Sign in to follow this  
Guest ian877

Average wages and cost of living in Oz (AME)

Guest ian877

Hello everyone

Deb and I are just about to apply for our state sponsorship with Victoria, then hopefully with the green light from that our visa will be lodged.

For quite a few weeks now we have been researching the cost of living in Victoria, if all goes to plan we are looking at the Geelong or Werribee area. Anyway can anyone point us in the right direction for trying to get accurate figures of average wages in Oz.

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (not licensed) and I found one site that mentions the average wage for my trade and when I took the lowest band they stated (45,000 AUD) then considering the outgoings.

Considrations were:

Lowest estimate for salary was 45.000 AUD = 3750 AUD per month (Gross)

• Income tax & medicare 731 AUD per month
  • Rent 1200 AUD per month
  • Healthinsurance 250 AUD per month
  • Car,tax, insurance and petrol 200 AUD per month
  • Internet 80 AUD per month
  • Grocery 400 AUD per month
  • Utility bills 120 AUD per month
  • Phone and mobile 140 AUD per month
  • Eating out 400 AUD per month
  • Sundries 400 AUD per month

Total= 3921 AUD per month

These are the figures we come up with and obviously the salary does not cover it, this does not include savings either. Can any one tell me if I'm over budgeting too much or these figures are accurate.

If we are overbudgeting can anyone point us in the right direction to get accurate figures to calculate your average wages and outgoings, as we are finding alot of conflicting information. I appreciate that everyones standard of living will be different but I'm just after all considerations for outgoings and accurate average costs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian & Deb

To help get the ball rolling:

We pay $100 per month for Internet and home phone. You can do it cheaper than this as well.

Our Car rego, CTP and fully-comp insurance costs are ~$1600 per car per year (Toyota Corolla - NSW).

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Those figure seem fairly accurate, though could be trimmed in places (e.g. we pay $120 for internet, phone and two mobiles, you could choose to rely on medicare and not have health insurance). The average salary in Australia is around the $65k mark. You'll need some fairly careful budgeting to be surviving on two thirds of that.

Will Deb also be working? Are you really expecting to be on the lowest salary rank? I would have thought that getting a skilled visa generally implies you've got a fair amount of experience and would be at a higher salary grade by now?

How does this salary compare to what you were earning in the UK? Using an exchange rate of 2.2 $ to the pound is a guideline for a salary that would give you a similar level of lifestyle. So $45k australian would give you a similar lifestyle to GBP20k.

Your list looks quite realistic, and I think you will be struggling with that kind of income if that is the only income you two will have for a while. :eek:

-We have 80k plus super.

-We live in St Kilda so pay $375 per week which is considered cheap for Inner City so our rent is higher.

-However, we "only" spend $60 per month on naked broadband.

-We don't spend anything on entertainment (sea and parks are nearby, nice weather most of the time even in so called winter, public libraries around the corner, TV at home) and we don't eat out.

-We don't have a car so I cannot comment on that.

-We pay $450 a month for Medibank.

-We pay around $100 a week for food at ALDI's (we don't buy alcohol or cigarettes, we only buy meat every two weeks).

-We have not received our houshold bills yet so I cannot comment on that.

It seems fairly accurate to me. Werribee and Geelong less expensive than inner city Melbourne but petrol costs/public transport could possibly be higher depending on where you work.

I suspect that you have quoted the lowest you can expect to earn and sounds likely that your actual earnings would be more.

Also, as others have indicated, if you choose to use medicare or even only partial health insurance cover you would still receive good healthcare and save lots of $$$$s.

Good luck with it all!

Partner visa lodged 5/7/10, subclass 309 Partner visa granted on 29/10/10. Permanent Residency visa granted 15/11/12. :cool:

Guest ian877

Hi

Thank you all so much for your advice it makes interesting reading. The problem we have with my current salary is I am in the RAF at the moment and pays above average wage. When I leave the RAF I will be earning much less for my trade as a civilian.

Could anyone tell us if you get child tax credits and/or child benefit as we have not budgeted any of these. Am I right in thinking that Superannuation is deducted from wages and goes towards your future pension?

Thanks all, we will get there....hopefully!!!