short term rental for when we land

crosbyx4

we are due to arrive in melbourne 23rd Oct and i have been looking for a short term rental / holiday appartment type property for our inital weeks whilst looking for something more permanent ........ will be working in knox area can anyone recommend anywhere please :cool:

thank you I have looked on STAYZ but will check out realholidays now ! everything seems really expensive ........ i was thinking aroung 600 -700 for a 2 bedroom (2ad 2ch) but all prices are coming back at 900+++ in your opinion what is reasonable?

I think Melb is dearer than Adelaide in general isnt it?im no expert tbh,but we found plenty around the 4/500 mark tho,that was for april/may 09,good luck

Guest audabech

Hi this has been helpful. We family of 5, twin boys (3) and girl (1) arriving 18th Sept. Looks promising for a job for husband in Bayswater, he is willing to travel up to 50kms to work. Will look up these sites for temp accomodation on arrival. Advice on safe family orientated suburbs, looking at the Eastern suburbs I think. Needing childcare/playschools/nursery advise.

Cheers

if you're working in Knox you could look at anything around that area. it you're relying on PT (or only having one car) check out the public transport maps at http://www.viclink.com.au

I love the hills so am biased - Ferntree Gully has great links and shopping, Belgrave etc. Plus you're right at the foot of the Dandenong Ranges which are gorgeous :)

I just got thinking, and remebered where we originally stayed on arrival for the first 7 weeks :sad: http://www.katrinalodge.com.au/ when we first arrived. That was 4 years ago & we paid $700 p.w. ! at the time. It's just past Belgrave in the ranges.

Gary & Carmel were the owners at the time, but they have since sold it and I have heard that the prices are now much cheaper, but can only find this old website.

Maybe send them an email.

I would suggest only staying in the cottage if you are interested, and not in the B&B's.

It got a bit cold at night in the cottage, but has a decent heater, so it suited our means at the time.

Lol, I'm glad you've corrected it to Knox, I was thinking that it would be quite a journey from the beach :)

Melbourne's great, and the PT is quite easy - zone tickets mean you can jump between buses, trains and trams without thinking about it. The roads might freak you out a bit, OH kept getting confused because they were so wide and had so many lanes.... Little bit different to good old horse&cart canterbury :)

• 2 weeks later...
We managed to find a reasonable appartment in st kilda just for two weeks when we land so we can have a look around to find something more long term ...... any advice on areas around know greatly welcome x x

Where did you find the appt in at kilda? I'm arriving in Melbourne on te 21st October so looking around for something reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone absolutely shocked by the price of short term accommodation, or is it just me?! I know it's probably the same here but yikes!!! Here's hoping we can get a rental in a fortnight, I just don't know how we'd be able to afford any longer in short term accommodation....

Guest VickyMel
Where did you find the appt in at kilda? I'm arriving in Melbourne on te 21st October so looking around for something reasonably priced.

We saw an apartment in St Kilda - short term advertised as holiday type lets and cheaper as it was winter. When we got there it was pretty rough and was about to be fumigated - we decided to give it a miss.

But it was cheap for the area - around $400 per week for a studio apartment.

I saw another in the city at $350/wk that would have allowed us to take it for 2 months if we paid up front. It was the size of a garage.

But we had to be here to find those.

Right in the centre of the city was Home@Flinders - quite cheap for innercity accommodation (right next to Flinders Street Station) - I think it was something like 350 for a small studio and 450 for a 1 bed - furnished. They would have let us stay on a month to month basis.

(NB looked like mainly young short term residents & no parking & wouldn't suit many people)

Is anyone absolutely shocked by the price of short term accommodation, or is it just me?! I know it's probably the same here but yikes!!! Here's hoping we can get a rental in a fortnight, I just don't know how we'd be able to afford any longer in short term accommodation....

Yep short term accom is expensive - I think it is probably worth it to a large extent - you are paying for accom that someone has furnished and is probably providing linen and washing facilities and may not be full the whole time.

Plus all I have seen officially advertised have been of excellent standard unlike the cheapies I saw when we were looking.

I would have much preferred to have remained in short term accom for longer to look around a bit more and make more sensible decisions.

When taking up accommodation - depending on the amount of demand and the land lord you may also be able to reduce the 1 year contract to 6 months which may be useful to some.

• 1 month later...

have arrived in melbourne!!! (got here 23rd oct) and after a very busy week we have a car and have signed up for a rental !!! unfortunatly when we arrived on sunday the appartment that we had arranged in st kilda for our first few weeks here was very poor to say the least and def not suitable for children so we checked straight out ..... after we had been travelling for 30+ hrs it was not fun then trying to arrange somewhere else when we didnt have a clue where to start but came across the meridian which is not cheap but very secure, clean modern with great friendly staff so would def reccommend.

after looking around all areas surrounding knox we have secured a rental in Monbulk which looks like an amazing village in the mountains so we are really excited ! rentals are really competative so anyone out there thinking they will walk straight in to one from our experience its not that easy unless your not fussy about presentation of the property ..... we were really lucky to find what we did and it helps that the estate agent was really friendly and helpful.

short term rental is very expensive looking back i would have opted for a b&b in the outlining villages much more reasonable but if you are looking for an appartment you will pay for it.

good luck to anyone out there just starting to look to get out here if i can be of any help just message me x

we now just need to get the children in schools and await our container !!

Guest VickyMel

after looking around all areas surrounding knox we have secured a rental in Monbulk which looks like an amazing village in the mountains so we are really excited !

short term rental is very expensive looking back i would have opted for a b&b in the outlining villages much more reasonable but if you are looking for an appartment you will pay for it.

Welcome to Melbourne Crosbys

I can agree - short term rental is very expensive but also very useful for having that time to look around the potential areas you might live.

I think the best advice I can give it to try and have an idea of the areas where you might find work and therefore may want to live close to.

Unless you know you are most likely to find work in the CBD I would recommend getting that initial rental a bit further out. If you are not sure where you will end up maybe pick somewhere close to the railway so that you can zoot around on public transport.

Also rent wise further from the CBD the cheaper the rent.

We are about 15km from the CBD, 15 min by train, we pay $365/week for a 2 bed flat.

We were staying about an hour and a half from the CBD when we first arrived and could have obtained a lovely 3 bed detached bungalow for that...

Not been to Monbulk but got close with a visit to Fern Tree Gully - what a beautiful area. Furkew, often on here and all round nice guy, has a short term rental in Monbulk - looks lovely in case others feel like following you in that direction.

I would definitely prefer to be somewhere further out like that if we did not need to be close to the CBD. Oh the quality of a more relaxed life must be so much nicer.

Again welcome Crosbys!

• 1 month later...
have arrived in melbourne!!! (got here 23rd oct) and after a very busy week we have a car and have signed up for a rental !!! unfortunatly when we arrived on sunday the appartment that we had arranged in st kilda for our first few weeks here was very poor to say the least and def not suitable for children so we checked straight out ..... after we had been travelling for 30+ hrs it was not fun then trying to arrange somewhere else when we didnt have a clue where to start but came across the meridian which is not cheap but very secure, clean modern with great friendly staff so would def reccommend.

after looking around all areas surrounding knox we have secured a rental in Monbulk which looks like an amazing village in the mountains so we are really excited ! rentals are really competative so anyone out there thinking they will walk straight in to one from our experience its not that easy unless your not fussy about presentation of the property ..... we were really lucky to find what we did and it helps that the estate agent was really friendly and helpful.

good luck to anyone out there just starting to look to get out here if i can be of any help just message me x

we now just need to get the children in schools and await our container !!

Hi,

congrats on arriving safely. Luckily for us my company paid for a furnished apartment for 1st month in Ringwood, it was very expensive about $165 a night i think,

We are in Ferntree Gully for 1.5 yrs which is not far away if you need any local info just PM me. Sorry can't help with schools as our kids (if you call 20yr old kids) are still in UK, but anything else.

best wishes

Rob