The 856 Visa! (Permanent Resident)

Guest ArthurDent

Guest ArthurDent

Hi, Under the 457 visa i was under strict work-sponsor rules regarding what i could do for employment. Now that i have my Permanent Resident visa (856), i am wanting to know if i have to find another work-sponsor in the event of me being fired or if i quit from my current sponsor. Also, under the 856 visa, am i able to open my own business instead of working through a sponsor? Any information and or references would be greatly appreciated.

If you are fired, then there's no problem with you finding any other form of employment, you do not need to seek further sponsorship.

If you quit very soon after getting the 856, you could risk having your visa revoked if your employer reports you to DIAC, on the grounds that you lied in your application about your intention to take up the offer of the 2yr+ contract with your employer. How long you are expected to remain with the employer is a grey area. Obviously if the employer treats you badly (and you document this), then there wouldn't be too much of an issue.