Having a VERY hard time living here, anyone else had this problem?

jonathancowen

Do you 'live' in Cambridge, Quoll? Bit too far to venture to the New Forest in that case. Your trips & experiences back to the UK mirror mine in a way. My parents meeting me at Heathrow, driving down the M3, taking in the countryside. We diverted to Dummer? in 1986 to see where 'Fergie' came from. I hated saying goodbye and the last few days were awful. When I got the opportunity to stay longer - losing my job - I took it. Perhaps it was a mistake to come back to OZ after my parents passed away.

Socially, however, my experiences have been different to yours but in the sense that my social life has been just as good in OZ as it was in UK.

I do know the staff and families who run the local shops here in Surry Hills and they know me and it's the same in some of the pubs. It's a bit more difficult in a big city 'burb than in a village but I've done OK.

Perhaps it's just luck? Have a good holiday anyway - I always liked September in UK.

Village just outside Cambridge actually. I cant imagine the ladies in Waitrose getting to know me personally LOL but they do chat more than the kids in Ainslie.

DH and I just went down to Portsmouth for a quick overnight trip to see where the DS now lives (most of the time) and in the two and a bit hour drive we saw so much that had we stopped for every thing that was interesting we would never have arrived - the same time out of Canberra would have given me Mittagong with the Big Merino en route = boredom central!

There is just so much to do here and so much to see, it's amazing (have even seen the inside of Addenbrookes hospital as my mum got taken in by ambulance early this morning - her care has been fantastic thus far and they are hoping to move her into the stroke ward soon where they have top class care, the doctors have called my dad at home 3 times already to report on her progress even though we have been in 3 times to see her)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Village just outside Cambridge actually. I cant imagine the ladies in Waitrose getting to know me personally LOL but they do chat more than the kids in Ainslie.

DH and I just went down to Portsmouth for a quick overnight trip to see where the DS now lives (most of the time) and in the two and a bit hour drive we saw so much that had we stopped for every thing that was interesting we would never have arrived - the same time out of Canberra would have given me Mittagong with the Big Merino en route = boredom central!

There is just so much to do here and so much to see, it's amazing (have even seen the inside of Addenbrookes hospital as my mum got taken in by ambulance early this morning - her care has been fantastic thus far and they are hoping to move her into the stroke ward soon where they have top class care, the doctors have called my dad at home 3 times already to report on her progress even though we have been in 3 times to see her)

People knock the NHS quoll but I have found it fantastic the times my family has unfortunately had to use it.

p.s have you tasted any of the real ales on offer?

People knock the NHS quoll but I have found it fantastic the times my family has unfortunately had to use it.

p.s have you tasted any of the real ales on offer?

No, got a cold at the moment and have been knocking back the orange juice and lemonade for our meals out (and some fabulous offerings to boot - thoroughly recommend Greens in Wickham!) Will venture into the wines rather more than the ales when I feel better again. Bloody grandkids gave me their colds just as we were leaving Aus and for the first time in months they dont have runny noses and I am finding breathing rather difficult. Sheesh!

No, got a cold at the moment and have been knocking back the orange juice and lemonade for our meals out (and some fabulous offerings to boot - thoroughly recommend Greens in Wickham!) Will venture into the wines rather more than the ales when I feel better again. Bloody grandkids gave me their colds just as we were leaving Aus and for the first time in months they dont have runny noses and I am finding breathing rather difficult. Sheesh!

Bloody typical :eek: a cold on holiday, how has the weather been for you?

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear this Quoll. I hope your mother recovers soon. Addenbrookes is a fantastic hospital though, as you know. At least you are there as well. It is a constant worry being on the other side of the world to parents I know. :hug:

Wow, Ive only lived in Buderim for 3 weeks and I find it the opposite. I know all my neighbours, they approached me.

The work is obviously more limited here and most the traffic you see in the morning will be people commuting. I commute to Brisbane daily.

I find the people here all very friendly, I love that Mooloolaba is so close but during the summer it will be so full of tourists I'll be happy to be in Buderim.

As for a village feel here, I was amazed by how spread out Buderim actually is, way bigger than i expected.

As some others have suggested, I think the underlying problem may be something other than this area you have chosen to live in. Headaches are caused by dehydration true, but they are also a symptom of tension and stress. I had lots of it when i first moved to Brisbane and was trying to find work.

The average age of residents here is quite high, lots of retirees. I'm 43 and at the lower end of the average age i see out and about. This may not suit some people.

Queensland is the state for licenses and that can be a bit frustrating, you need one for just about everything.

If you fancy a chat and a couple of beers in the Buderim Tavern one night p.m. me your number. I havent ventured into there myself yet but am fond of the odd schooner of pure blonde. :)

Hope things look up for you soon,

Billy

• 1 year later...

Hello again,

Just a quick update. The last six months have been fantastic! I went home and have done nothing but work at a job I like, see friends, travel, wear clothes that aren't designed to be under water, went surfing in HUGE waves with no crowds, ate out in 700year old pubs, saw friends and generally lived like the old me, happy and enjoying life :-)

75.5hours ago that all changed again when I got back to oz but at least I can always leave and know that I can be happy.

Why did things turn around so quick for me? Well, airline destroyed my surfboard, oz mobile phone company doesn't support Whatsapp so can't keep in contact with friends and familly and its so bloody hot here I've got a sweat mo!

I hate this country and AM leaving ASAP

Guest katie007
Hello again,

Just a quick update. The last six months have been fantastic! I went home and have done nothing but work at a job I like, see friends, travel, wear clothes that aren't designed to be under water, went surfing in HUGE waves with no crowds, ate out in 700year old pubs, saw friends and generally lived like the old me, happy and enjoying life :-)

75.5hours ago that all changed again when I got back to oz but at least I can always leave and know that I can be happy.

Why did things turn around so quick for me? Well, airline destroyed my surfboard, oz mobile phone company doesn't support Whatsapp so can't keep in contact with friends and familly and its so bloody hot here I've got a sweat mo!

I hate this country and AM leaving ASAP

Funny......Made my day....

Hi My Wife wanted to move back to Qld and I have come along as well but am having a terrible time trying to live here.

We moved over on the 21st April, got married 4 weeks later and then, thankfully I had to return to UK and Spain for 7 weeks, which, apart from wedding day, has been the only time I've been happy since April.

We have moved to the sunshine coast, to a 'village' called buderim. Its like going back in time, everything is so backward here, people hardly ever talk ot each other let alone us. I introduced myself to 2 neighbors, 1 just sneered through the window and the other looked at me like a rapist. The only people who have actually spoken to me are an elderly couple who turned out to be English!

Before moving here I spent alot of time cycling, running going to gym and surfing. Since being here I hardly do anything, the surf is always flat or packed with people who are blind or arrogant, am fed up of people dropping in or trying to stare me out of the water, the gyms are under equipped and tiny and I'm finding cycling hard as I am constantly dripping in sweat if I so much as walk in the sunlight.

I hate the weather, boiling hot and burning sun or boiling hot and biblical rain!

Since moving here I also seem to be getting a lot of headaches which is new for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so please let me know how you beat it as I'm getting to breaking point.

Please don't reply with "its so wonderful here, I wish I'd moved earlier' Am sure lots of people like it even more than I hate it, but not finding those comments to helpful at the mo.

Cheers J

So move somewhere else in Oz that isn't like Qld. I'm used to the heat but I wouldn't live in humid Qld if you paid me!

Guest katie007
The obvious question is...why did you come back?

Glad you asked as thought with the issue may be too early to ask, but interested WHY......

Why am I back?

My wife moved to Brisbane when she was 8 and wanted to live near her parents.

I visited, moved to and returned to oz only for her.

Stupidist thing I have ever done, think I should put my own happyness first in future as I'm not the happy little booy she met and lived with up until 19th April 2011 :-(

Guest katie007
Thanks for the trying but I the Sunshine coast is far to crowded and busy as it is. I need countryside and greenery, empty spaces and cold weather

You are hard to please......Tassie or NZ as one other suggested, you may fit in well with the Kiwis.

Thanks for the trying but I the Sunshine coast is far to crowded and busy as it is. I need countryside and greenery, empty spaces and cold weather

Wants cold weather, moves to Queensland? Says everything right there.

Guest The Pom Queen

Melbourne - 4 seasons in one day, plenty of greenery even snow.

Not wanting to sound too direct or harsh, but...

If your wife wants to live near her parents in Brisbane and is happy then you have a problem.

You either need to have a major attitude adjustment and decide that you will be happy (happiness is a choice), or convince your wife to try Tassie (only a short flight away from in-laws).

Otherwise it may ultimately lead to resentment and marriage breakdown.

Not wanting to sound too direct or harsh, but...

If your wife wants to live near her parents in Brisbane and is happy then you have a problem.

You either need to have a major attitude adjustment and decide that you will be happy (happiness is a choice), or convince your wife to try Tassie (only a short flight away from in-laws).

Otherwise it may ultimately lead to resentment and marriage breakdown.[/quote

It would appear from the ops posts that he has not lived with his wife since 2011!?