You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

crispysince70

Which items have suprised you most with how expensive they are?

For me, I found the price of bannanas to be astronomical, at the last count they were $11.99 a kilo. I realise this is due to a poor harvest, but it's still a shocker.

We also went to Harvey Normans and had a little look around and saw that the equivalent of our fridge freezer that we paid £600 for was over $2000 here :chatterbox:

On a brighter note, Shiploads do some right bargains :biggrin:

Chris xx

Tassie Rules OK

Fridges might be more expensive but I wouldn't put to much weight on Harvey Norman prices. I paid a rare visit to them recently as they were the only ones close by that had the wireless headphones I wanted in stock that day.

They wanted $450 for the headphones. I said $275 delivered on eBay and every other bricks and mortar is selling for $330. OK, she said, and simply gave them to me for that after looking up another shops website. :eek: I hate to think of all the immigrants who walk in there and pay HN full price.

Your 600 quid fridge should be around $1300 over here if looking at the salary equivalent price.

If you call a category 5 cyclone a poor harvest :big laugh: ... btw...banana's are meant to be coming back down to normal over the next few months around $2/Kg or so....can't wait...even though we only pay $7 at the market still too much.

-Furniture (as high as expected). One and the same item at IKEA costs twice as much as in Germany or the UK. Our sofa-bed literally was double the price (stupidly enough I checked the German IKEA price).

-Food (even higher than we expected).

-Cosmetics/stuff you would buy at Boots or Superdrug in the UK (shower gel, tooth paste etc).

-Airfares to Europe are twice the price! Won't be able to fly home for a while...

Guest siamsusie

Yes Chris they are expensive, Potassium pills are much cheaper:biggrin:

Internet for me is a shocker, my kids laugh when my 12gig slows dooooooooooowwwwwwzzzzzzzzzn

and they see my face in frustration

Books of course, but I am great fan of Book Depository

Leather shoes and handbags, but I guess we are spoilt living near italy

I do try and buy all my groceries/meat and fish from Australia even though it might cost a few cents more

Cars are more expensive of course but I know they last for a very long period.

I have just googled "Shiploads" thats looks interesting, we havent got one of those up norf:cute:

Guest guest37336
For me, I found the price of bannanas to be astronomical, at the last count they were $11.99 a kilo. I realise this is due to a poor harvest, but it's still a shocker.

We also went to Harvey Normans and had a little look around and saw that the equivalent of our fridge freezer that we paid £600 for was over $2000 here :chatterbox:

Chris xx

Hi Chris.

Coffee tables with burn marks on them, and those silly bloody tall pots that some landlords put in their rental properties.:wink::cool::wubclub: now they are expensive.:shocked:

Fridges might be more expensive but I wouldn't put to much weight on Harvey Norman prices. I paid a rare visit to them recently as they were the only ones close by that had the wireless headphones I wanted in stock that day.

They wanted $450 for the headphones. I said $275 delivered on eBay and every other bricks and mortar is selling for $330. OK, she said, and simply gave them to me for that after looking up another shops website. :eek: I hate to think of all the immigrants who walk in there and pay HN full price.

Your 600 quid fridge should be around $1300 over here if looking at the salary equivalent price.

BTW, banana's are meant to be coming back down to normal over the next few months around $2/Kg....can't wait.

That's good to know about Harvey Normans, I can't stand getting robbed.

And as far as the bannanas goes, $2 a kilo sounds fantastic.

I think I'll have to keep my bannana cravings at bay till then.

Chris xx

Tassie Rules OK

-Furniture (as high as expected). One and the same item at IKEA costs twice as much as in Germany or the UK. Our sofa-bed literally was double the price (stupidly enough I checked the German IKEA price).

-Food (even higher than we expected).

-Cosmetics/stuff you would buy at Boots or Superdrug in the UK (shower gel, tooth paste etc).

-Airfares to Europe are twice the price! Won't be able to fly home for a while...

Surprised Ikea is twice as high as UK...are you just basing this on the UK/Aus exchange rate rather than the cost of living difference?

That's good to know about Harvey Normans, I can't stand getting robbed.

And as far as the bannanas goes, $2 a kilo sounds fantastic.

I think I'll have to keep my bannana cravings at bay till then.

Chris xx

All the bananas got blown away in the cat 5 cyclone....sometimes they all madly grow them again and over supply happens for a while....finger crossed :biggrin:

The comments about Harvey Norman apply to most of the big appliance shops--they're all willing to negotiate. I don't think we've ever paid the marked price for anything. Even if you can't find another cheaper shop, just asking for their "best price" usually gets a decent discount.

I'm not an IKEA fan so can't comment--but didn't somebody post just a few days ago about finding a bed for half the UK price? Must be something seriously wrong with their pricing structure.

Now, one type of thing that IS seriously expensive down here (and that I bet nobody else has noticed): professional audio gear. I recently bought a microphone that would cost under £200 in the UK and it was over $500 here--at the cheapest place I could find. Even Rode mics--which are blooming well MADE in Australia--are cheaper in the UK.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Hi Everyone not in oz yet just started the process and the costs scare me!

Now you are there earning aussie dollars do you still feel the expense of things or is it just due to comparing to what you had in the UK. Ill torture myself comparing but i hope that as im earning more it wont feel expensive.

Vicky :)

Guest siamsusie

For me Vicky earning $s no

If I was having to use pounds yes very much so.

Susie x

Thanks Susie I feel better now. I keep imagining we move there and cant afford to live. I tried to work out % of salary that go on each bill which looked bad but then i guess the house i was looking to rent here was over twice the size and theres aircon etc I just wish i knew what we need to earn to have a good life style we still want to travel and save for a mortgage i guess we'll find out when we get there

:)

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie I feel better now. I keep imagining we move there and cant afford to live. I tried to work out % of salary that go on each bill which looked bad but then i guess the house i was looking to rent here was over twice the size and theres aircon etc I just wish i knew what we need to earn to have a good life style we still want to travel and save for a mortgage i guess we'll find out when we get there

:)

There are some wonderful mathematicians on PIO who will guide you. Your main problems lie when you are not earning $s and hitting the savings, so do your research well state by state, looking to which state offers the best employment prospects, accomodation etc. and I will reiterate that research is the key word.

Each state offers something different. The house which is twice the size still requires $ even if you are renting with air conditioning or heating, pools etc.

Think small and work your way up slowly.

Susie x

Chris xx

They cost nowt, here. Got a few kg to give away next month, about 40 kgs.:yes:

And mangoes from December:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Bazinga

When we were then in May-July, bananas were $13.99 kilo. My poor banana addicted children did not see a banana until we were on the plane home and demolished two each over the course of the flight!

Im so glad i hate bananas lol, I really like the idea of going to a market and picking my fruit instead of tescos, wish we had a market nearer us!

Guest Bazinga

I am so lucky that where I live it's a Turkish area and every little supermarket has fruit/veg/meat/olives/bread etc. I am really going to miss that! We have 'watermelon wars' around here about 39p a kilo! Amaing

I love nana's! Guess I'll have to have them as a luxury! What are red grapes and pink lady apples like over there?

If you call a category 5 cyclone a poor harvest :big laugh: ... btw...banana's are meant to be coming back down to normal over the next few months around $2/Kg or so....can't wait...even though we only pay $7 at the market still too much.

Thanks for the warning about Harvey Norman. That is where I have been looking in order to guage prices. Some prices did seem quite high (furniture).

I hope to use farmers markets as much as possible. Of course I want to pay less, but I also want to support the farmers directly. I hate the way the producers of our food in the UK get paid pennies by supermarkets, yet the supermarkets take the lions share for putting something on a shelf.

That's the problem with the worlds economies. There's too much profit going to those who produce nothing of value.

How expensive are toiletries? As I'll have to replace these very regularly (I'm not fussy I'll have own brand stuff if I need to)

Mmm red grapes are good too, i want to try one of those custard fruits!! lol

Custard apples and soursops...YUMMY!!! Have a couple in the garden, soursop not yet producing.

Britchickx...Pink lady apples were originally developed in Western Australia:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.