An odd partner visa question!

Guest ChloeAndDan

Guest ChloeAndDan

Hi guys,

This is our first post! Hopefully one of you super helpful and intelligent people can lend a hand! We want to apply for a Partner Visa (309) in February next year once we have enough evidence. However we really want to get married in June after we have lodged the application i.e. get married during the application process (or just after if the visa comes through quick!). Can we do this? We know we really should apply for a prospective marriage visa (300) but for cost reasons we want to avoid this as it works out a lot more.

Any help you guys can give would be great!

Thanks in advance! :notworthy:

Guest GeorgeD

Sure, no problem doing this…assuming you are applying for the offshore defacto Spouse visa, if you get married during the application process you just need to let your Case Officer know that your circumstances have changed since the application. It’s the same visa so you don’t need to re-apply or anything. In your personal statements you should probably mention the wedding is booked, etc.

a prospective marriage visa is only for couples who don't qualify for the defacto route, and want to live together in Australia and get married in the first 9months of the visa.

Given that you do qualify for the defacto route and are getting married in the UK before you move, the PMV isn't the right visa for you. As george said, just apply the defacto route, and send in your marriage certificate when you have it.

I applied in February onshore, defacto route, and am getting married next month, so will just send them a copy of the marriage cert when I have it. At the time of application the wedding wasn't even a dot on the horizon.

If you are going to change your name, get your passport changed before you come out to australia, and just inform DIAC of the new details so they can transfer the visa over to the new passport number. Your passport is used for EVERYTHING when you first get out here, so definitely easier to get everything set up in your married name to start with, rather than having to change things later.

Guest ChloeAndDan

That is excellent! Thanks so much for your help, you guys are amazing!!! Do you think they would ever wait and not grant the visa until we were married?

• 1 year later...
Guest GeorgeD
I have just got married while waiting for a partner visa application to be processed. I've been told by immi that it makes very little difference to the application whether you're married or not. Nevertheless I still updated them of my new status. Had to fill out another form but it was pretty painless

The only difference is that if you are married you don't need to prove you have been in a relationship for 12 months prior to applying. Other than that it is exactly the same...you still need to prove you are in a genuine and continuing relationship and provide all the evidence they need. Processing time is the same whether married or not.