What Australian cars have ISOFIX?

Guest tolman

Guest tolman

Hi,

Does anyone use ISOFIX, or have a car with ISOFIX?

Can anyone tell me what used Australian cars have ISOFIX?

I won't be buying new, so need one about 3-5 years old.

I know all about this system not being legal, so please no debate on this topic!!

Thanks

do you realise they're not legal.....oh you do!

We've used isofix in the UK and it is a brilliant system. Both our cars here (Renaults) have isofix but the child seats we use don't have isofix attachments. I think child seats need a 'top tether' to make them compliant with Aus standards and therefore insurance

You are knowingly breaking the law. God help you are in an accident. Legally you will not have a leg to stand on. If your children are injured, maimed or killed, you will have no right to any sort of insurance.

You could end up on a manslaughter charge.

Just spend the money now and get a legal seat for you kids - are their little lives not worth it?

SOME PEOPLE!!!

Guest tolman

Their lives are worth it, which is why I want to use ISOFIX.

As I said, I am fully aware this is illegal, so do not need a debate on this. Old ground already covered.

What I need to know is what cars have ISOFIX brackets.

Guest tolman

Can I bring this thread back to my original question:

If people helped you to break the law by providing information they might be considered to be accomplices - so you're unlikely to get the answers you're after on here I'm afraid.

Australian cars must be built to the Australian standards, which doesn't include Isofix.

Guest The Pom Queen
Can I bring this thread back to my original question:

This was posted somewhere else, may be of interest.

"Most new cars in Australia are landed in the country with the Isofix mounting points already in place, yet parents are not even afforded the Isofix option, because using an Isofix child seat is illegal in Australia (because Isofix does not comply with the Australian Standard, which calls for the top-tether attachment system)."

Although I don't agree with driving uninsured and risking manslaughter charges, I have heard that the Kia Carnivals have them as do Subaru Foresters and maybe VW.

As far as I am aware the only increased safety in the ISOFIX system is that they are easier to fit, rather than the Australian system that can be confusing. Why don't you just pay $20 to get a professional to install the correct seats for you, it has to be cheaper than choosing a car for the purpose, invalidating your insurance and a risk of manslaughter charges?

Guest The Pom Queen
If people helped you to break the law by providing information they might be considered to be accomplices - so you're unlikely to get the answers you're after on here I'm afraid.

Australian cars must be built to the Australian standards, which doesn't include Isofix.

The question the OP asked was what cars have the OSOFIX, so this statement alone isn't breaking the law (although I don't agree with him for one minute). He is not advising everyone to go out and use this system etc, if that was the case we would have deleted the post.:wubclub:

Guest tolman

Thanks both for the helpful replies. That was what I was after!

ISOFIX is set to be approved for 2013, so looking ahead it would make sense for me to buy a car now with ISOFIX, rather then sell and buy another car in 2013, as this is what I would intend to use then once legal.

Guest The Pom Queen
True, many apologies if I've offended

Don't worry, I'm sure when we feel children may be at risk it is human nature to jump in, we wouldn't be normal if we didn't and I am sure the OP appreciates that we are all concerned for their child/children.

FWIW for the OP, the Aussie system of top tether and seatbelt for forward facing car seats is very secure. Far more so than the seatbelt only installation we use in the UK. The top tether is an excellent feature in the Aussie standards IMHO.

As has been said many cars sold in Australia now are already fitted with Isofix points. And of course tether points are standard.

Be aware that while Isofix is at some point going to be rolled out in Australia I would think it will be a combination of Isofix and the top tether still much like the US LATCH system rather than solely the UK/EU Isofix base only system. Aussie car seat manufacturers will of course have to redesign car seats for Isofix and these will have to pass the testing standards before being sold. Imported car seats will still be illegal should anyone choose to use them. Also the Isofix base itself will be a design for Aussie standards, I've still yet to come across anything more than the info I've already posted in the car seat sticky thread.