' - who'd have thought?!

Oh, we have bought a lime tree - impulse purchase upon realising it cost $10 less than a kilo of limes at time of purchase! Seriously, limes were like 30p each year round in the UK, I used to keep loads and even throw the odd one in the bin when it sat too long. I never thought they'd be a luxury! At least until our tree bears edible fruit - can't do much with the marble-sized limes on its branches just now!

Mine was a $3 lime for all of 30 seconds. One lime does not weigh 200g. Woolies check out girl asked to reweigh it.(That is the abridged version.)

Yeah, I was annoyed that Coles was selling limes at $1.98 a piece today when Woolies has them at $12-ish per kilo - does not compute! Luckily these Tahitian guys are thin-skinned and yield lots of juice unlike the lemons. As I've discovered the lemons are huge because there's a load of skin & pith and they are MURDER to juice! Not much juice per kilo. Still they are dirt cheap in the markets and I go for the littlest ones these days.

Who recommended Aldi hummous again? Harpo?? It's very nice - tasty and just enough chickpea bite to keep paisleylass happy. At least I never bothered with the Coles etc brands - but they did look vile anyway!

Speaking of dips, why do 99% of Aussie ones contain cashew nuts? I've not tried one yet, maybe they are great, but cashews add an awful lot of fat!

• 1 month later...

Nothing to do with sprouts.......BUT can anybody tell me where I can get Heinz Sandwich Spread in Oz? I miss it so much and cant find anything that comes close. :arghh:

Guest Guest16631

.........bought some in the Celtic koala in Brisbane..............so yummy...........every one else hated it ........so I got the whole jar.........!

Nothing to do with sprouts.......BUT can anybody tell me where I can get Heinz Sandwich Spread in Oz? I miss it so much and cant find anything that comes close. :arghh:

Our local Foodworks have some in the British section, might be worth sticking your head around the door if you have one nearby.

Guest Guest31881
is there vino from buckfast abby over in OZ? halls square sausage? barrs irn bru?

The iron Brew over here is a different taste so I am told... Square sausage i have not seen yet, but that does not mean it does not exist... I went in Woolworths the weekend and in there English section was 'Bisto and Marmite (Sold as My mate in australia). So you never know it may arrive I can get frozen Scottish kippers, so sausage should be on its way :biggrin:

As for you vino take a look at Dan Murphys site...

http://danmurphys.com.au/red-wine

I do not know if they have it, but they do have an extensive range. I use their place close by to buy Newcastle brown and Old Speckled hen ale.

Happy to report the sprouts from Coles were entirely satisfactory. But I won't be bothering again at $10/kg!

Just browsing through some old posts and saw yours. Sprouts mature in the winter and need a good frost to be really tasty so I don't know where they come from at Christmas time in Oz. Maybe they are imported from China....hence the price? They grow well here in Tassie in winter and I imagine it is cold enough also on the Atherton Tableland in Queensland so have a look around June - you should be able to buy them much, much more cheaply then.

more of a question this one, as im still in the cold northern rock not the supersize southern sunny one....

halloumi cheese..... more of a cypriot thing thats taken off in the uk, fantastic on a BBQ.

anyway, can it be found in australia? the BBQ capital of the world.

im worried this is going to be slung in the silly question area, but i love it so have to ask! :)

Yeah you can get halloumi in most supermarkets I was buying it here years ago before I went back to the Uk and introduced it to my family and freinds over there!!

Hi all, you can get most of the itiems you listed in Werribee and Point Cook Plaza. You pay a bit over the odds but I treat myself every now and again. The only iteim I have not seen is monster much or blue ribbons. I know the plaza in Caroline Springs also sells things like Maynards, Walkers, polos, all the favourities. My local Coles even has a pommie section - things like branston pickle, PJ tips, wheetabix, McVities digestives ect.

I miss pork pies even though they contain rubbish - so good!

I make my own pork pies and they are as good as the one's from the UK, I managed to get my recipe from a little butchers in Ditton Priors in Shropshire, who makes award winning pies not quite as good as his but not far off and not squish pastry like to ones sold here!! Most Aussies don't realise that you don't warm pork pie up after you have made them, the only thing I struggle with is the fact that I don't have a pie dolly, but I do find the base of a pint glass works really well...

"it's all in the pastry"