bijit011

visa 175 and ACCA qualification

Hello everyone,

I am an ACCA affiliate. Can any one tell me how much point I might get for my qualification in the new point system for visa subclass 175? The departement website gives the below info -

Doctorate - 20 points

Bachelors - 15

Other recognised by assessing authority - 10

I guess its going to be either 10 or 15.

Please help.

Bridge :)

(Accountant General) 189 EOI: 05/13 (60 points) invited 05/13 Visa application May/13 Grant: Sep 2014:cool:

Guest Abbottone

Bachelors - 15

Thanks Abbottone for ur quick reply.

I am still a little confused as the DIAC website states 10 points are given for an "award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation". As my qualification as an ACCA affiliate will be recognised by the assessing authority are the DIAC automatically award me 10 points?

Apologies if i am creating any confusing here but I just want to make sure before I start the process as getting a 10 would leave me with 60 points overall.

Thanks.

Bridge

(Accountant General) 189 EOI: 05/13 (60 points) invited 05/13 Visa application May/13 Grant: Sep 2014:cool:

Guest Abbottone

CPA are one of the agencies that will be assessing your skills level. They state that ACCA is recognised as meeting the required qualification - they also refer to it as "batchelor" level.

You should give their website a quick check. They will also be reviewing your recent work experience and work experience for points allocation.

I cant advise you what they are like checking your experience meets the requirement or at what point "that experience starts" (ie. post qualified ACCA or Entry to ACCA), there are mixed messages on this forum and I'm fairly new to all this...

Good luck

Yes I also got mixed resoponses on these issues. Thanks anyway. I am also new to this website but it looks quite helpful so far.

Would be glad to have some comments from experienced members here.

Bridge :)

Guest NatsB

We got our assessment back from CPA last week stating ACCA associate status equal to Bachelors degree, so this counts at 15 points.

Nats

Hi NatsB, Do u think I might get the same result from CPA as I am not a full member of ACCA yet (I am an Affiliate)?

Guest NatsB

Sorry, the letter clearly states

'your associate membership of ACCA is assessed as being equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree'

It seems the membership is the important bit, not the exams?

Nats

I better wait another few months then until I become a full member. Thanks Nats.

Bridge

You get positive results in two cases having ACCA:

1. ACCA affiliate + bachelors degree equal to australian standard = positive

2. ACCA full membership = positive.

I got my +ve skills assessment as full member of acca. But if uve a bachelors degree comparable to australia one (UK bachelors degree are) and ACCA passed then u can get +ve. Even if u havent passed a couple of non-accounting type papers u still pass! (for example P3 -business analysis)

ICAA Skills assessment as Accountant: 11/09, Applied 175 CSL Jan '10, IELTS: 8.5 overall, CO: 03/10, Medicals Fin. 04/10, Internal checks: Completed, Stuck with external checks. :mad: Meds Again: 7/11, Grant: 5/9/11!!! :D

I got my +ve skills assessment as full member of acca. But if uve a bachelors degree comparable to australia one (UK bachelors degree are) and ACCA passed then u can get +ve. Even if u havent passed a couple of non-accounting type papers u still pass! (for example P3 -business analysis)

Thats great to hear. One last question, will they consider the BSc degree that I have got from Oxford Brookes uni? Asking because the degree was achieved through ACCA after passing foundation level subjects and NOT by directly attending the University. Hope you understand wht i mean.

Thanks.

Bridge

Guest NatsB

I don't know.

They are dubious of any exemptions you get for ACCA, you have to re-prove their equivalent.

I have an accounting degree majoring in auditing/accounts. This gave me exeption for all but the final professional exams with ACCA, but CPA wanted me to supply all syllabus details etc to verify exactly why exemptions were granted.

They might accept it (after all it is a batchelor degree) but then they might also go round in a circle and say: - ACCA affiliate is not good enough... Your degree is based on affiliate status, therefor the degree is not enough. Also, the degree still needs to cover the required core areas, which it may not as it does not include the professional stage papers.

Any one else feeling dizzy?

NAts

Thats great to hear. One last question, will they consider the BSc degree that I have got from Oxford Brookes uni? Asking because the degree was achieved through ACCA after passing foundation level subjects and NOT by directly attending the University. Hope you understand wht i mean.

Thanks.

Bridge

Yes I know about the OBU degree. I have got that my self too but I applied after obtaining membership.

By the looks of it the OBU degree is like any other degree of the UK in terms of recognition. And any bachelors degree of UK is comparable to an Australian bachelors degree.

So in my opinion you should be good to go, because any bachelors comparable degree is accepted + ACCA qualification.

Basically, the requirement is that you fulfill those core study requirements. BUT you need a full qualification too. So if I have an arts bachelors degree + I have studied subjects that fulfill the criteria of study requirements then I would still be able to get +ve assessment.

So I think it's worth a try. It should work.

ICAA Skills assessment as Accountant: 11/09, Applied 175 CSL Jan '10, IELTS: 8.5 overall, CO: 03/10, Medicals Fin. 04/10, Internal checks: Completed, Stuck with external checks. :mad: Meds Again: 7/11, Grant: 5/9/11!!! :D

I don't know.

They are dubious of any exemptions you get for ACCA, you have to re-prove their equivalent.

I have an accounting degree majoring in auditing/accounts. This gave me exeption for all but the final professional exams with ACCA, but CPA wanted me to supply all syllabus details etc to verify exactly why exemptions were granted.

They might accept it (after all it is a batchelor degree) but then they might also go round in a circle and say: - ACCA affiliate is not good enough... Your degree is based on affiliate status, therefor the degree is not enough. Also, the degree still needs to cover the required core areas, which it may not as it does not include the professional stage papers.

Any one else feeling dizzy?

NAts

The professional level of ACCA is set at a Masters level. So you don't study those subjects in bachelors degree anyway, not in UK not anywhere else. And core subject requirements does not include subjects like advanced financial management and corporate reporting anyway. You study these subjects after you have done your bachelors.

Plus the thing that is important is the degree granting status. The subjects of the OBU bachelors degree have unique course codes from OBU plus they bear credit hours like any other bachelors degree in UK. And is awarded with honours like any other bachelors degree in UK again.

And ACCA affiliate is good enough if you have a bachelors degree. And we don't get this bachelors degree 'automatically'. We have to submit a thesis to complete the requirement of the degree. So its not entirely just ACCA.

I think it's good to go. Plus the bachelors degree requirement does not strictly require coverage of the core areas, because those core areas are covered through ACCA exams. The 'degree' requirement is completed by OBU, the core areas requirement is completed by 'ACCA' exams. One could very well have an art degree and diploma that covers the core area and still receive positive assessment.

Yes I know about the OBU degree. I have got that my self too but I applied after obtaining membership.

By the looks of it the OBU degree is like any other degree of the UK in terms of recognition. And any bachelors degree of UK is comparable to an Australian bachelors degree.

So in my opinion you should be good to go, because any bachelors comparable degree is accepted + ACCA qualification.

Basically, the requirement is that you fulfill those core study requirements. BUT you need a full qualification too. So if I have an arts bachelors degree + I have studied subjects that fulfill the criteria of study requirements then I would still be able to get +ve assessment.

So I think it's worth a try. It should work.

Thank you so much for puttin up so much valuable information. I am preparing for the IELTS exam and as soon as I get my IELTS result I will give it a go.

Will let you guys know if I get a positive assessment so that it helps others like me. Which one do you think I should apply to, CPA, ICAA or IPA? Which one did you get urs from?

Thanks.

Bridge ;)

Thank you so much for puttin up so much valuable information. I am preparing for the IELTS exam and as soon as I get my IELTS result I will give it a go.

Will let you guys know if I get a positive assessment so that it helps others like me. Which one do you think I should apply to, CPA, ICAA or IPA? Which one did you get urs from?

Thanks.

Bridge ;)

I did mine from ICAA. But I cannot suggest if you should go with a particular one in your scenario. I have seen people suggesting that CPA has less rigorous requirements but I wouldn't believe that. Plus u shud get ur assessment done from an accountancy body in which you think are going to pursue, if you decide to. ICAA is like ICAEW in UK (The Institute) and one of the best accountancy bodies in the world. CPA is like ACCA boasting about global **** and all (LOL) but still second tier (dont worry im ACCA my self lol). And NIA well i have seen an australian CA having now idea about NIA.. so u can imagine. But for assessment all three shud be similar.

Guest NatsB

I went with CPA - application and tracking online, which I am not sure the both the others do?

They provided separate statements on my degree and my ACCA, someone on this forum applied to the Aussie chartered accounting one and was simply given an overall 'ok'. This means they now have a problem defining the start of skilled work experience as they had their degree longer than ACCA. The post about six weeks ago.

For me, I have fifteen years total experience,including 5 year as an articled clerk, yet only got ACCA three years ago. Without separate degree/ACCA assessment I could not count much work experience as skilled.

Nats

I went with CPA - application and tracking online, which I am not sure the both the others do?

They provided separate statements on my degree and my ACCA, someone on this forum applied to the Aussie chartered accounting one and was simply given an overall 'ok'. This means they now have a problem defining the start of skilled work experience as they had their degree longer than ACCA. The post about six weeks ago.

For me, I have fifteen years total experience,including 5 year as an articled clerk, yet only got ACCA three years ago. Without separate degree/ACCA assessment I could not count much work experience as skilled.

Nats

Yes that's true. The skilled work experience is counted after you acquire a degree or a professional qualification.

In the degree's case the degree will need to be accounting related.

I did mine from ICAA. But I cannot suggest if you should go with a particular one in your scenario. I have seen people suggesting that CPA has less rigorous requirements but I wouldn't believe that. Plus u shud get ur assessment done from an accountancy body in which you think are going to pursue, if you decide to. ICAA is like ICAEW in UK (The Institute) and one of the best accountancy bodies in the world. CPA is like ACCA boasting about global **** and all (LOL) but still second tier (dont worry im ACCA my self lol). And NIA well i have seen an australian CA having now idea about NIA.. so u can imagine. But for assessment all three shud be similar.

Thanks mate. Guess m not the only one bothered by the so called second tier degree...lol.

Nats

Does that mean dat ur work experience got counted from d end of ur bachelors degree and not after finishing ACCA?

Guest NatsB

Yes, because the experience is from after the degree which was accepted for the skills assessment in it's own right.

But I do not have an assessment of my experience from CPA - don't know if I will bother - as from what I can interpret it is not an actual requirement, simply an opinion (and not a guaranteed one) as to whether it will meet the visa points requirements.

I'm trying to get a straight answer on this from CPA, but no luck yet.

I know that the last post was a couple of months ago, but any update?

I have just received my IELTS results (8.5 overall), so I am gong to apply to ICAA tomorrow. I am an ACCA memeber since 2008, but have no degree. I'm hoping to claim 15 points for the qualification. If not then hopefully 10 as a minimum with the additional 5 as work experience...

IELTS: 17/11/2011 Reading 8.5, Listening 8.5, Writing 8.0, Speaking 9.0, Overall 8.5. ICCA Skills Assessment: Mgt Accountant, sent 18/11/2011, positive assessment 22/12/2011, 175 visa application lodged 24/12/2011, visa grant 22/06/2012, arrived in Brisbane 20/03/2013

hello,

do u have any info regarding whether one can recieve positive skills assessment based on being only part qualified and has bsc hons in applied accounting from oxford brookes uni.