English Food Poms miss

rachuk1

My sister was asking me; "if i had to pick 5 food items that i really miss from the UK what would it be?"

I had to pick things that she could post out to me. this was great as i didn’t find it hard to come up with a list so hopefully they are on their way to me as we speak!

1. mushy peas (quick soak dried peas) to have with my fish and chips!
  2. UK Cadbury chocolate bars
  3. Walkers Quavers crisps
  4. Blue Ribands
  5. walkers cheese and onion crisps

If anyone else here in Australia is missing the Uk food - what would be your top 5?

I love Australian food and the lifestyle no question about the quality of life and food here. I simply want a few of my favoutite foods that i have grown up with....

AND - does anyone know if they can get the mushy peas here in the Melbourne are (not the tin variety :biggrin:)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, you can get most of the itiems you listed in Werribee and Point Cook Plaza. You pay a bit over the odds but I treat myself every now and again. The only iteim I have not seen is monster much or blue ribbons. I know the plaza in Caroline Springs also sells things like Maynards, Walkers, polos, all the favourities. My local Coles even has a pommie section - things like branston pickle, PJ tips, wheetabix, McVities digestives ect.

I miss pork pies even though they contain rubbish - so good!

PS you can also get mushy peas in coles - Ive had them tried to get my GF to give them a try she was horrified lol!

I do love the selection in coles but they dont sell 'make your own' mushy peas. they only sell the tinned ones :-)

there is a shop in Melbourne CBD called 'treats from home' that sells monster munch and other items but be wary of the 'best before' dates!

I do love the selection in coles but they dont sell 'make your own' mushy peas. they only sell the tinned ones :-)

there is a shop in Melbourne CBD called 'treats from home' that sells monster munch and other items but be wary of the 'best before' dates!

I know the one you mean up the escalator and theirs a book shop on the bottom floor. Theres quite a few good places in the western suburbs but have been there a few times. I think I am getting over missing the pommie food slowly have been here almost 2 years now and have no desire to even go and visit the UK.

I know the one you mean up the escalator and theirs a book shop on the bottom floor. Theres quite a few good places in the western suburbs but have been there a few times. I think I am getting over missing the pommie food slowly have been here almost 2 years now and have no desire to even go and visit the UK.

I know what you mean, i dont want to go back. I prefer eveything here but do miss the mushy peas with the 'flake and hot chips'

Guest guest30038

My local Coles sells dried peas so I make my own mushies.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have a British Lolly Shop in Cairns but again you have to check the sell buy date. To be honest I wouldn't say I miss English things, I do treat myself to some Bisto Gravy and Quavers now and again.

We have a British Lolly Shop in Cairns but again you have to check the sell buy date. To be honest I wouldn't say I miss English things, I do treat myself to some Bisto Gravy and Quavers now and again.

I am the same. Have u been back lately? I am not keen on a visit have everything i want here.

Guest The Pom Queen
I am the same. Have u been back lately? I am not keen on a visit have everything i want here.

Haven't been back since we moved here, if it wasn't so expensive we may have, but family and friends visit us here so we have no other reason to go back.:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
My list:

1. smoked mackerel

2. French goat's cheese

3. tetleys decaf teabags

4. decent bacon

5. French saucisson

I realise all but 1 is perishable, and 2 are French, but everything else I've decent versions of

But Harpo you can get Tetleys decaf T Bags from Woollies/Safeways normally $7 but currently on offer at $5

I was in the Lord Nelson in The Rocks last Saturday night and there was a bloke eating a pork pie - gave me a surprise - not sure if it was a 'Kosher' one though. Do they have to be made in Melton???

I wanted a schooner but they only sell pints and halves (aka 'middies - think that is where the name comes from???? ie. middle/half way?? could be wrong?)

Felt a bit odd to be quaffing a pint. I know you can get them in loads of places but I prefer schooners. If I do have a pint I like it to be a 'handle', not sure if I've seen them here.

The first time I went back to England - in 1983 - I went part of the way on the 'Canberra' from Sydney to San Francisco. When I went to the 'tuck shop' on board, they had all the Pommie sweets - Opal Fruits, Spangles, etc - they have disappeared though now???

When did u last go for a visit and how long have u been here! Excuse the short hand am at work so typing quickly to avoid getting caught lol. It is Friday so can be a bit slack lol

:biggrin: we moved her in May 2010 and we have not gone back for a visit, i dont want to go back so i am putting off my visit as long as possable. i am lucky that I was born here and moved to the UK when i was 5 do i didnt need visa'a or anything

The first time I went back to England - in 1983 - I went part of the way on the 'Canberra' from Sydney to San Francisco. When I went to the 'tuck shop' on board, they had all the Pommie sweets - Opal Fruits, Spangles, etc - they have disappeared though now???

they still have the sweets but have re-named then opral fruits are now called fruit bursts but spangles are still around :-)

1. Marks and Spencers range of ready meals (you can keep the pasta ones though) - does that count as one?

2. Deuchars IPA

3. Caledonian Golden Promise

4. Badgers Todgerpuller

5. Mcsweens Haggis

I agree with the first choice as they are so nice but have not got a clue what the others are is number 4 an ale or something? :laugh: