register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Hatton

2 Brits Get 4 Years for Pushing Riots on Facebook

Guest Hatton

Seems a bit harsh but when you think people lost their lives in last weeks riots i suppose it is sending a tough message.

It will only be a tough message if the rest of the sentences for the rioting/arson aren't see to be too soft.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

exactly, the rioters will need to get longer sentences than that. Im actually very suprised, i thought the people who did that on facebook would just get a warning or something like that, not a prison sentence

Getting 4 years and 'doing' 4 years are 2 totally different things too, no doubt they will serve a few months then get out and return to their normal lives.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

"Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result."

4 years jail - wow.

Guest Hatton
"Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result."

4 years jail - wow.

They he will only serve about 6 months in the end, but I think they are sending a message that organizing riots is not acceptable.

Guest Bazinga

Can you return to your normal life after 6 months in jail? Really? I think it is a stupid sentence esp when there are people with previous convictions found with stolen goods getting suspended sentences and fines.

If I got 4yrs for inciting a riot when actually I hadn't, I can tell you now when I came out of prison I'd be angry enough to actually start one. Yes, they all need punishing but proportionately. Not 6months for 'intent to steal'. Ie standing outside a shop when everyone else was inside shopping.

Guest Bazinga

And yes people lost their lives but these 2 idiots didn't directly cause that or any rioting.

Guest Hatton
Can you return to your normal life after 6 months in jail? Really? I think it is a stupid sentence esp when there are people with previous convictions found with stolen goods getting suspended sentences and fines.

If I got 4yrs for inciting a riot when actually I hadn't, I can tell you now when I came out of prison I'd be angry enough to actually start one. Yes, they all need punishing but proportionately. Not 6months for 'intent to steal'. Ie standing outside a shop when everyone else was inside shopping.

Them you would go to prison for longer and no one expect your family would care, he will get 6t months they say...what he was doing was organizing a riot which could have cost lives, it is a message to people who try and organize crime that the authorities will not stand for it.

They he will only serve about 6 months in the end, but I think they are sending a message that organizing riots is not acceptable.

why 6 months? parole/good behaviour usually would reduce a 4 year sentence to 2 years or so...is 6 months correct for the uk?

Them you would go to prison for longer and no one expect your family would care, he will get 6t months they say...what he was doing was organizing a riot which could have cost lives, it is a message to people who try and organize crime that the authorities will not stand for it.

as long as they impose that message on someone who really was organising a riot rather than a hammered 20 yo who thought he was being funny at 2am in the morning on Facebook but deleted the next morning when he woke up and apologised....i don't know the full facts but 4 year prison term for this seems unlikely to stand in an appeals court...might be a bit of a waste of taxpayers money...

Guest Bazinga

All this sending a message stuff............What message is it actually sending? That at the moment the sentences have been a joke? That the govt are STILL going to cut the police force when they did the best they could with what they had? Is anything they are doing right now going to stop it happening again? Really? I don't think so. I think they are making it more likely.

Guest Hatton
as long as they impose that message on someone who really was organising a riot rather than a hammered 20 yo who thought he was being funny at 2am in the morning on Facebook but deleted the next morning when he woke up and apologised....i don't know the full facts but 4 year prison term for this seems unlikely to stand in an appeals court...might be a bit of a waste of taxpayers money...

Of course he will apologize to try and get off, and of course he will say he was drunk when he did it hhhmmmm

Guest Hatton
All this sending a message stuff............What message is it actually sending? That at the moment the sentences have been a joke? That the govt are STILL going to cut the police force when they did the best they could with what they had? Is anything they are doing right now going to stop it happening again? Really? I don't think so. I think they are making it more likely.

Well let's just say I do not think anyone will be organizing riots on facebook in the future, and it is about time that people will be told it is just not acceptable to burn down buildings putting families lives at risk looting and putting people in fear of their lives, we have been far to soft in the past with criminals going before the courts dozens of times without a jail sentence and just a slap on the wrist, the message has to go out that the British public are fed up to the back teeth of anti-social criminal behavior and it has to stop...now!

Of course he will apologize to try and get off, and of course he will say he was drunk when he did it hhhmmmm

I agree many lie to get off after the fact....but didn't this guy apologise to his Facebook friends and delete the site after he woke up in the morning...not after he was arrested...bit hard to work out the facts from over here?

Guest Hatton
I agree many lie to get off after the fact....but didn't this guy apologise to his Facebook friends and delete the site after he woke up in the morning...not after he was arrested...bit hard to work out the facts from over here?

He was obviously warned by his friends to take it off or he was in the ****, but it does send a clear message to those trying to organize riots on face book that they are being watched, I agree that sentance is harsh and people over here are saying they will be surprised if he spends any time in the nick after he appeals, he should do some community service IMO.

Guest peacock

The establishment was undermined by the riots, social media helped with incitement, they had to be seen to be acting swiftly and forceble to stop further episodes

I think it does send a message - but a harsh one! Someone from Southampton was arrested for trying to incite rioting via Facebook, don't think he got a prison sentence though?

Guest Bazinga

I think maybe it all needs separating out. Some people 'just' looted. Some rioted & looted. Some rioted, looted, robbed & committed arson. They can't all be given the same level of punishment.

They are setting a tough precedent here. 4 years for inciting a riot which didn't happen. So can the people who really comitted crimes, stealing, arson, rape, violent behaviour, be expecting?

I would reckon any of those crimes should be more than the 4 years then. The jails are going to be overflowing.

Guest Bazinga

Paul - I totally agree with you.

I think 4 years does seem harsh however no - one knows the full circumstances unless you were in the courtroom, the media do not report everything that is said there, maybe he has a poor history, perhaps the police resources put into place in an attempt to stop the potential riots were large. Why should they get less just because he was no good at organising a riot, his intention was just the same - to incite a riot and therefore in my opinion quite responsible for his actions.

Each court has to sentence on each cases merits, what is happening in other courts is irrelevant - unless it is case law .

you will never please all the people all the time - only some of the people some of the time.

I'm not facing 4 yrs in prison becasue i didn't try to incite a riot or didn't rob or loot or start fires. i have no sympathy for them.

made the move, living the dream, happy families and happy days ....

2 Brits Get 4 Years for Pushing Riots on Facebook

And rightly so IMHO.

Intent was there, thats what got them the jail time. They are both old enough to understand the error of what they have done. Maybe a spell inside will make them realise (even if they say it was only in jest) that this level of incitement will NOT be tolerated.

Iv no doubt that many out there will think that their sentencing is harsh (is it really, think of what it could have potentially lead too), but if the courts dont stand up and show that they will not be a push over, how will people ever respect the judicial system.

Yes the judicial system is far from perfect (corrupt from the the core IMHO), but at least there are 1 or 2 judges out there who are wuilling to use their powers to the max.

Each case should (isnt always) be judged on its own circumstances. Too many judges see one of their collegues sentencing for something so follow suit (special handshake club i think), instead of delivering their OWN sentence.

As the saying goes "if you do the crime, expect to do the time".

Job offer 26/05/11/Visa lodged 14/06/11/Further info req 1/07/11/Info sent 14/7/11/Visa approved 01/08/11

Guest Guest 47403

4 years is probably about right, they will only serve half the sentence any way so 2 years with a bit off that for good behaviour so more likely to be 18-20 months.