Having a VERY hard time living here, anyone else had this problem?

jonathancowen

Hi My Wife wanted to move back to Qld and I have come along as well but am having a terrible time trying to live here.

We moved over on the 21st April, got married 4 weeks later and then, thankfully I had to return to UK and Spain for 7 weeks, which, apart from wedding day, has been the only time I've been happy since April.

We have moved to the sunshine coast, to a 'village' called buderim. Its like going back in time, everything is so backward here, people hardly ever talk ot each other let alone us. I introduced myself to 2 neighbors, 1 just sneered through the window and the other looked at me like a rapist. The only people who have actually spoken to me are an elderly couple who turned out to be English!

Before moving here I spent alot of time cycling, running going to gym and surfing. Since being here I hardly do anything, the surf is always flat or packed with people who are blind or arrogant, am fed up of people dropping in or trying to stare me out of the water, the gyms are under equipped and tiny and I'm finding cycling hard as I am constantly dripping in sweat if I so much as walk in the sunlight.

I hate the weather, boiling hot and burning sun or boiling hot and biblical rain!

Since moving here I also seem to be getting a lot of headaches which is new for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so please let me know how you beat it as I'm getting to breaking point.

Please don't reply with "its so wonderful here, I wish I'd moved earlier' Am sure lots of people like it even more than I hate it, but not finding those comments to helpful at the mo.

Cheers J

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest30038
I'm finding cycling hard as I am constantly dripping in sweat if I so much as walk in the sunlight.

I hate the weather, boiling hot and burning sun or boiling hot and biblical rain!

I feel for ya mate and can only suggest you bale out now considering that you arrived in Autumn through to winter. If you think it's been hard, just wait till summer hits.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi J

Please don't think you are alone, go and have a look in the "Moving Back to the UK" part of the forum, there are lots in a similar position.

Have you sat down with your wife and told her how you feel?

K

The headaches are probably dehydration, when it's humid you don't feel as thirsty, but you are sweating lots in the heat so do need to be drinking lots.

It can take a while to get used to QLD weather, some people never do. Would your wife be amenable to moving elsewhere in Australia? As it does seem to be mainly the weather and small town australia that seems to be getting you down. A larger town/city further south might suit you better.

People vary from street to street, just like they do in other countries. Some neighbours will be friendly, others don't give you the time of day.

You're not alone, one man's heaven is another man's hell. But Australia does have enough variety, that you should be able to find somewhere that you can settle in easier.

Hi

Yep she knows how I feel but try not to talk about it much as it usually ends with her telling me how great it is and how bad UK is, very helpful.

When my head isn't pounding I find hitting a punch bag at the gym over and over again is helping a little. Maybe I should get my door licence and make some money out of my new found aggression!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

If your marriage is suffering because of it and you keep thinking of excuses to go overseas then I think your wife really does have to sit and listen. Does she have any ties to Queensland, like someone else suggested could you not look at moving interstate.

Have you managed to secure work whilst being here as sometimes not having a job doesn't help the situation?

she grew up in brisbland after her parents moved here.

Not working yet as high unemployment in area and more government paperwork has got in. In the uk I'm a bodyguard so nothing for me to do locally anyway. Was told that I'd need to complete a security guard course if I wanted to work on a pub or shop door! Said I'd love to attend but couldn't commit as I was expecting a call from a saudi princess to travel with her as personal security so wouldn't be able to learn how to check bags!

Big Hugs for you :hug:, it must really difficult when one likes it and the other doesnt. I must admit i would suggest what others have said and try a different area, the Sunny Coast and Budrim are quieter than alot of other popular areas in QLD, you may well find if you can make some friends and get out doing the hobbys you enjoy life might become more bearable.

If you really like the sunushine coast then even look a tad further down at one of the busier areas like Caloundra or Bribie Island.

What ever you decide ,heres sending lots of luck for your future

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
she grew up in brisbland after her parents moved here.

Not working yet as high unemployment in area and more government paperwork has got in. In the uk I'm a bodyguard so nothing for me to do locally anyway. Was told that I'd need to complete a security guard course if I wanted to work on a pub or shop door! Said I'd love to attend but couldn't commit as I was expecting a call from a saudi princess to travel with her as personal security so wouldn't be able to learn how to check bags!

:laugh::laugh: No wonder your wife moved you to a village where you couldn't find work, I think I would be doing the same to my hubby if he was travelling round the world with Saudi Princesses :laugh:

Guest Bob Tonnor

Hi

Actually i had a very similar experience down in a place called Bungendore,http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/search/results/NSW/Bungendore its no coincidence that both places start with a b, well i hope not! Anyway my partner got a transfer to Queanbeyan 4 years back, it was pretty much take the transfer or leave the job. On the whole Bungendore is a nice enough place, a bit boring, i found it a bit backward myself, no one really talked to each other, we were after all outsiders. I got a job in Canberra and we slowly settled in but i always, i wouldnt say hated but resented the place and so even the smallest things annoyed me. After 10 months neither of us could put up with it any longer and we moved the 1000km back to where we came from after my partner got a lateral transfer to another govt department. When i drove out of the place i did not look back, i grinned for the first hour of the drive back north. I went back down to Canberra two years after to visit friends and it was only then that i realized that i didnt hate Canberrra or Bungendore, i quite liked the places to visit, what i didnt like was the fact that it was not my choice to be there, we were basically forced to there and because it wasnt my choice it colored the whole experience for me. Hope that helps, i cant suggest a solution but the problem might not be the place. By the way Buderim looks quite nice, sorry http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/search/results/QLD/Buderim.

Hope that helps

Bob

Hi mate

May I ask, how long have you known your wife?

It sounds like you are suffering massively from culture shock. TBH Qld is probably the worst place to be from that point of view. Something has got to give. I can't honestly see how you're going to be able to resolve this unless your wife agrees to either move somewhere a bit more 'normal' ie Melbourne (too hot in Sydney/Brisbane, too dull in Perth/Adelaide) or go back to the UK.

hi jonathon.

well let me first start by saying..I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Me and my husband and my son moved here nearly 4 years ago...and i still hate it...

we currently live in melbourne, i find the people so rude, arrogant, and most of all RACIST!

I am so over living here with the long boring days...the expensive supermarkets and the terrible driving standards.

the country is so empty, dusty and boring..

We are in the proscess now of moving back to the uk..( the land of life )..yes it may be rougher in some areas..and it has its downfalls..but by god i cant wait to get back...i reckon BIG THUMBS UP to the uk..

the aussies think there's nothing outside of australia..also they think thy are the only people who done anything...and its so NOT TRUE!

They are a bunch of inbred neanderthal's...

I say pack up and get the hell out of here before you die of bordem..

yours truly....:hug:

hi bob, that sounds pretty much spot on actually. Its not buderim thtas the main problem, I have always lived in little villages so moving here was always going to be a transition, I have no idea where all the traffic comes from in the morning! am def not staying here, if I have to stay will move inland to somewhere quieter.

Like you said its the little things that get to you, but you're not sure why!?! I have always been a chirpy happy person but since being dumped at the airport I seem to have this underlying anger bubbling away, which I don't like! I think the weather is a major player in this as well, I have always loved winter and be told that this burning heat is supposed to be cold and that its only going to get worse doesn't help, just leaves me feeling helpless and more angry!

Can't help but wish I could get deported but not keen traded with a pineapple!

hi jonathon.

Me and my husband and my son moved here nearly 4 years ago...and i still hate it...

we currently live in melbourne, i find the people so rude, arrogant, and most of all RACIST!

I am so over living here with the long boring days...the expensive supermarkets and the terrible driving standards.

We are in the proscess now of moving back to the uk..( the land of life )..yes it may be rougher in some areas..and it has its downfalls..but by god i cant wait to get back...i reckon BIG THUMBS UP to the uk..

the aussies think there's nothing outside of australia..also they think thy are the only people who done anything...and its so NOT TRUE!

No wonder you are unhappy here, its probably written on your face as you look down your nose at Aussies.

Most Aussies have traveled a lot more than a lot of Brits as the country is far away and they head off to all corners of the globe on working holidays.

I think the way you describe Aussies is offensive.

Back to the OP. Unfortunately some people love Queensland and some people hate it due to the weather. I know we could not live there because my oh is a cyclist and there is no way he would be out there riding in the humidity. As has been said because its humid sometimes we do not realise we are dehydrated and just make sure you take heaps of water out with you.

I hope you can sort it out especially as you are so newly wed. However if your wife returned to the UK its highly likely it would be a reverse situation with her parents being in Brisbane and her wanting to be there.

Good luck, move south of Brisbane more life there.

• Like 1

Guest guest30038

I find neanderthals quite interesting. I lost a wheel off my boat trailer once and one gave me his spare. He said that he had made it himself............I'm thoroughly indebted to him :goofy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Australians didn't ask you to come here, if it's so bad I would suggest getting on the next plane home, life is too short to be miserable.I wouldn't even try another State as Melbourne is the most multicultural city in OZ.

Good luck with your journey home, at least you gave it a try.

Kate

hi jonathon.

Guest The Pom Queen
way to over-react to a troll people...

But believe it or not there are some who are soooo unhappy here, I know it's probably a small percentage but can you not see just how miserable they are:biggrin:

if you knew where i come from you would realise that i dont look down my nose at anyone,I too have also travelled the four corners of the world and can honestly say i have never came across a nation of racist people. im sorry if that offends you but its the truth.

Hi My Wife wanted to move back to Qld and I have come along as well but am having a terrible time trying to live here.

We moved over on the 21st April, got married 4 weeks later and then, thankfully I had to return to UK and Spain for 7 weeks, which, apart from wedding day, has been the only time I've been happy since April.

We have moved to the sunshine coast, to a 'village' called buderim. Its like going back in time, everything is so backward here, people hardly ever talk ot each other let alone us. I introduced myself to 2 neighbors, 1 just sneered through the window and the other looked at me like a rapist. The only people who have actually spoken to me are an elderly couple who turned out to be English!

Before moving here I spent alot of time cycling, running going to gym and surfing. Since being here I hardly do anything, the surf is always flat or packed with people who are blind or arrogant, am fed up of people dropping in or trying to stare me out of the water, the gyms are under equipped and tiny and I'm finding cycling hard as I am constantly dripping in sweat if I so much as walk in the sunlight.

Since moving here I also seem to be getting a lot of headaches which is new for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so please let me know how you beat it as I'm getting to breaking point.

Please don't reply with "its so wonderful here, I wish I'd moved earlier' Am sure lots of people like it even more than I hate it, but not finding those comments to helpful at the mo.

Cheers J

Hi Mate

I have been here since December 2010 and also live in Buderim. My take on things is that this is a superb spot. We have Mooloolaba down the road, Noosa is a short drive away and fantastic scenery. Thats my take on it and I feel that because you are not happy then you are finding lots to moan about.Thats human nature. Its not perfect here but where is. Have you actively looked for stuff to do? I know that Buderim has a very active cycle club?

JOHN

Hi Mate

I have been here since December 2010 and also live in Buderim. My take on things is that this is a superb spot. We have Mooloolaba down the road, Noosa is a short drive away and fantastic scenery. Thats my take on it and I feel that because you are not happy then you are finding lots to moan about.Thats human nature. Its not perfect here but where is. Have you actively looked for stuff to do? I know that Buderim has a very active cycle club?

JOHN

to be fair, I'm sure he has....

Guest Been there
hi jonathon.

Intelligent post that............................

Cheers J

Welcome to reality, you are living in another Country that has faults the same as any other Country in the world. If an Australian moved to the UK he could find as much to moan at as you that he finds that he does not like. Problem with any Country is the false promise that is a magical Country which when you get there you find out it is just as hard as the Country you left and has all the same problems you thought you were leaving.