Bringing our puppy to Australia

andy228

Hi all! I'm at a bit of a dilemma. Got a job through a sponsored visa, decent relocation package and all that jazz. But, I have a 5 month old siberian husky puppy and I'm finding it hard what to do with the little one.

I really don't know what to do, it's looking at roughly £3.5k to take her to oz, and I just don't have that much spare cash lying around. I don't want to leave her as she has her own personality already and I see her as one of the family.

I'm also worried that by the time we head over (hopefully october) that she would struggle to cope with the warm weather.

Don't know what to do :confused:

Guest edwardsfamily

we had exactly the same dilemma....

6 months ago, and we had had our puppy for 8 months.

we didnt have the spare cash nor could i bare to part with him....

we ended up rehousing him...sadest decision of my life but did what was best for the puppy, not us.

he's now very very happy, we still miss him though.

whatever you decide, good luck!

A lot depends on where you'll be living as to how they'll cope with the weather - October shouldn't be too bad because it's the start of summer, and with some good thought about the dog's living conditions you can usually get them sorted pretty quickly!

For example, a friend of mine has a big Newf (dopey teddy bear that he is) and during the summer he fills up a paddling pool with water and freezes big chunks of ice (using old soft-drink bottles) that he empties into the pool to keep it cool.

As for the cost - yes it is a lot of money, but get some quotes and see how you get on :) If you'd really like to take her, maybe you could discuss with your new employers as to whether they could help out with the costs as part of the package - or even loan you the money and you pay it back over a few months through your salary?

The agent we're using for Satch is letting me pay bit by bit - it's easier to find £500 every couple of weeks than £2400 all in one go! Although she was a bit surprised when I wanted to pay earlier than necessary there were no objections after I explained my reasons!

I think the main concern for me is would you have time and places to exercise such an active dog once you move. Many areas have dog parks only (unless near a beach that allows dogs all year also) and these are not huge and can be busy with dogs. Husky's are working dogs in many respects still (they are not that many generations removed like many other breeds these days) and require a fair bit of exercise and mental stimulation to enable them to be well rounded dogs.

If you can give your dog the time and exercise she needs as she matures then fair play, if you probably can't, I'd consider rehoming her before you leave. Go back to the breeder with her and let her rehome her again or see if she has anyone wanting a 6 month old (often people do). Far better this (most responsible dog breeders will take a young dog back) than a rescue or some such, even a good one. You won't get your money back for her, but you'll know your breeder will care for her till she finds a new home.

If it were me, if I had the time to spend once in Aus as she grows, I'd try to take her (and if you can be living somewhere where she can be kept cooler in summer). If you can't be sure or won't have, consider rehoming her asap.

When we go over I will be the only one working, my partner will be at home with our son and the dog hopefully! Exercise is no problem at all, she gets plenty right now with me being nightshift. My partner is a husky enthusiast so she has trained her so far and the little pup is turning out to be a very clever dog.

We know what the breed requires so we are more than capable of handling her. The only thing I'm worried about is finding the money to get her to oz. The fact that shes the best dog I've ever had makes me want to get her to oz that bit more. Excellent with children and other dogs, doesn't wreck the house, shes rather greedy but thats it!

Could you consider leaving her for a month or so and fly her over once you have found a place and settled in etc. And then hopefully have the cash to pay for it all.

Or do as someone else suggested perhaps repaying via installment. Worth looking into also.

If you really want to bring her I am sure you will find a way.

The only other thing is to ensure you have her pet passport before leaving the UK as if things didn't work out for your job for whatever reason (and it does happen) you would be able to bring her back to the UK without quarantine. Otherwise you could be looking at a 6 month stay in quarantine which would cost a small fortune. Pet passport is well worth the money spent I'd think.