Will there be an issue?

Guest ech0

Hello,

I'm currently looking to move to Australia on a working visa for a year with a friend. I've spoken to the Visa Agency and they have reviewed my application and said that there wouldn't be a problem with obtaining a visa, which i will be paying the Agency to go ahead with the visa application at the end of next month.

In the past week, I was arrested for something i did not do and am currently on bail awaiting notice whether it to be dropped, charged or something else. I was arrested for Domestic Criminal Damage.

My problem is, currently i do not have any criminal convictions against my name and as i have applied through the Visa Agency i was thinking about paying them to apply while I'm still on bail, as i still don't have any convictions.

But what i really need to know is, if visa is accepted while i don't have any convictions but when the date comes to going to Australia, and i have a conviction for domestic criminal damage will i be allowed in?

I would normally just wait for the Agency to return my call, but as it's bank holiday i would like to know sooner.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Everything I've read on the forum and elsewhere indicates a year prison sentence is the cut off point. Anything less than that, a caution, a fine, community service, a shorter sentence doesn't go against you.

I suppose they will want to see your Police check certificate before issuing which is valid for a period of time and when you get one soon you'd have no convictions on it, it's a status check at that time only. Maybe your better off getting one of those now.

Anyhow if this is your only conviction and if you regret it then your starting out fresh in Australia, a good thing anyway.

They don't require a Penal Certificate for a working holiday visa, but on arrival you have to declare any convictions on the landing card.

This is a statutory declaration and it's advisable to declare any convictions wether you have a visa granted or not, if you try to hide anything and they catch you out you will be refused entry & deported.

Honesty is the best policy.

They don't require a Penal Certificate for a working holiday visa, but on arrival you have to declare any convictions on the landing card.

This is a statutory declaration and it's advisable to declare any convictions wether you have a visa granted or not, if you try to hide anything and they catch you out you will be refused entry & deported.

Honesty is the best policy.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your advice, i have to admit, i agree with honesty is the best policy.

What are the chances of getting to the airport and being refused entry after i declared the conviction? That's my main worry.

Thanks all for your replies.

As long as you're not sentenced to 12 months or more it won't affect your WHV. I have however heard of people being refused a visa (which required a police check such as a 176) because they hadn't been honest on a previous entry to Australia.

If you are applying for WHV 417 you can do this yourself online, you dont need to pay an agency to do this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

Hi

Thanks for that information.

The reason i was going to go through a agency, was because it seemed like quite a bit of trouble setting up a Australian Bank account & Tax code and getting a Australian phone number from the UK before i enter Australia, and it seemed easier to go through a agency and have this all done for me.

I will have to try and find some advice on setting up these things myself and weigh up the pro's and con's of doing it myself rather than a agency doing it for me.

Thanks for your reply lebourvellec

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your advice, i have to admit, i agree with honesty is the best policy.

What are the chances of getting to the airport and being refused entry after i declared the conviction? That's my main worry.

Thanks all for your replies.

I think you are worrying about nothing, if you didn't do it you will hardly be convicted.

I went with BUNAC when went over on WHV. But once I arrived in oz I realised that there were free places giving the same info that paid for, TCP office was across the road from the BUNAC office.

I went for the full bunac package with the flights etc, as I was going on my own I met people and travelled with them for about 5 months.

Opening bank account, very easy when you get there, just go to bank with passport and visa. Tax file no, apply online.

Prob get better deals on sim cards once in Australia, I know vodaphone, do good deals. Top up $30 get $150 worth of credit. Just go to any shop and buy one.

Check out

http://www.travellers.com.au/

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workaustralia/

http://vodafone.com.au/personal/prepaid/home/index.htm

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/38760.htm

TRAVELLERS CONTACT POINT - SYDNEY HEAD OFFICE

Level 7, Dymocks Building, 428 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA

Hello,

I'm currently looking to move to Australia on a working visa for a year with a friend. I've spoken to the Visa Agency and they have reviewed my application and said that there wouldn't be a problem with obtaining a visa, which i will be paying the Agency to go ahead with the visa application at the end of next month.

In the past week, I was arrested for something i did not do and am currently on bail awaiting notice whether it to be dropped, charged or something else. I was arrested for Domestic Criminal Damage.

My problem is, currently i do not have any criminal convictions against my name and as i have applied through the Visa Agency i was thinking about paying them to apply while I'm still on bail, as i still don't have any convictions.

But what i really need to know is, if visa is accepted while i don't have any convictions but when the date comes to going to Australia, and i have a conviction for domestic criminal damage will i be allowed in?

I would normally just wait for the Agency to return my call, but as it's bank holiday i would like to know sooner.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

If you have pending legal issues of the type you described and you fail to declare them ....

Hi

Thanks for that information.

The reason i was going to go through a agency, was because it seemed like quite a bit of trouble setting up a Australian Bank account & Tax code and getting a Australian phone number from the UK before i enter Australia, and it seemed easier to go through a agency and have this all done for me.

I will have to try and find some advice on setting up these things myself and weigh up the pro's and con's of doing it myself rather than a agency doing it for me.

None of those things are hard to do, re opening a bank account etc. It is very straightforward doing it yourself once there. And yeah, easy to get a phone sorted in Aus once you land.

Personally for a WHV I'd not fork out for an agent. I know no one in person who has done so, all done their own applications.

You can even set up a bank account in Aus online from the UK these days. Plenty of people do so. Joys of the internet make is so much easier for people to do this sort of thing now. I remember the days of travellers cheques, expensive money transfers, phone cards and having to write letters home every month :cute:

• 2 weeks later...

HI, Im a little worried about my case.

I want to apply to Working Holiday Visa in Australia, but I have a crminial charge in my record.

Its was not a conviction, it was a Withheld Adjudication.

I would like to know If still have to declare it on past convction on the application form? (even if it was not a conviction)

The charge was cannabis possession (2 years ago) less than 20g.

I had no imprisoment time, only had to pay a fine and I paid it.

The case is Closed! It happens in the US while my visiting.

Only one time, never had any other kind trouble.

I would like to know if this would implie upon my visa application or if I could get the visa refused because of it.

Seriously waiting on some answers. :err:

Thanks all posters in advance

HI, Im a little worried about my case.

I want to apply to Working Holiday Visa in Australia, but I have a crminial charge in my record.

Its was not a conviction, it was a Withheld Adjudication.

I would like to know If still have to declare it on past convction on the application form? (even if it was not a conviction)

The charge was cannabis possession (2 years ago) less than 20g.

I had no imprisoment time, only had to pay a fine and I paid it.

The case is Closed! It happens in the US while my visiting.

Only one time, never had any other kind trouble.

I would like to know if this would implie upon my visa application or if I could get the visa refused because of it.

Seriously waiting on some answers. :err:

Thanks all posters in advance

Anything less than a one year prison sentence is usually nothing to worry about. Have a search of the forum for terms like 'conviction' or 'criminal charges' and I am sure you'll find more on the subject. Don't not declare it though. Should you ever wish to try to get a more permanent visa to Aus in the future and you don't declare stuff now, it could prove problematic later on.

Anything less than a one year prison sentence is usually nothing to worry about. Have a search of the forum for terms like 'conviction' or 'criminal charges' and I am sure you'll find more on the subject. Don't not declare it though. Should you ever wish to try to get a more permanent visa to Aus in the future and you don't declare stuff now, it could prove problematic later on.

thank you very much for the response !!!

U still think is going to be ok even if it was only 1 year a half ago?

Best Regards..