Temp Spouse visa - relationship possibly ending

Guest SpecialBox

Guest SpecialBox

Hi everyone, I'm 26 years old, have been married to my Australian spouse since February 2010 and we've been together for nearly 5 years.

I have been living in Australia for 4 years with a gap back in England for 1 year in the middle. (2 years here, 1 in UK, then 2 more here so far).

I originally came here to study, then moved back here to marry my partner. I'm here now on a spouse temporary visa, and I think a decision on my permanent visa will be made around February/ March.

Things are not going very well in the relationship. We are arguing a lot, and my husband has developed depression. I'm also showing some symptoms of being depressed. We love each other but we have been talking a lot recently about where things are going and sadly the future is not looking bright for us at the moment. If I'm honest, I am not happy in the relationship and if it weren't for the visa, I probably would have ended it a few months ago.

I am SO settled in Australia, I've been in my full time job for 18 months, I have a great network of friends, and I'm so happy here. I also brought my cat with me from England, and if I had to leave Australia there is no way I could afford to take him back with me, which breaks my heart. So basically, if we break up and I had to go home, I would lose literally everything I have worked so hard to build up over the last 5 years.

The fear is consuming me and I don't know where to turn. I have been saying for a few months now that we just need to stick it out and stay together and see how things go. I'm scared however that when it comes to the decision on my permanent visa, do we have to attend an interview? If the relationship were to end, does anyone know what my options might be? If I tell the department that we have separated, Is there ANY chance that I would not be sent home, if I can prove I have strong ties and I'm settled here?

I have been thinking about seeing a migration help office, but I thought it couldn't help to try and see if there is anyone out there that can tell me where to start with this. Thank you so much for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, your visa is sponsored by your husband and until you become a permanent resident is entirely dependent on your relationship being ongoing. The sad truth is that, if you wish to stay in Australia, but not with your husband you will need to find another visa - or find away to patch the relationship together until after you have receieved PR.