what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

Absolutely thrilling.....

Before I came to Aussie I was only interested in soccer, now I'm into RL/RU/AFL, even Gridiron because I know a bloke who plays for the NSW league.

Remember what Roy and HG said 'Australia - where too much sport is never enough?' or words to that effect.

But you can also, at least in Melbourne, join the 'anti-football league'????

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture one is The Procession to mark Dame Edna's 70th birthday in Moonee Ponds.

Picture two is 'The Last Night of the Poms' at the Sydney Opera House.

Picture three is the pub where Bazza Mackenzie spat out his first mouthful of warm Pommie beer?

Fail :cute:

Fail :cute:

OK so there's something which links all three photographs? Hmmmmm. In the words of the old Spencer Davis Group hit from 1966? 'Somebody Help Me (please).

The third photo is where London's first ten quid pint of Cockney Pride was served?

The second photo is a 'toffs' riot

The first one is Reg Dwight's wedding.

But where is the link? Something to do with Watford **?

OK so there's something which links all three photographs? Hmmmmm. In the words of the old Spencer Davis Group hit from 1966? 'Somebody Help Me (please).

The third photo is where London's first ten quid pint of Cockney Pride was served?

The second photo is a 'toffs' riot

The first one is Reg Dwight's wedding.

But where is the link? Something to do with Watford **?

Cold :cute: keep trying.

Cold :cute: keep trying.

I finally got it!

The first two pictures are from Spiceworld - I recognize Richard E Grant and Becks. and the third picture shows The Spice Girls at their final reunion.

Ginger threw her port and lemon over Sporty. And they all ran out of the pub without paying? You can see them pretending to look for their purses.

Did you get their autographs?

Hi All!

This is my first post having discovered this site and, more specifically, this forum yesterday.

After 11 years in Oz, my wife and are thinking of moving back to the UK next year. Like everyone here, it's never an easy decision. It has definitely helped me to read everyone’s posts on here though. The thoughts expressed match my own, which is a huge relief as I thought we were strange and alone in our desire to leave the "lucky country" and return to "broken Britain".

We went back to the UK for 2 months recently and it reaffirmed my feelings that that is my true home. I miss so many of the material things that others do (beer, football, history, Europe etc etc) and of course, family and friends. But I think the thing that is hard to quantify is just that feeling of belonging. As many have said, this is probably a failing of my own personality but, even after 11 years, I still feel like I'm a guest in Australia. It does not feel like my home and I can't relate to Australians in the same way that I can to Brits.

It is easy to get negative about the country you are living in but I still feel very positive about Australia and don't regret coming here one bit. But, after a while, life does get into the normal routine that you had back home. I work in the Sydney CBD and my day includes 2+ hours on a bus and 9 hours in an air conditioned office with no direct window view. I could be anywhere for 5 days of the week. The weekends are good but there is only so far you can go and so much you can do in two days. Once you have seen one suburb of Sydney you have just about seen them all and the beaches, although fantastic, are not somewhere that you want to be every weekend (especially in the winter). It's when you get to this point that the things that you enjoyed but took for granted in the UK come into full focus.

Sorry for such a long first post but it's such a relief to find like minded people!

I shall continue to reference and (hopefully) add to this forum as we go through this coming year. we have a 7 year old son so there is one heck of a lot of things to organise. But others have done it and, thanks to this forum, it should be easier for us thanks to them sharing their experiences.

Welcome to PIO. As the site has grown over the years we found that more and more of our membership (for whatever reasons) were thinking of returning to the UK and that it wasn't an easy decision for them. This part of the forum is to offer support if we can, advice from people who are going through that process or are back in the UK.

People return for lots of reasons, we encourage other members to accept those reason (even if they're not ones they share). I hope we can give you some support along the way - Ali

Before I came to Aussie I was only interested in soccer, now I'm into RL/RU/AFL, even Gridiron because I know a bloke who plays for the NSW league.

Remember what Roy and HG said 'Australia - where too much sport is never enough?' or words to that effect.

But you can also, at least in Melbourne, join the 'anti-football league'????

mate.....mate.....MATE

NRL? AFL? Roy and HG??

You can go too far adopting aussie culture you know?

Why does one player in each AFL team (at most) wear a long sleeved jersey?

Why do some AFL players wear those black clips around the upper arm muscle?

Why is Aussie Rules the main sport in Victoria, WA,SA, TAS & NT whilst RL & (RU) dominate in NSW/QLD/ACT?

Where did Aussie Rules come from? (Gaelic football maybe but it's not exactly the same.)

Why does Aussie Rules get such massive support in Victoria.

Why am I loyal to Sydney in every code and sport except RL when I go for the Storm?

PROPER footy,not footy played by one country, as in F International FA

PROPER footy,not footy played by one country, as in F International FA

I wish the 'Galacticos' would go off and form their own super Euro league.

I wish there was a salary cap in the EPL so we could back to the days when ANY team could challenge for the championship.

This is one thing that I do like about the AFL and NRL. Collingwood and the Storm are kings at the moment but at any time they could be wooden spooners again.

I guess I am a hypocrite in so far as, if a rich Arab or Russian came along and pumped billions into Tottenham Hotspur I would be as happy as any Chelsea or Man City fan.

But I still don't like how the 'Galacticos' operate in their own world free from normal business rules. Real Madrid, Barcelona - Rangers and Celtic - the EPL is the same in some ways.

That's why I don't mind Spurs refusing to sell Modric to Chelsea, let Chelsea keep bidding more and more money but I would still be angry if he is sold - 'why didn't they just say to Chelsea '35M and he's yours?'

Why does one player in each AFL team (at most) wear a long sleeved jersey? 'Cos it's a stupid game and hasn't any rules.

Why do some AFL players wear those black clips around the upper arm muscle? For recognition

Why is Aussie Rules the main sport in Victoria, WA,SA, TAS & NT whilst RL & (RU) dominate in NSW/QLD/ACT? 'Cos they don't have any intelligence??...Or, can only play (and lose) against Ireland...IF they can agree on the shape of the ball.

Where did Aussie Rules come from? (Gaelic football maybe but it's not exactly the same.) A group of Victorian morons

Why does Aussie Rules get such massive support in Victoria. 'Cos there is nothing else to do in Vic

Why am I loyal to Sydney in every code and sport except RL when I go for the Storm? 'Cos you don't know any better???

:wink::wink::wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest57588
mate.....mate.....MATE

NRL? AFL? Roy and HG??

You can go too far adopting aussie culture you know?

Eh, leave Roy and HG alone, they're legends, right up their with Hoges and Burt Syrup-Head. Australia's finest :mad:

Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas

_47200887_elaine_carmody_bbc.jpg Elaine Carmody, 24, a mother-of-two, at the Tesco in her pyjamas

A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot.

Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted."

A spokesman said Tesco did not have a strict dress code but it did not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offended other customers.

He said he was not aware of any other Tesco stores having to put up similar signs.

People with shoes on their feet in super markets:eek:

Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas

_47200887_elaine_carmody_bbc.jpg Elaine Carmody, 24, a mother-of-two, at the Tesco in her pyjamas

A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot.

Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted."

A spokesman said Tesco did not have a strict dress code but it did not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offended other customers.

He said he was not aware of any other Tesco stores having to put up similar signs.

Exactly my point- totally unacceptable....if Coles or Woolies did this they'd be out of business:jiggy: