Breaking Renewal of Lease Agreement

Guest Sparticus

Guest Sparticus

Hello everyone

hope all is well and good? Not posted on here for a while as been loving oz life but now have a big problem and seeking help .

We are currently renting in Brisbane and have been in same property for past 6 months. our current and 1st rental agreement is due to end mid sept, we received renewal of this rental contract mid july which commenced rental agreement from mid sept till end jan 2012.

just previous to receiving the renewal contract my husband applied for a job in cairns but hadny heard anything, so when we received renewal contract ( 7 weeks before commencement date!!) we signed it, after a couple of phone calls from real estate agent chasing us up, then when they had lost it, threatening to issue us with a 'Notice to vacate'.

well, since then, my hubby has been offered the job and its too good an opportunity to miss, the problem is, the landlord doesnt want to let us out of this renewal contract which starts in 2 weeks(!!!!) as he doesnt want to be out of pocket.

We have sent him an email (via estate agent) but he doesnt want to budge..............Can anyone give us some advice or tips to help fight this???

Thank you in advance, we are desperate to get to Cairns but cant pay rent on 2 properties at the same time :err:

Hi

Unfortunately if you have signed a lease renewal you are tied in,unless you can get someone to take over the lease. If you tell the agent you have to re locate due to work they can re advertise the property for you (you will have to pay the ad costs),you can also try to help by advertising it on here and anywere else you can think of.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Unfortunately, as Cal say - you have signed a contract and therefore are duty bound to pay until the end of the contract. You need to look at it from the Landlords point of view as well - he is also just trying to make a living.

Many people do break lease's by finding someone to take over the contract. Usually you will have to pay the advertising costs and one week's rent - and of course the weekly rent, until someone else can be found to take over the contract.

Unfortunately I have found agents a little lazy on this sort of thing - there is no real incentive for them to find a new tenant when there is already one in place.

I hope things work out for you.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest MADTOM

My OH was offered a job in Melbourne whilst 7 months into our one year lease.

We contacted the Estate agent and explained our dilemma and said we would be flexible with moving dates, viewings etc ..

We had to pay 2 weeks rent and advertising costs but they found a tenant within a month.

Obviously you are tied in until a new tenant can be found (make sure house is pristine when someone looks around) but I'm sure Estate agents are willing to oblige after all people find themselve having to move all the time.

Hi We signed a 18mth Contract in the Sunshine Coast and 8 mths in my husband was offered another job in the Gold Coast, financially it wasnt viable to commute everyday so we put in a notice to QUIT our tenancy agreement and so got the ball rolling , we said it was for finacial reasons we were leaving , if you contact your bond Agency you can apply to the courts for $35 on these grounds and the majority of times the courts will grant you your notice to leave , this was going to be our PLAN B if we were not allowed to end our agreement, In this economic climate there are alot of people ding this now so i would advise you to contact the Bond agency ASAP with your problem.Its not like your new tenacy has began your just wanting to pull out before it starts Good Luck .You could always ask if he is not will to budge ask for a PERIODICAL agreement which is week to week, this will help him frind a new tennant untill you leave

Guest The Pom Queen

Just wanted to say Good Luck in Cairns, it's quite hot and the humidity is creeping back but it's stunning and I wouldn't live anywhere else x

In regards to the tenancy agreement I would just echo all the other comments. You will be able to break it but will be liable to pay until someone else is found.

Guest Sparticus

Thank you all for ur help and advice. Hopefully we will be able to leave at the end of sept and pay one months rent, that is the offer we think the landlord is offering us (the estate agent isn't being very clear on this yet) but we will be happy with that.

Ill keep u updated on whats happening and thank you all again.

Ps Moving to Melbourne do you live in Cairns?