3FatCats

Our first week in Sydney - bit long!

Hi PIO, thought I would post an update since spending our first week in Sydney. After travelling what felt like forever (in reality it was only 22 hours including a quick turnaround in Bangkok) we landed at 8 am in Sydney and got through both immi and customs without a second glance. The customs lady did ask us if we had any sausages (???) but we were let through once she was satisfied nothing was hiding in our pockets... my husband has been laughing about this since, of all the things we could have been carrying they were concerned about a few bangers! Unfortunately our hotel wouldn't let us check in until the afternoon so we decided to drive into Sydney centre to have a look around. Seeing the city, opera house etc was quite surreal at that time of the morning and with all that jet lag! Took advantage of being in town to collect our bank cards from NAB having already opened the account online and just wandered round in awe. After spending a lot of dollars on parking we vowed solemnly to always take the train from here on...

Husband popped into work to say hello and they have been very good and let him off all afternoons so we can find a house. This has been an interesting experience. All I can say is that if you want somewhere half decent it is going to be expensive. My husband is based in Yagoona but we didn't want to live here and have looked at the Hills area finally settling on Winston Hills. Most places we saw at the $500 mark I wouldn't have let a dog sleep there, and in England I believe squatters may even have turned their noses up. I am not kidding when I say this. We saw cupboards hanging off hinges, peeling wood, manky carpets and bathrooms from museum era, the lot. Luckily finally found a house yesterday that is clean and has modern kitchen and bathroom and since none of the other viewers seemed interested we placed the application there and then and got a call 10 minutes later to say we had been approved. Although it is not the house of our dreams, it will be a decent stopping point until we have got our bearings and understood exactly where we would like to live.

Yesterday we drove out to Coogee to see the beach and signed up with the local diving club, we are both experienced divers and this is one of our main priorities! Tony who met us was so friendly and we have already been invited to a club BBQ on the 14th Sept which will be good to make some friends. Coogee and Bondi are really pretty and it seemed like a good place to escape too to get out of town.

Also drove out to Eastern Creek to see the 3 fat cats. One recognised us as we were walking down the path and meowed his little head off! the other two played hard to get and basically let us know they were not amused, but they are all well and we will look forward to collecting them on 9th Sept. The attendants at quarantine are fantastic, so patient, and this really does make a difference.

So far it all still seems quite surreal, we have had a fairly balanced week with ups and downs, a few stressy moments but all in all we are coping well. It will be good to move into the house and start to establish a routine again and of course get the cats home. This weekend we are shopping for a sofa bed (thank goodness for Ikea) and some other bits and pieces, then having dinner in Sydney with husband's boss and Sunday we hope to book a whale watching trip from the harbour.

Sorry it is a bit long but after all the support I have received on here I wanted to give something back! Will update more as the adventure continues. xxx

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

It sounds like you are settling in already and joining that dive club will be a boost to getting you into a social life too.

I always used to stop swimming in May but this year I have been swimming right thru the winter and the water is OK - chill but not FREEZING.

I"m too nervous to dive but I keep meaning to get a snorkel for Clovelly.

Compared to diving in UK waters here will seem really warm!!! I am looking forward to it already. Which part of Sydney are you in MaryRose?

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Surry Hills which has become a bit of a trendoid place to be although I only moved here because I hated commuting. I could walk to Garden Island if I did not fancy the bus or train.

If I had had a job at Yagoona back in the day I would have moved there! It's got a station and the honour of being bissected by The Hume Highway?

You are at Winston Hills - no train there? Your husband will have to drive to work? I had to admit defeat and get my road map out to see where Winston Hills is. I don't posess a 'Gregory's' or a 'UBD' in my car nor a Sat Nav. I usually just Google the 'burb to get the route.

Maybe look at Picnic Point where my brother lives - south of Yagoona on the rail line south of East Hills/Panania/Revesby. I like his area, very leafy, quiet, understated homes. Might be a shorter commute?

I like Surry HIlls for its convenience to everything, bus at door, walk to Central Station, CBD 10 mins on the train, loads of restaurants and pubs.

I'm scared of the surf so like the harbour beaches as long as they have shark nets up or course. Redleaf between Double Bay and Rose Bay on New South Head Road has a permanent shark net with a boardwalk on top - so you can swim all year round. So has Watsons Bay and Balmoral over the north side. Neilsen Park - Shark Bay - and Parsley Bay lose their nets during the winter.

Clovelly has a natural reef which (I hope) keeps the sharks out and Bronte has a pool, Clovelly has one too.

Anyway, I'm waffling again, welcome to Sydney. Next time you go down to one of the East Subs beaches do the coastal walk between Bondi and Coogee. I've not walked it for a long time so I was surprised and pleased to see this brand new board walk below the cemetery between Clovelly and Bronte.

Awww that sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Shame about all the dodgy properties! But glad you found a nice 'stopping point' until you get properly settled.

Trying to get to Aus since 2008. Finally the end is in sight and we are starting to really plan.

Hubby, Paramedic.

Me, Adult Nursing student starting Sept 2018. 

Thank you for the post. We are Sydney bound as soon as we sell our house, so it made good reading, specially the rental bit. Do you mind me asking how much you ended up paying if $500 gets you rubbish?

Application sent 24/3/11. CO appointed 1/4/11. Meds 21/4/11 Visa granted 26/7/11

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I managed to swing the house in Winston Hills for $500 with a bit of negotiation, I think the agent liked us and thought we would take care of the property. As I say, it isn't a dream home and is probably half the size of my house in the UK, but it has lots of storage space at the back with a separate annexe and a large shed and outhouse. Our idea is to store most of our stuff there and then look seriously for a proper home in an area we both feel happy with.

As regards living in Yagoona.... yes it does have a station as does Bankstown but neither of us felt comfortable living out here, just not an area we could have settled in. My husband has a company car so will drive to work for now and I will also be buying a car shortly, and using bus, train, whatever I can find!!! Once I too get a job that will make our choice of suburb easier to choose as I would prefer to commute on public transport. Thanks for the advice on Picnic Point, I will check it out. We also like the beach so much I reckon we'll probably end up in Coogee...... :o) even if it means extra commute.

Think we will be going diving next weekend from Rose Bay, will also look into doing that coastal walk. Bye for now

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I managed to swing the house in Winston Hills for $500 with a bit of negotiation, I think the agent liked us and thought we would take care of the property. As I say, it isn't a dream home and is probably half the size of my house in the UK, but it has lots of storage space at the back with a separate annexe and a large shed and outhouse. Our idea is to store most of our stuff there and then look seriously for a proper home in an area we both feel happy with.

Sorry to have to repeat the question but (for the benefit of those of us who have no idea what size house you had in the UK) could you tell us the size of the property you've manage to get for $500? Use sq ft, sq metres or those strange Australian squares (they're 100 sq ft each I've recently found out) whichever you're comfortable with.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Hi Ken, sorry I have no idea of the square meters. To give you a better idea the house I will be renting has a farily medium sized sitting room, 3 ok sized bedrooms and a kitchen large enough for a table + bathroom, separate toilet and laundry room. It also includes a good sized separate annexe in the garden, a shed and another covered storage area. It has no garage but a carport with lockable gates. Hope this is useful. Maybe I will measure it when I move in next week :o) FYI my house in the UK is a large detached property with 4 bedrooms, living room, sitting room and double conservatory + garage. At a rough measure of where my furniture will (or will not) fit the Oz house has about half the space.