what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

My city Liverpool:notworthy:,the mersey,muddy brown or not, i love the waterfront,my footy club,the craic in my city in the pubs day or night,footy (proper footy!)at watchable times, im looking forward to big skies and the space in oz,but ive lived my life here,time for change,but Liverpool and its people will allways be my REAL home:hug:

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just why do you wish to return to the uk--and why hasnt australia given you all that you require to live there--is it family/comfort zone/jobs/culture/education--so what has the uk got that australia is lacking-as far as wanting to return to the uk from australia.

i have been back long enough to be over the romance of being in the UK .....family ....tv .....pubs .....humour etc .....iam well ingrained now .

What i love is having one of the worlds great cities down the road - london

and europe on the doorstep - the Uk is falling behind mainland westen europe though .

Eventually i just got "bored" in oz .....pure and simple .

Thats not a criticism of Oz ....thats a failing of mine

Hi All!

This is my first post having discovered this site and, more specifically, this forum yesterday.

After 11 years in Oz, my wife and are thinking of moving back to the UK next year. Like everyone here, it's never an easy decision. It has definitely helped me to read everyone’s posts on here though. The thoughts expressed match my own, which is a huge relief as I thought we were strange and alone in our desire to leave the "lucky country" and return to "broken Britain".

We went back to the UK for 2 months recently and it reaffirmed my feelings that that is my true home. I miss so many of the material things that others do (beer, football, history, Europe etc etc) and of course, family and friends. But I think the thing that is hard to quantify is just that feeling of belonging. As many have said, this is probably a failing of my own personality but, even after 11 years, I still feel like I'm a guest in Australia. It does not feel like my home and I can't relate to Australians in the same way that I can to Brits.

It is easy to get negative about the country you are living in but I still feel very positive about Australia and don't regret coming here one bit. But, after a while, life does get into the normal routine that you had back home. I work in the Sydney CBD and my day includes 2+ hours on a bus and 9 hours in an air conditioned office with no direct window view. I could be anywhere for 5 days of the week. The weekends are good but there is only so far you can go and so much you can do in two days. Once you have seen one suburb of Sydney you have just about seen them all and the beaches, although fantastic, are not somewhere that you want to be every weekend (especially in the winter). It's when you get to this point that the things that you enjoyed but took for granted in the UK come into full focus.

Sorry for such a long first post but it's such a relief to find like minded people!

I shall continue to reference and (hopefully) add to this forum as we go through this coming year. we have a 7 year old son so there is one heck of a lot of things to organise. But others have done it and, thanks to this forum, it should be easier for us thanks to them sharing their experiences.

• Like 1

Guest ShellBee

I'm new to this BUT couldn't help nodding my head to every thread! I've been in Oz for two yrs, I left the UK to be with my Aussie Partner. I've wanted to move back for the last 18 months but have been lucky enough to go back twice.

The UK has so much to offer despite being in a bit of trouble right now..The lovely countryside, nice houses, history, seasons, Christmas, close to other countries, music, pubs, shopping, food, people and most of all humour and the ability the moan. Lol! Amongest all those things above the main reason I want to go home is to be around my friends and family!

Oz is a great place but without the love from the people who really matter in your life it's never going to be complete!

Sydney and Melbourne have some wonderful colonial architecture, unique to Australia.

And Hobart has more than either Sydney or Melbourne.

Definitely plenty of houses like the second one in Tasmania.

No thatching though - a definite bushfire risk :eek:

Guest famousfive

My answer is in relation to what Ireland has rather than the Uk.

Life.

Ireland has a strong sense of cultural identity that walks easily beside us in todays modern world.Music,dance,art and literature play a very big part in Irish life and this is something I find lacking in Australia.It is here of course but is not such an integral part of life like it is back home.This leads to that elusive 'craic' that makes life in Ireland seem more alive in some way.

My friends here work,have kids etc...and then on the weekend they mow the lawn,have a bbq and go the beach,or maybe go away for a night or two and........go the beach and have a bbq somewhere else.......every weekend.For me that is like hitting the snooze button on life 40yrs too early.There is no excitement or spontaneity to their lives or ours,whereas in Ireland you never knew what the weekend would bring,a music session in the local or one at home 'til 2am after inviting aunty delia around for dinner for example.To hell with the lawn!!

I also think Ireland has more mixing of the generations,not just with those you know at a family 'do' but with people in general.For me it is totally normal to plonk myself beside an 80yr old at the bar and have a good yarn for the night.I feel this mixing of generations is very important and find it lacking in oz.

Irish people also tend to look out to the world for inspiration,opportunity and travel.The aussies I know are very insular in their thinking and have a not so healthy view of other nations.

Lastly,Irish people are very proud of their identity but feel no need to shout it from the rooftops.To be proud of being Irish does not mean we feel superior to others,does not mean we have a need to be the best in the world,does not mean we look down on other nations.It just means we are proud of who we are,we bring Ireland with us wherever we go knowing it will always be there for us if we choose to return.We usually don't brag about it or bag it.We are just glad we have it.

This comfort in our own skin is something I feel lacking in Australia too.

My friends here work,have kids etc...and then on the weekend they mow the lawn,have a bbq and go the beach,or maybe go away for a night or two and........go the beach and have a bbq somewhere else.......every weekend.For me that is like hitting the snooze button on life 40yrs too early.There is no excitement or spontaneity to their lives or ours,whereas in Ireland you never knew what the weekend would bring,a music session in the local or one at home 'til 2am after inviting aunty delia around for dinner for example.To hell with the lawn!!

jaysus yee have a way wit the words misses!

Love it FF - the snooze button too early! That's exactly what it is, sleepwalking one's way into old age ahead of time!

For me it is the sense of belonging, a place where I connect with other people, they get my warped sense of humour and they have a strong sense of community. I love the variety within a small space and the breadth of experiences from ancient to modern, rural to urban, top class cultural experiences, the chance to experience different cultures without spending an arm and a leg. I love the buzz of the big cities and the bucolic countryside - the changes of season. For me Australia is very blah - see one beach seen them all, done one big mountain walk done them all, seen one eucalypt seen them all. And, (current bugbear) the mail from anywhere else in the world takes so darned long to arrive!!!!

And Hobart has more than either Sydney or Melbourne.

Definitely plenty of houses like the second one in Tasmania.

No thatching though - a definite bushfire risk :eek:

Sorry about forgetting Tassie - I've not been there but I know it has a fine heritage - isn't there a famous bridge with graceful arches?

I understand why people miss 'home' but, living in a city like Sydney, I'm puzzled as to why they can't find subsitutes here.

French culture - Alliance Francais, German - Goethe Institute, Italian - don't know what it's called but it's all there in Leichhardt. Gaelic Club in Surry Hills plus innumerable Irish pubs to cater for Sydney's Irish community. Presumably they still like the craic living here?

Hundreds of restaurants for every country in the world from A to Z and of course you can go to a college and learn the languages from A to Z too.

Theatre, opera - what do think they built the Sydney Opera House for?, classical music, literature - Melbourne writing festival soon?

So Australia is a long way from Europe? So what? What about the South Pacific - Nouvelle Caledonie if you are a Franophile for example, What about SE Asia? half the distance from here that it is from UK.

I have a Turkish friend who told me that she prefers living in Sydney to Europe because she finds it to be more diverse.

Within a kilometre of where I live in Surry Hills, there is a 'little Lebanon', a 'litle Turkey', a 'little India', a mosque, two Chinese churches, a Pacific Islander church, Greek Orthodox church, Chinatown, theatres, galleries, innumerable restaurants and coffee shops.

Guest Guest 47403
just why do you wish to return to the uk--and why hasnt australia given you all that you require to live there--is it family/comfort zone/jobs/culture/education--so what has the uk got that australia is lacking-as far as wanting to return to the uk from australia.

7.9% Unemployment?

Guest Dirtbagbaby

Well when i joined this community i was umming and arghing whether to go back to Oz but after reading this thread I'm not sure i want to.

The UK has so much going for it and i'm going to look at it with new eyes now.

Thanks guys.:wubclub:

Australia's (European) history covers times and events just as interesting as any earlier period - Napoleonic Wars, American Revolution, French Revolution, not to ignore Australia's own history, nor its Aboriginal history.

When I did my degree at UNSW I chose European History which I regret now with so many interesting things happening in my adopted country.

:eek: YOU ARE KIDDING ME.

:eek: YOU ARE KIDDING ME.

If you have no interest in Australia's history then you have no interest in Britain's either because it's so interlinked. But here's a few questions anyway.

Why was Captain Cook sent out on his voyages?

Why did Britiain decide to colonise Australia?

Was Captain Philip the right man to lead the First Fleet?

What effect has Australia's convict past had on modern-day Australia.

Did Britain commit genocide against the Aborigines in Tasmania?

What really happened at Eureka Stockade?

Ned Kelly - hero or villain?

Bligh - hero or villain?

Why did Australia adopt a written and federal constitution - ie unlike Britain?

How did the two World Wars affect Australia's relations with Britain?

If you have no interest in Australia's history then you have no interest in Britain's either because it's so interlinked. But here's a few questions anyway.

Why was Captain Cook sent out on his voyages?

Why did Britiain decide to colonise Australia?

Was Captain Philip the right man to lead the First Fleet?

What effect has Australia's convict past had on modern-day Australia.

Did Britain commit genocide against the Aborigines in Tasmania?

What really happened at Eureka Stockade?

Ned Kelly - hero or villain?

Bligh - hero or villain?

Why did Australia adopt a written and federal constitution - ie unlike Britain?

How did the two World Wars affect Australia's relations with Britain?

Ask me one on footy?:biggrin:

Guest sh7t man no way

thanks for your replys to this thread--i hope it is serving some purpose to the questions/answers you have about what the uk has got that australa lacks--some really good points have been brought up--which may help some members realize there not alone with there thoughts on this issue:wubclub:

Ask me one on footy?:biggrin:

Why does one player in each AFL team (at most) wear a long sleeved jersey?

Why do some AFL players wear those black clips around the upper arm muscle?

Why is Aussie Rules the main sport in Victoria, WA,SA, TAS & NT whilst RL & (RU) dominate in NSW/QLD/ACT?

Where did Aussie Rules come from? (Gaelic football maybe but it's not exactly the same.)

Why does Aussie Rules get such massive support in Victoria.

Why am I loyal to Sydney in every code and sport except RL when I go for the Storm?

Why does one player in each AFL team (at most) wear a long sleeved jersey?

Why do some AFL players wear those black clips around the upper arm muscle?

Why is Aussie Rules the main sport in Victoria, WA,SA, TAS & NT whilst RL & (RU) dominate in NSW/QLD/ACT?

Where did Aussie Rules come from? (Gaelic football maybe but it's not exactly the same.)

Why does Aussie Rules get such massive support in Victoria.

Why am I loyal to Sydney in every code and sport except RL when I go for the Storm?

Absolutely thrilling.....