bridging visa please help!!!!!

tobleroney

Hi everyone,

I really need some advice. I came to Australia in May 2011 on a tourist visa with the intention of visiting a family member and returning home. While i was here i stubbed upon an opportunity that i couldn't turn down and accepted a position with the offer of sponsorship on a 457 visa (my sister-in-laws a director of a childcare centre and her ECT quit suddenly). To cut a long story short i accepted the opportunity and missed my plane home while i put in my application for the 457 visa. i had over a month till my tourist visa ran out. I hired a migration agent who submitted my visa. My tourist visa ran out yesterday and i have been asking my migration agent if i had to go home and he insisted no i would automatically covered by a bridging visa as soon as my visitors visa ran out. i had no reason to believe otherwise. Today i checked my visa status and it states i have no current visa!!!! does this mean i dont have a bridging visa and i am now an overstayer?!?! If so will this affect my 457 visa application? I have no money for a flight home because i was assured i wouldn't need one unless my 457 gets declined. i am very worried about this i never intentionally overstayed (i have copies of the emails i sent to my migration agent asking for clarification that i wouldn't have to go home, and him stating i was covered by bridging).

any body have any ideas? or where to go next? as it is Saturday i cant reach my migration agent till monday and im worried sick! I also have my 2 children here with me.

thanks toni

Firstly - relax and breathe.

If your agent is a legit one who's properly registered you'll be all good. Even if the agent was wrong, you've got the emails showing that you had no intention of overstaying and I think they'll take that into account.

Chase the agent up on Monday and get bolshy with them if necessary. Get them to show/share with you the info from DIAC that says you're ok. So long as you're not yet working of course....

Or you can trawl for info on the 457 visa processes on the DIAC website while you're waiting.

Good luck - I hope someone else can answer more accurately for you :)