working in brisbane cbd, but where to live?

barnabus72

hi all

we are here in oz at the moment and dh has a potential job offer in brisbane cbd.

any ideas in nice suburbs for young families at least 30 minutes commute away, then we can research this weekend?

preferably coastal or close to coast !

thanks!

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Bribie Island is nice, to commute you would either drive to Caboolture (20 min) and go by train to Brisbane (1 hour), or drive to Brisbane (about 1 hour). Bribie has beaches and national parkland.

RedCliff is closer to CBD and is popular with a lot of members.

I am sure others will be along with their suggestions . Good luck with the reccie.

Hi.. We are in Manly, in the Bayside and it's just lovely! 40 mins journey into Brissy ... And loads of play areas here, alongside the waterfront. Weekend craft markets and outdoor pool too. Cleveland is worth a look too and is a little further out at around an hour I think. There are a few little beaches but they are prob best described as sandy coves - very nice ones though at Raby Bay, Cleveland. :biggrin:

Guest sh7t man no way

southside of brisbane is not much of a beach areas,and there heaps of people--northside to me is a better option--redclffe is nice,scarbrough even nicer-there building a new 2 way bridge from the redcliffe penisular which should make the comute to brizzy much better-on a good day it should be 30 minutes--sandgate which has a mainline to brizzy (rail) is only 10 mins drive from redcliffe which is a bonus

We live in the Bayside area - lovely family area with a few little beaches.

The commute into the city is around 40 mins driving and an hour on the train (yes, the train really does take longer!!!!)

Have a look at Wellington Point, Cleveland and Thornalnds and all the suburbs around that area - really from Manly down as far as Redland Bay could be a good option.

Love

Rudi

x

We recently stayed in the Bayside area and no matter what time of day we left we couldn't get to the CBD in less than an hour. It ended up making us change our mind on where we would live as I couldn't face that commute on a daily basis.

We chose to live in the Western burbs and save the coast for the weekends as we ended back at home so late we didn't see the coast anyway.

Yes - from the southern end of the bayside, Redland Bay and Victoria Point, the commute would be a bit longer. Hubby drives from Thornlands each day and it's a 40 minute drive for him, unless there is an accident. His office is just near the Eagle Street pier, so he only has to cross the bridge and then he's straight off the main road and along to his office - he doesn't have to negotiate much inner city traffic.

Love

Rudi

x

We recently stayed in the Bayside area and no matter what time of day we left we couldn't get to the CBD in less than an hour. It ended up making us change our mind on where we would live as I couldn't face that commute on a daily basis.

We chose to live in the Western burbs and save the coast for the weekends as we ended back at home so late we didn't see the coast anyway.

I second this. Agree 100%. We moved close to Holland Park. 15 mins to the city, great busway service, 50 mins to the Gold Coast.

Cheers

B1K3R

Guest whitbread32

Hi all,

Could any body tell me if Alexandra hill is a good area to live ??? we have a 10 year old son who is sports mad. If this area is no good we are open to suggestion.

Alex Hills is a decent area........BUT..............

You have to be a bit picky where abouts in Alex Hills you live. Some parts are really not nice. If you look around the southern end it's lovely - south of Finucane Road. North of Finucane Road it's not so nice.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Whitbread

It really depends on your budget. If you are looking at Alex Hills, then look at all the suburbs that surround it as well. Try Capalaba - again though, much like Alex Hills, there's good and bad there.

Thorneside is lovely - for some reason it doesn't seem to get talked about much when people talk about the Bayside suburbs, but it's well worth looking at. Other places you might want to consider are Birkdale, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland and Thornlands.

Where will you be working? Many people do commute to the city from Victoria Point and Redland Bay, but they are that bit further out than the other Bayside suburbs.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

Guest whitbread32

hi Rudi,

Thanks again for the info.

Nothing lined up as of yet. Coming over in May to source some work and areas which will suit. I am a construction manager so my thinking was that most of the work will be near the city??? but we don't what to live near the city. Ideally half way between would be great so i could travel to work and then the coast is not to far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We're a family of 5 hoping to get from UK to Brisbane early in 2012...subject to court approval (leave to remove from jurisdiction)...long story...but would love to know of any expat groups or meet ups for families or just mums etc in Brisbane area (we are looking at Kenmore and Indooroopilly, and surrounds at the moment so if anyone knows of any local groups that would help us all settle in that would be sooo helpful! My husband is 45, me (a very young...or should that be immature...40yr old!), with 3 kids, 16yr old boy, 12yr old and 6yr old girls.

If anyone could give me some info on other areas that are "good" areas for schools, reasonably priced houses and have things for kids to do I'd love to hear any suggestions :unsure:

My youngest two go to school in Indooroopilly and there are lots of families there that live in Kenmore and Chapel Hill. There is so much for kids to do in this area and we'd be happy to help in any way. I have 5 year old twin girls and a 13 year old girl as well.

That's reassuring to know! We just got back last Friday from doing our recce (first time ever in Oz)...we loved Brisbane and hope we can get back out there by Easter if not earlier (wld have liked a January start for schools but that looks unlikely now). Hubby has a job offer in Fortitude Valley, hes a Loss Adjuster and Building Surveyor. We liked Indooroopilly schools best for the kids, tho Henry (16) will probably go straight to Southbank Tafe if poss as he has just finished school here, and GCSEs! It would be great to have a contact when we get out there, are you happy to stay in touch?! Are your girls at Indooroopilly State school? Awkward cardinals to live in if children in Indooroopilly High and Primary as some distance apart isn't it? We loved St Lucia and Indooroopilly itself but not sure we could afford what we would want! Kenmore is more realistic...

Bye for now from Surrey!

Anna x

I am more than happy to stay in touch. It is so hard trying to sort it all out. My youngest two go to a Catholic school in Indooroopilly and my eldest is at a Catholic school in Toowong. My dear friend's 16 year old goes to Indooroopilly State High and loves it. I like St Lucia but I couldn't live there. Far too many uni students and very busy.

I drove to Fortitude Valley on Thursday and it took me 16 minutes from the twins school in Indooroopilly.

I am more than happy to stay in touch. It is so hard trying to sort it all out. My youngest two go to a Catholic school in Indooroopilly and my eldest is at a Catholic school in Toowong. My dear friend's 16 year old goes to Indooroopilly State High and loves it. I like St Lucia but I couldn't live there. Far too many uni students and very busy.

I drove to Fortitude Valley on Thursday and it took me 16 minutes from the twins school in Indooroopilly.

I think the Indooroopilly side of St Lucia is good.

That's reassuring to know! We just got back last Friday from doing our recce (first time ever in Oz)...we loved Brisbane and hope we can get back out there by Easter if not earlier (wld have liked a January start for schools but that looks unlikely now). Hubby has a job offer in Fortitude Valley, hes a Loss Adjuster and Building Surveyor. We liked Indooroopilly schools best for the kids, tho Henry (16) will probably go straight to Southbank Tafe if poss as he has just finished school here, and GCSEs! It would be great to have a contact when we get out there, are you happy to stay in touch?! Are your girls at Indooroopilly State school? Awkward cardinals to live in if children in Indooroopilly High and Primary as some distance apart isn't it? We loved St Lucia and Indooroopilly itself but not sure we could afford what we would want! Kenmore is more realistic...

Bye for now from Surrey!

Anna x

Just to add to your Kenmore v Indooroopilly decision. Going to Kenmore can add significantly to both driving and public transport time. Moggill Rd sometimes bottlenecks past Indooroopilly out Kenmore way and of course the train crosses over the river after Indooroopilly to Chelmer so Kenmore buses have to navigate those bottlenecks. A smaller house at Indooroopilly might be worth considering if you haven't already. Indooroopilly is an excellent location.

Hi

We're a family of 5 hoping to get from UK to Brisbane early in 2012...subject to court approval (leave to remove from jurisdiction)...long story...but would love to know of any expat groups or meet ups for families or just mums etc in Brisbane area (we are looking at Kenmore and Indooroopilly, and surrounds at the moment so if anyone knows of any local groups that would help us all settle in that would be sooo helpful! My husband is 45, me (a very young...or should that be immature...40yr old!), with 3 kids, 16yr old boy, 12yr old and 6yr old girls.

If anyone could give me some info on other areas that are "good" areas for schools, reasonably priced houses and have things for kids to do I'd love to hear any suggestions :unsure:

Hi. Have you considered Sherwood, Graceville, or Corinda? Great schools, on the train line, not too long into the city, very leafy, nice areas with a great outdoor pool, and lots of other things for kids. Easy access to motorway to the gold coast. Close to Indooroopilly too, so good for shopping. The state schools here are great, but there are some good private anglican schools too.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions!

There's the other side of the river is that right? We wanted to have a look around Graceville and Sherwood when we were there but just ran out of time! Just out of interest, is flooding really an issue now or is it very unlikely (I know the Jan Brisbane floods werent really "natural" and more due to the mistakes of the governing bodies!)...just that I have heard Graceville floods? But then so did Indooroopilly I think...:unsure:

Which of those areas would you say is the best for families? the ages of my kids range from 6yrs to 16!

Thanks again x

We live in the northern suburb of Ferny Grove, lovely established suburb, lots of families and children around. It has 1 private school, 2 state schools (1 of which is a high school), 2 daycare centres, shops, market on a Sunday and CBD is only approx. 20 mins on the train.

We are a family of 5 and rent at the moment but it is certainly a suburb I would think about buying a property in.

Any questions just PM me.

Hi,

There's the other side of the river is that right? We wanted to have a look around Graceville and Sherwood when we were there but just ran out of time! Just out of interest, is flooding really an issue now or is it very unlikely (I know the Jan Brisbane floods werent really "natural" and more due to the mistakes of the governing bodies!)...just that I have heard Graceville floods? But then so did Indooroopilly I think...:unsure:

Which of those areas would you say is the best for families? the ages of my kids range from 6yrs to 16!

Thanks again x

Hi, yes, it is. There were parts of each of those suburbs that flooded and streets that didnt, so if you did your research you could find an area that was ok. My sister lives in Corinda, just beside Sherwood, and in her street, the bottom end flooded but she was fine. If you rent/buy in the high side, I think you'd be fine. Not sure of the chances of it happening again any time soon, but as long as you steered clear of where flooded, sure you'd be ok.

Sherwood is lovely, actually, so is Corinda and Graceville. All great for families, and easy access for the teenagers for buses/train to Indooroopilly for shopping/cinemas/bowling etc, or even for easy access to the city. Lots of clubs locally for younger ones, and the local pool is fab. I have an 8yr old and there's lots here for her to do...too much actually, we run out of time! Close to the highway for driving down to the theme parks at the Gold Coast at the weekend too. I've been told that on Oxley road, the schools along there have been called the Golden Mile as they are all good state schools. There's Sherwood, Graceville, Corinda and Oxley State Primary Schools, and Corinda State High School which all have very good reputations.

Hi,

Thanks again x

I don't agree with whoever has told you that...the floods were natural and the dam mgt have been found to have done a very good job considering.

The last big flood was 1974. A dam was built after that to stop flooding if that amount of water ever fell in the catchment again. Unfortunately far more fell than 1974. This time we had water in our catchment at levels not seen since 1893. From memory I think it was 2.5 times more water than 1974. No way our dam was going to stop that. A big percentage came down another river that the dam does not cover.

It is very unlikely we will see that amount of water for a long time but occasionally these things happen in spurts and then disappear for a long time so who knows if we get another soon.

Only around 3% of Brisbane was affected and most in Brisbane were busy mowing the lawn or shopping on a sunny day as a few streets near the river flooded. Most of the streets that flooded have been mapped for a very long time (since 1974) and are easy to avoid.

Even most of the river suburbs that had flooding had a huge number of streets that didn't (and never) flood.

Archived