Where to live... advice appreciated!!

Guest shelley32

Guest shelley32

Hi all, im looking at the possibility at being accepted into a Uni in St Leonards, Sydney. Can anyone offer any advice as to where would be nice to live that is good for children ie.teenagers for good, state schools and babies for childcare etc.... also any knowledge on where are nice areas but not too expensive.... I was looking at rental properties with 3/4 bedrooms and they were going for nothing under $850 a week!! Is that correct? soooooo expensive!

Please guys give me some good news!

Thanks xx

Which uni are you going to? Uni of Technology at Royal North Shore Hospital maybe?. You are right on the railway line there so why not, if you can afford it, live nearby - all nice but dear suburbs, some quieter than others. Crows Nest, Cammeray, Naremburn, Willougby, Artarmon, Chatswood, St Leonards itself, North Sydney, Neutral Bay. Plenty of shopping at Chatswood, schools everywhere, plenty of life at Crows Nest, Neutral Bay, North Sydney. forgot to mention Waverton and Wollestonecraft, Lane Cove, maybe further up the North Shore rail line any of those suburbs. Look on www.domain.com.au.

I lived at both Cammeray and Neutral Bay. You are fairly close to the CBD too.

Guest shelley32
Which uni are you going to? Uni of Technology at Royal North Shore Hospital maybe?. You are right on the railway line there so why not, if you can afford it, live nearby - all nice but dear suburbs, some quieter than others. Crows Nest, Cammeray, Naremburn, Willougby, Artarmon, Chatswood, St Leonards itself, North Sydney, Neutral Bay. Plenty of shopping at Chatswood, schools everywhere, plenty of life at Crows Nest, Neutral Bay, North Sydney. forgot to mention Waverton and Wollestonecraft, Lane Cove, maybe further up the North Shore rail line any of those suburbs. Look on www.domain.com.au.

I lived at both Cammeray and Neutral Bay. You are fairly close to the CBD too.

Hi, thanks very much for replying. Its actually not called a uni but offers undergrad degrees etc. Ill be doing an advanced diploma in Naturopathy for three/four years and then onto charles stuart university to finish up with a BA science of complimentary health. (was thinking of doing metaphysics but its not really recognised as an proper qualification) Im hoping once I have finished my studies it will open an easier pathway for me to get a permanent visa, what do you think?

when you say "if you can afford it, live nearby" what do you mean by afford it? lol what are we talking price wise here?

Thanks so much, ill check out the places you have mentioned :smile: x

I was looking at rental properties with 3/4 bedrooms and they were going for nothing under $850 a week!! Is that correct? soooooo expensive!

Please guys give me some good news!

Thanks xx

Thats it, its the start of the expensive end of town.

What was your price range?

Search using the website I mentioned before www.domain.com.au to look for rental homes in your price range.

Factor in things like being close to a railway station which will make your commute easier.

Google places like City Rail and City Bus to look at timetables for journies to and from work.

Google the suburbs too to look at the map and for facilities.

It all depends how much you are willing to pay.

I was thinking that Hornsby might be OK for you if you wanted to stay on the North Shore, not been up there for a while but it's got a big shopping centre, railway station, probably about 30 mins down to St Leonards.

Trains from the North Shore to the City carry on out west (I think? - seem to recall that some city workers living in the Western Subs would sometimes get a train across the bridge to Milson's Pt to get the train there so they 'd have a better chance of a seat??) The point of that little waffle is that you could look for a place west of Sydney close to a railway station and just have one train ride, no changes) to St Leonards.

Bottom line is 'Google' everything - I do, and I'm sure everyone else does. If I want to travel to a suburb I don't know from Surry Hills I Google it and check the various travel options.

Guest shelley32
Thats it, its the start of the expensive end of town.

What was your price range?

well i knew it would be expensive but wow! im currently renting a 4 bed in a desired location in the UK for £850 a month not a week!! I was thinking tops $500 a week but I see now thats totally unrealistic if I want to be in a nice enough place for my children ...... problem is, as a student I will be self supporting (no support from family or a working partner like other people, especially teens coming over to study) Im truly stunned and totally gutted :sad: im not sure what to do now as I am really not sure how I can afford to pay upwards of $850 a week, but im not willing to live in a rough area....not for me so much, but for me children....

thanks so much, still further advice if any is so appreciated coz im lost!

xx

Guest shelley32
Search using the website I mentioned before www.domain.com.au to look for rental homes in your price range.

Factor in things like being close to a railway station which will make your commute easier.

Google places like City Rail and City Bus to look at timetables for journies to and from work.

Google the suburbs too to look at the map and for facilities.

It all depends how much you are willing to pay.

I was thinking that Hornsby might be OK for you if you wanted to stay on the North Shore, not been up there for a while but it's got a big shopping centre, railway station, probably about 30 mins down to St Leonards.

Trains from the North Shore to the City carry on out west (I think? - seem to recall that some city workers living in the Western Subs would sometimes get a train across the bridge to Milson's Pt to get the train there so they 'd have a better chance of a seat??) The point of that little waffle is that you could look for a place west of Sydney close to a railway station and just have one train ride, no changes) to St Leonards.

Bottom line is 'Google' everything - I do, and I'm sure everyone else does. If I want to travel to a suburb I don't know from Surry Hills I Google it and check the various travel options.

I will do, and thanks so much for your help, as ive said below im feeling really deflated now as im just not sure ho w I can do it.....

x

Have you checked what the international fees are for the course you're looking at?

With a limit of 20hours of work a week on a student visa, you're going to struggle to be supporting yourself and kids in Sydney.

Naturopaths are on the ENSOL at the moment, so provided they're still listed when you graduate, you would be eligible to be sponsored by an employer for a PR visa (provided you can find a employer willing to do this. You may need to be on a 457 visa first to build up the pre-requisite experience for the PR visa)

Guest shelley32
Have you checked what the international fees are for the course you're looking at?

With a limit of 20hours of work a week on a student visa, you're going to struggle to be supporting yourself and kids in Sydney.

Naturopaths are on the ENSOL at the moment, so provided they're still listed when you graduate, you would be eligible to be sponsored by an employer for a PR visa (provided you can find a employer willing to do this. You may need to be on a 457 visa first to build up the pre-requisite experience for the PR visa)

is that looking for an employer to sponsor me whilst training? or after graduation? because if its after graduation that was my plan in order to be able to stay. I will be a qualified life coach when I apply for a student visa but as I have still have about 5 months of the course left I wont have had the years work experience to apply for skilled visa, plus 'life coach' isnt really recognised and is only classed under 'counsellors nec'

I am so desperate to be able to move over permanently as my brother is already over with his children. He cant sponsor me though unfortunately so im trying to find the best way to do it and at the same time offering something useful to Australia and its citizens whilst giving my family a good life. This is so very difficult......

Thanks so much x

As you've discovered, rents are very high and on the North Shore especially so - everywhere around St Leonards is very pricey. You will get better value in the Upper North Shore - head northwards, or westwards into Ryde and beyond

Don't want to piss on your chips, but depending on visa type you might be paying school fees for your kids as well - temporary residents in NSW have to cough up about $4500 a yer per child for attendance at public school

I think you will struggle to find anything for $500 a week