Advice please on bringing my dog to Oz?

Kathie

Hi, this is my first time on a site like this, so please make allowances...

I am hoping that someone may be able to recommend a company which will bring my golden retriever safely to Sydney from the UK, preferably Manchester. The web sites read well but if anyone has first hand experience it would be much appreciated. Thank you x

Hello and welcome

Try using the search function and throw in something like 'pet shippers, dog' or 'pet shipping, dog' and see what comes back. Or have a look back through other threads on shipping dogs. There are a fair few recommendations in other threads that might help.

FWIW, if you find one you are considering pop in here and post to ask about them before you go further and book. Or do a search for that particular company and see what is said. There are a fair few that people generally speak highly of.

Get a number of quotes and don't just pick the cheapest because its the cheapest. Pick what you feel is the best one for your dog.

One thing to look at is the size of the container they're quoting for - much of the airfreight cost is based upon volume, and I found that some of the cheapest quotes were for smaller kennels.

Plus do they meet you at the airport or leave you to it? Do you need someone to hold your hand or are you happy to sort stuff out yourself?

I've got Satch's kennel now, and have inspected it thoroughly - I think it needs a bit more finishing off to be safe for her (just a bit of sanding and sprucing up)

Plus I'm going to add

- some padding around the walls to keep her safer if there's turbulence - I've got a Yoga mat that's pretty much never been used, figure I'll cut it up and attach it to the walls.

- a proper vetbed and puppy pads rather than just the shredded newspaper they supplied to keep her out of her own wee!

But i'm happy to finish this stuff off myself anyway. The kennel itself is nice and solid which is the important thing!

The basic requirements iirc are that the dog has room to be able to stand and turn around in the crate. So ensure you measure and then have someone else do it as often people measure differently. If in doubt have your vet nurse or something also measure her.

Guest tommo66
Hi, this is my first time on a site like this, so please make allowances...

I am hoping that someone may be able to recommend a company which will bring my golden retriever safely to Sydney from the UK, preferably Manchester. The web sites read well but if anyone has first hand experience it would be much appreciated. Thank you x

Hi Kathie

We are using jets4pets and so far I so good. They are based at Yeadon which is another reason we chose them (we are Bradford). Noticed your west yorks.

Might add, all dogs to aus have to fly from Heathrow.

P.S. 1350 for our Cocker

Andy

Measuring Satch was one of the funniest things ever. We ended up doing it about 12 times and even so she kept rolling over when we were trying to measure how tall she is :)

In the end we went with the tried and true biscuit method.... Sure it meant she was stretching taller than normal, but I didn't think that was a problem :)

It was only once the kennel arrived that I was confident we'd done it right!

Hi Kathie,

I would highly recommend PetAirUK. I have just brought my thirteen year old border collie over to Sydney with us. She flew out on July 20th and came out of quarantine last week. PetAir were absolutely brilliant and I couldn't be happier with the service they provided. We only went with the silver package so I am sure if you went with the gold package they would be even better (although I can't imagine how they possibly could be). The best thing about them was that they actually cared, called our dog by her name and when we handed her over at the aiport, it was clear the person taking her was a dog lover. She even sent me a text to let me know that Jess was on the plane and was absolutely fine.

Happy for you to contact me directly if you have any other questions or if I can help with anything at all.

Sarah

Hi, I have been getting quotes recently for bringing my Golden Retriever to Sydney. On Friday I had a letter from one of the companies advising that as from 1st Jan 2012 New Zealand are putting in a Rabies protocol which they are sure Canberra will also adopt. I have been advised to chip (already done), rabies vacc and blood test asap, then 180 days from the blood being taken must have elapsed before the pet may be released from quarantine. If 150 days, or more, have elapsed before the pet arrives in Australia, there will only be 30 days quarantine, as it is at present. If only 135 days have elapsed, it will be 45 days and so on. If only 60 days have elapsed (minimum) it will be 120 days quarantine. Quarantine can only take place between 60 days and 12 months of sampling.

Thought I'd just share this information, in case anyone else like me was not aware that the changes would affect us bringing Lola over after January 1st. She will be vaccinated against rabies this afternoon!

Cheers, Kathy x

Guest paintpotty

Hi

We are going to sydney in november and are using ryslip group that are close to heathrow and that is where we are flying from.We are from wigan so manchester would of been much easier but all the quantas flights land at heathrow anyway,so we are going to drive down the day before and drop bella the boxer off then stay overnight in a hotel.cost for the dog is £ 2700 approx but they have been very good so far.Hope this helps a little:cute:

can I ask how long does it take to sort it all out, we haven't got our visas yet, but I am thinking about these things, so if I picked a firm today, how long before my dog could be shiped and does the company tell you what you need to do prior, do it all for you, or is there a website that tells you what and when to do stuff

thanks

Cal

Take a breath - it's actually not that complicated in comparison to Human visa's, and can be done fairly quickly (a couple of months).

This is the AU government website that talks you through everything - anything you don't understand just ask away!

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Some companies will do everything for you, or you can do some bits, it all depends on what you want :)

I agree with JOandJon, Its simpler than the humans!

I have chosen Jets4pets and my contact, Sam, has been really helpful and informative. They werent the cheapest or most expensive but what swung it for me was that Sam has been so helpful and reassuring as my dog will be 10 when she flies (9th Oct!!) and I was concerned about it.

Guest paintpotty

I contacted ryslip group as soon as we sent our visa off to australia house london,with measurements and what not,then as soon as we got our visas we just rang ryslip and they sent all info out and we paid a deposit of 300 pound,and final payment is when you take the dog to them.they have been very helpful and told us everything we need to know and when to book our dog in to our local vets for blood tests and kennel cough:biggrin:

We've gone with Petair for our Golden Retreiver, we did what you are doing, trawling all the websites for the best shipper, Petair came out tops, not the cheapest quote but so far all the help and advise has been 1st class, we chose the Gold package, dont need a last minute problem which leaves our furrie stranded, wife is worried enough!

I was tempted by their Gold package, but we live so far away from them it was silly expensive - even they advised against it!! When does your furry one fly?

If I could put husband in quarantine and keep the dog with me instead I think I'd rather do that. All he'd need would be (and I quote) guitar, ipod, internet connection, and an exercise bike (or another way to exercise)

If all goes well with visa we want to leave back end of November, the wife would probably trade me for the dog in qauarantine too, only she will be skint :laugh:

Lol :)

End of November is good time - Satchdog will be released (assuming good behaviour) around the 17th November, I'm hoping she can acclimatise before it gets proper hot! Also rather pleased the worst of her coat shedding will be whilst in quarantine where they'll be clearing it up!!

:)