Car seats in Australia - What you need to know

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hear Hear ,after nearly two months coping with the Oz system with our 11 week old all I can say is it's retarded . Every thing about the top tether and seat belt anchoring encourages miss fitting and in 40 degrees of heat a bit bloody slow to get in , any one who says it's comparable to rest of the world with isofix probably needs a good slap . Roll on the day the government stops this " not invented hear" attitude the better.

Right rant over time for a cold one .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sadiesmum

Hi There

just a quick question (it may well be answered here but Im rushed for time )

I have a maxi cosi car seat in the UK, as they sell them in Oz can I presume that the one I have would be legal over there?

Hi There

I have a maxi cosi car seat in the UK, as they sell them in Oz can I presume that the one I have would be legal over there?

No you can't. In fact it's best to presume it won't be legal. Car seats here *must* have the top tether, and they *must* meet AS standards. Most seats in the UK fail on both counts, the first because we don't bother with that (people generally use ISOFIX instead), the latter because if it's a UK model, chances are it won't have been submitted for AS testing

Hi There

What pinpot said. Your UK Maxi Cosi won't be legal in Aus. It has to be a car seat tested and approved to Aus standards carrying their Aus standards approved sticker. And all car seats in Aus are installed with a top tether. Also Isofix isn't in use yet so all car seats are still installed with a seatbelt (and top tether). Isofix will be making an appearance sometime next year, as will Isofix car seats.

FWIW, I did explain about this in the first post and also mentioned Maxi Cosi sell Aus approved car seats in Aus. You can find plenty of Aus stockists online. Maxi Cosi only sell a few seats there and like here, they tend to be at the higher end of the car sear price list.

Another thing you need to know ~ Be prepared to spend around $500 for a car seat!! We just had to buy 2 ~ Kerching!!

You paid over the odds I'd say.

Maxi Cosi Complete Air can be found retailing around $280 online. Although it can go up to $360 Safe n Sound (Britax) Maxi Rider AHR from $389 or so. Other models like the AHR Tilt and Adjust come in around $420 online in some places. If you bought those someplace like Mothercare you'd have paid $495 according to their website but I found them online for $420

It really is a case of shopping around.

Maxi Cosi Complete Air can be found retailing around $280 online. Although it can go up to $360 Safe n Sound (Britax) Maxi Rider AHR from $389 or so. Other models like the AHR Tilt and Adjust come in around $420 online in some places. If you bought those someplace like Mothercare you'd have paid $495 according to their website but I found them online for $420

It really is a case of shopping around.

Your right, we did buy from Mothercare....Was going to buy online, but they would have taken 2 weeks shipping at the time & I needed car seats fast! (We bought the AHRs)

But, yes....Others should shop around ;0)

Hi Snifter,you seems to be an expert in car seats ,would you mind recommending some to me?

my son is 3.5 years old and is very tall 112cm and is 18 kg(more like a 5 year old!)

our "baby" is almost 2 and also very big -95cm and 15kg

I want to get seats that will last for few years,i am not mad into brands..just want a good seat that keeps them safe!

Thank you

Katerina

Hi Snifter,you seems to be an expert in car seats ,would you mind recommending some to me?

my son is 3.5 years old and is very tall 112cm and is 18 kg(more like a 5 year old!)

our "baby" is almost 2 and also very big -95cm and 15kg

I want to get seats that will last for few years,i am not mad into brands..just want a good seat that keeps them safe!

Thank you

Katerina

Its a bit tricky as Aus car seats vary somewhat to what you are used to. Basically, at his weight over here (going off that your location is Dublin, Eire), even though he isn't yet 4, he would need to be moving out of the up to 18kg car seats and into the highback booster types. He has reached the weight limit. In Aus, they are changing the car seats to factor in height and have height markers.

I can think of a few off the top of my head, but it will really depend on your budget. I tend to always go for the highest rated in the testing and these usually end up being the more expensive end of the car seat market. Do you have a limit to your budget? I'll find a few possibles to start you off and post back over the weekend.

Its a bit tricky as Aus car seats vary somewhat to what you are used to. Basically, at his weight over here (going off that your location is Dublin, Eire), even though he isn't yet 4, he would need to be moving out of the up to 18kg car seats and into the highback booster types. He has reached the weight limit. In Aus, they are changing the car seats to factor in height and have height markers. I can think of a few off the top of my head, but it will really depend on your budget. I tend to always go for the highest rated in the testing and these usually end up being the more expensive end of the car seat market. Do you have a limit to your budget? I'll find a few possibles to start you off and post back over the weekend.
Thanks Snifter, was thinking 300-400Each?

I would choose best rated ones over price. For booster seats for your 3.5 year old, they are cheaper in price compared with the infant seats. I did some research into one for my son, and shortlisted the InfaSecure VarioMax and SafeNSound Hi-Liner SG. Went to local baby store (http://mybabywarehouse.com.au/) as they had both in stock and tried him out on both. In the end bought the Hi-Liner as it has a slideguard device which hooks onto the lap part of the seatbelt between the crotch and prevents slipping under the belt, although secondary to this was he seemed to fit better in it.

I would choose best rated ones over price. For booster seats for your 3.5 year old, they are cheaper in price compared with the infant seats. I did some research into one for my son, and shortlisted the InfaSecure VarioMax and SafeNSound Hi-Liner SG. Went to local baby store (http://mybabywarehouse.com.au/) as they had both in stock and tried him out on both. In the end bought the Hi-Liner as it has a slideguard device which hooks onto the lap part of the seatbelt between the crotch and prevents slipping under the belt, although secondary to this was he seemed to fit better in it.

Thanks pwkl, I will check out that website!

I've also updated this into the first post

***UPDATE April 4 2012*** ISOFIX NEWS FROM BRITAX (SAFE-N-SOUND) Highlighted red text at end re EU/UK car seats

On March 23rd, the Australian Government adopted a revision to the Australian Design Rule (ADR) covering child restraint anchorages in vehicles. The revision now includes the requirements for ISOFIX lower anchorage fittings in Australian vehicles. This revision to the ADR now allows Standards Australia to amend the Australian Standard for Child Restraints AS/NZS1754 which will then allow the use of Child restraints fitted with lower ISOFIX attachments.

In partnership with Volkswagen, Britax was first to introduce ISOFIX in the European market in 1997. Britax Australia supports ISOFIX and we are waiting for the Australian Standard for Child Restraints to be revised and published. Britax’s Technical Director, Mike Lumley, said “Our current Australian child restraint systems provide high levels of safety equal or better to that of products globally. The main expected benefit from ISOFIX is an improvement in fitment to the vehicle. Parents are likely to find ISOFIX systems easier to use, reducing the potential risk of incorrect installment.”

A revision to the Standard is yet to be published. Britax Australia envisages the draft may be released this year and published in 2013. Britax Australia proposes to have ISOFIX child restraints once the Australian Standard is published and we have completed our designs and have obtained certification which may take a further 12 months. We realise this may be longer than consumers would like but we are unable to start our design process until the Australian Standard is published and the detail requirements are known.

This move towards allowing the use of ISOFIX child restraints does not mean that European Child Restraints will be accepted in Australia. The top tether strap will continue to be a requirement for all child restraints except Booster Seats weighing less than 2kgs. All child restraints need to meet the Australian Standard which has a higher level of testing requirements as well as other important design requirements. It is important to remember that all child restraints that meet the Australian Standard have the 5 tick mark which confirms compliance. Australian drivers who use a European ISOFIX restraint are not obeying the Road Rules and are at risk of receiving a traffic infringement.

Britax Australia

www.britax.com.au

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info Snifter. Very helpful.

So it seems regardless of whether you get a top tether kit for your current baby seat or not, it is still going to be illegal because it doesn't bear the Australian standards sticker or hasn't been tested? We have a German built Concord Ultimax which we bought for its high safety rating, and now we have to get rid of it before we move over, due to Australian bureaucracy, and hidden trade protectionism.

Thanks for all the info Snifter. Very helpful.

So it seems regardless of whether you get a top tether kit for your current baby seat or not, it is still going to be illegal because it doesn't bear the Australian standards sticker or hasn't been tested? We have a German built Concord Ultimax which we bought for its high safety rating, and now we have to get rid of it before we move over, due to Australian bureaucracy, and hidden trade protectionism.

Alas, yes, that pretty much sums it up :( I have similar feelings to you about it and think that the approval of Isofix finally happening will shake things up (at least for the Aus companies). The overseas ones should be pretty quick off the mark for sorting out the Isofix market as they already have car seats in use elsewhere and can comply with the Aus standards I am sure. The Aus companies are the ones who have to start from scratch. They should have been laying the ground work though as resisting/avoiding Isofix use could only last so long.

There are some good seats out there in Aus, but not Isofix. Maxi Cosi sell a couple over there and iirc they rated well. And Britax have a couple. Drop me a PM if you've any specific questions or want to sound me out about something :)

How on earth would anyone know what car seat you have in your car, if I'm bringing a European car over with isofix I'd want to use that, seems crazy not to especially as ours is rear facing to 4 years which is proven to be safer.

I would imagine if you were stopped by the police they could charge you for not having the correct child seat and if you were involved in any accident the insurance company would be unwilling to pay out.........

How on earth would anyone know what car seat you have in your car, if I'm bringing a European car over with isofix I'd want to use that, seems crazy not to especially as ours is rear facing to 4 years which is proven to be safer.

Honestly, this thread isn't really intended to debate the for and against of using a non Aus car seat. If you wish to use a UK seat in Aus, aware they are illegal, that is your choice. This thread has explained and covered the possible legal concerns arising from using a non Aus approved car seat. You are an adult and can make your own decisions, you won't hear me yell at you for them.

Police do do spot checks and you should check car insurance (and medical) validity etc covering the seat, injury and so on if you intend to use an non Aus approved car seat. Be informed as best as possible if you choose to use your UK seat. You can get a hefty fine and a few points on your licence if police are so inclined should they check your car and notice the seats. As to if an insurer (not only your company but if there was another vehicle involved that will mean another insurance company - and possibly medical insurance - will also be involved) will pay up for replacing a car seat or care for long term injury if using a non Aus approved seat when an accident occurs has yet to be really tested, at least I cannot think of a case as yet that has really come up.

FWIW, there is an extended rear facing car seat thread also on the forum :) And many cars sold in Aus have Isofix points in them. Most imported cars these days do. Its only the Aus made ones, Holden and the like that don't have them. Although they are going to have to include them from 2013 when Isofix will finally (hopefully 2013 anyways) make an appearance.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

Thanks for the help. Since your first posting is there any child seats now on sale in the UK that are legal in Oz... I read about `some` Maxi Cosi seats being ok.. not sure if we should invest over here before our departure. Callum will be 19 months when we land. And i`m sure there will be more to `pop out` in due course.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (even possibly by me! Haha) in this thread, but for anyone arriving in 2013 or beyond, ISOFIX will be allowed as part of the Australian Design Rules for vehicles, so it stands to reason that child safety seats using the ISOFIX system will also be considered legal (assuming they're fitted to a car using ISOFIX).

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (even possibly by me! Haha) in this thread, but for anyone arriving in 2013 or beyond, ISOFIX will be allowed as part of the Australian Design Rules for vehicles, so it stands to reason that child safety seats using the ISOFIX system will also be considered legal (assuming they're fitted to a car using ISOFIX).

Don't rely on reason. If the ISOFIX seat isn't labelled to say that it meets the Australian standard for ISOFIX (even if the standard is identical) then it still won't be legal in Australia. It's also possible that the Australian standard will require ISOFIX seats to use a top tether as well (which of course no imported seat will have).