English Food Poms miss

rachuk1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gammon is available here

for once I find myself agreeing with you BT:shocked:. I requested some gammon steaks from the butchers up the road. He hadn't done it for a few years so first time round he overdid the salt.

Second time though was perfect. Not too expensive either, considering it's made to order ($12 a kilo)

We're having gammon steaks on the BBQ today.

My top 5 would be

1. Pork Pies

2. Scotch Eggs

3. IPA Green King Beer

4. Real fish en chips.

5. Pukka pies

If by real fish en chips you mean stuff that sits in a hot box for hours on end you can keep it, I'll stick to the stuff that's cooked to order, yes you wait a little while but oh so much better

:confused:....why you no listen .....Crazy Dons sell all that gear , quavers ,the Giant Monster Munch bags , all Walkers , blue ribbon.......will swap you some bags of Monster Munch for you meat pudding recipe .........ive got to get that one off you :biggrin:..will meet you outside spud shed when we do the handover /exchange:jimlad:

Do they sell Wotsits?

Guest Been there
for once I find myself agreeing with you BT:shocked:. I requested some gammon steaks from the butchers up the road. He hadn't done it for a few years so first time round he overdid the salt.

Second time though was perfect. Not too expensive either, considering it's made to order ($12 a kilo)

Keep an eye out for Trunkey Creek organic gammon steaks. There is nothing here or the U.K that comes close

Guest guest36187

I was always one of those people that thought...if I can't get a food type, so what? I'll make do! My MIL arrives tomorrow and well, when she said " can I bring anything......" I didn't say no!!! Lol

I have had the butcher do it and its really laziness on my part for not going to the butcher and asking them, they are very very obliging. Just get caught up in the same old thing dash into the supermarket and grab what is there, same when we were in the Uk last year.

Need to take time to shop then we can have most things everywhere.

Guest tracey ibbitson
My sister was asking me; "if i had to pick 5 food items that i really miss from the UK what would it be?"

I had to pick things that she could post out to me. this was great as i didn’t find it hard to come up with a list so hopefully they are on their way to me as we speak!

1. mushy peas (quick soak dried peas) to have with my fish and chips!

2. UK Cadbury chocolate bars

3. Walkers Quavers crisps

4. Blue Ribands

5. walkers cheese and onion crisps

If anyone else here in Australia is missing the Uk food - what would be your top 5?

I love Australian food and the lifestyle no question about the quality of life and food here. I simply want a few of my favoutite foods that i have grown up with....

AND - does anyone know if they can get the mushy peas here in the Melbourne are (not the tin variety :biggrin:)

Hi, Woolworth sell them they are in a small section that sell British brands.

My sister was asking me; "if i had to pick 5 food items that i really miss from the UK what would it be?"

I had to pick things that she could post out to me. this was great as i didn’t find it hard to come up with a list so hopefully they are on their way to me as we speak!

4. Blue Ribands

If anyone else here in Australia is missing the Uk food - what would be your top 5?

I love Australian food and the lifestyle no question about the quality of life and food here. I simply want a few of my favoutite foods that i have grown up with....

AND - does anyone know if they can get the mushy peas here in the Melbourne are (not the tin variety :biggrin:)

They sell Mushy Peas in my Coles :jiggy:

4. Blue Ribands

Pickled onions that make your eyes water, "proper" Marmite and pork pies.:jiggy:

• 3 months later...

I love trying new food and don't think I'll miss much, but think I will be craving Morrisons vegetable crackers, French Fancies and Coors Light (which is sort of American, tho it is brewed in the UK!). However I'm sure there will be enough new goodies to try that will make me forget this lot!

Fresh baked Anzac biccies - looking forward to trying those!

Interesting that this thread has come up again! I posted the above 2 months before we arrived, and actually don't miss the above, though I'm getting a slight craving for the veg crackers, I'd forgotten all about them! Never mind, thin corn cakes, french onion dip and cheese for lunch yum yum. Oh, and we went a bit mental on Coles fresh Anzac biccies, especially when they went on special, pack of 24 for $4, oh my :oD

I do miss Innis & Gunn rum cask beer. We have started to home brew, but lord knows where I'd find a rum cask to brew beer in. I don't fancy trying a Bundy cask! Bundy - eurgh!

I thought I saw Dairlyea in the supermarket, well they deffo sell Laughing Cow triangles, I'll check it out later!