Reasonably priced household items in Sydney

3FatCats

Hello all, after having read a good few posts along the general lines of "everything is more expensive in Oz", seeing the reactions of the poor folk (including me!) who are about to move here or just got here, I would like to inject some optimism into the forum and report on my day's activities purchasing household items.... I do lead an exciting life....

Pegs - $2 either from dollar store or Kmart (sorry to start with pegs, I was told to buy out Asda as they cost upwards from $10...)

A box of crockery, 18 pieces $16 from Target - seen similar for $19 in Kmart

Set of cutlery in a tray, with good cutting knives £10 Kmart

Plastic chopping boards $4 Kmart

Towels (large) good quality $5 each Target

Wine glasses $1!!! reduced section in Ikea

A box of 6 tumblers $3 Target

Set of 3 large kitchen knives + scissors $19 Target

Plenty of duvet sets, sheets etc starting from $9

Large mugs $2 dollar store

Huge pan with glass lid $18 dollar store

Set of 3 saucepans with lids $12 Kmart

Great ceramic colander $10 Target

Kettle $9 Kmart or $12 in Target

I won't go on. The message I am trying to put across is that if you look around everything isn't double, triple, 4x what you pay in the UK and if you need basics for those first few days before your container arrives then you should be OK. The shopping centres here are very large, I should know as I used to work in the Trafford Centre, and they are bigger. There are plenty of shops on offer and you will find the price you are looking for.

Of course Sydney does seem quite expensive in the CBD, but it is a large city and London is just the same..... but you don't have to eat out in the heart of Sydney every night!!! We had a pizza in the Little Italy called Leichhardt the other night and it was only $15.

Hope this has been useful.

All the best

Naomi xxx

thanks for this i found it very helpful....

I think if argos open up over here they would make a killing.... White goods are rediculously price even in the cheaper shops.... I also heard that next deliver over here but when i went online they do not offer the full catalogue.

I agree that target and kmart are great... they also have best for less for clothes but today i bought x2 shorts x3 t-shirts (basics for school) and it came to $60 = £40 (nearly)... Think primark (would cost approx £15) they would make a killing to. I know that you shouldn't compare as we get paid in $ but i think that things are more expensive over here but agree that not x4 times the price that some people would like to tell you... it is hard not to compare as at the moment we are living on our savings as hubby has not had first monthly pay yet.....

We went to the mean fidler (rouse hill) for sunday lunch and what a bargin $34 for four of us... They have loadsa adult and kids entertainment.... Excellent value for money and a great day out.

We did the same and bought the K-mart kitchen in a box. Hmm.. Some things have been great - the mugs, the plates.... But a wine glass spontaneously exploded in the cupboard in the first week, and the teaspoons softened and bent while stirring tea! The pans.... if there was an all-stick coating, they have it.

Overall - it's a quick solution for $100 - but better still is if you can buy someone else's stuff. We bought a very decent 4-pan set from someone going travelling for $40, and they are worth at least five times that. Cutlery, glasses, knife set - $10 for a set of 4. Drop into a few garage sales and you could kit out your house.

Buy secondhand if you can - quality can be far better, price cheaper, and there are so many people leaving who just want to get rid for a few dollars and no hassle. And you could make it back if you leave.