Long-term dog boarding/sitting in the UK

oidara

Hi folks,

My husband and I are thinking of going out to Australia for 6 months next year to look around and decide whether to emigrate or not.

We have a 5-year-old Labrador cross and we're trying to figure out what to do with her while we're away. We have no family who can take care of her and we don't like the thought of putting her in kennels for that long. We also don't have a home in the UK (we live in Slovenia) so in-home pet-sitting isn't an option.

Does anybody know of a place she could stay where she could be part of a family? It doesn't matter whereabouts in the UK, we can take her anywhere.

Many thanks!

I've been wracking my brain for possible ways to find a temp home for your dog. Its rather difficult as most people want to keep a dog if they look after it that long. It gets attached to the new home, the people and imprints on them.

I suppose you could ask a few rehoming rescues if they have a foster carer who would take them on for a few months if you provide money for food, vets bills and any other costs incurred plus a bit to them? But if that were to happen then a rescue dog in need might be deprived of a foster home and end up PTS or in kennels.

I think if you looked at making it for a couple of months you could more realistically find someone happy to care for your dog, but 6 months is IMO asking a bit too much of a persons generosity. Also whoever looks after the dog, get a legal document drawn up stating the dog remains your dog and not theirs. The microchip in your name, vet bills etc all paid by you. Some people do try to keep dogs they take in or pass them on to others when they have no right.

We looked after a friends dog for the summer once. A Doby of 6 months old as the friend went away on tour. When he came back he saw how happy Gino was, how settled and how much he was loved and felt bad about having him back and said did we want to keep him. We said yes please and Gino remained with us as our dog till the day he died a decade later.

So, short version, look to making your trip shorter, a couple of months, do your homework before you go of areas that appeal so you don't waste time elsewhere and focus on finding someone to have the dog for 6 weeks or so and the rest in kennels if need be.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that 6 months is a big ask. The problem is that we can't afford to make this trip twice so we need to be out there long enough to be sure of what we're doing. We are expecting opposition from my husband's family and don't want to umm and aah over our decision. We've been living in Europe for 7 years and have spent the last 4 constantly debating where we should be, so we feel the need for decisive action!

What you said about how people caring for a dog for that long might end up wanting to keep it wouldn't necessarily be a problem. I'm already unsure about whether it would be wise to take her with us if we did emigrate as I don't know how she'd tolerate the journey and quarrantine. If the kindest thing would be to leave her behind, then we would do it. And if the kindest thing would be to rehome her now before we even made our decision, then I guess we would consider that too. Tough as we may come back from our trip having decided not to emigrate and having given up our dog for nothing, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

If we were looking to rehome at the end of the 6 months, would you know anywhere useful?

There are plenty of dog rescues around, depending on the area. Just ensure you don't hand in to a council dog pound as dogs are PTS if not rehomed within 7 days or not lucky enough to have a rescue step in to take them on.

I foster in the south west of England and you can find any number of rescue organisations to help. Dorset Dog rescue is one that springs to mind. Many Tears is another. You would sign the dog over to them, they would assess it and find a foster home. Then it would be a case of any potential adopters coming to meet the dog and a homecheck being done. Provided that all went well and the foster carer was happy it was a good match then the dog could be rehomed.

If you wanted to go for a private rehoming you could ask the rescue if you could vet any potential new homes and meet the people. The homecheck would still be done by the rescue but I suppose you could do one yourself also. The paperwork for the adoption would be via the rescue so the dog will always be taken back if things don't work out for whatever reason.

Places like the RSPCA centres are often busy and there is a wait list for hand ins. I'd seriously look into smaller local rescues in more rural or less built up areas rather than those in cities and large towns. And always always check they have a no PTS policy.

Other rescues include

Blue Cross - http://www.bluecross.org.uk/

Margaret Green animal sanctuary - http://www.animalsanctuaryuk.com/

St Giles kennels, http://www.stgileskennels.co.uk/ these all do homechecks etc and are all good afaik.

Does all that make sense?

Hi £25 a night plus around £10 extra for 2nd dog does seem the normal for a private dog boarder sometimes more depending on location, Its all to do with licensing fee's, insurance etc, as they have to pay a license every year to the council, Larger boarding kennels do seem to be cheaper,

If you choose to board with a family feel where the dogs are part of a home life, you do run the risk of them feeling too happy and content in their new home for such a lengthly time! However if you choose a boarding kennel, they are pretty much left most of the day to themselves, Still interacted with, taken for a play, groomed etc, basically whatever you ask, We used one kennel for a few weeks on our return to the uk, Both dogs were well cared for, bathed and played with, and returned to us perfectly happy! Surrounded by ducks and pigs lol, i would use them again if i had to for holidays etc

This is who we used!

http://www.eyersdown.com/index.html

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Do you know what happens if a foster carer can't find suitable new owners? Do they hand onto the dog themselves?

The rescues I foster for will keep the dog till a new owner is found. Sometimes the foster carer may have to change if the foster carer is unable to continue to foster for some reason (and sometimes the foster carers adopt a dog they are looking after). The dog remains in the care of the dog rescue ultimately. The foster carer is only that, they get a say in the potential adoptees of course.

A decently trained neutered lab or lab x doesn't take too long to rehome in my experience. Unless they are crossed with a Staffy, collie or other energetic breed and that can be harder. Or if they have issues like separation anxiety or some such, that can make it more tricky to find a suitable home as not everyone can stay home most of the time. People often need to be able to head out for a few hours at a time at least and be able to leave their dog. Letting the rescue know exactly what is what with a dog when its handed in helps them immensely as they can place it in the right foster home and work out what sort of home the dog will be best suited for.

Thanks for your replies, both of you! It's a tricky one. I want what's best for the dog and sometimes I think that would be giving her up now, before our recce tour. She'll have to suffer 6 months apart from us and then the whole flight/quarrantine thing and upheaval of moving to a new country.

But the risk is that we decide after the recce that we won't move to Oz after all, and then we've given up our dog for nothing! This emigrating idea seems to be one dilemma after another at the moment.

• 2 years later...

Hi there. Are you still looking for a 6 mth carer for your dog? I'm currently based in Edinburgh for the next 6 mths and have the ability to care for a dog for 6 mths (for expenses only). I love dogs :-) get in touch if you are still looking. I am a previous dog owner. Anita

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Anita - sorry, I didn't get notified when you replied to the thread. Thanks for the offer, even though it's no longer an issue as it was a few years ago! ;-)

Laura - we ended up taking our dog with us and moving to Australia sans recce. However, we decided to return to the UK 12 months later and we sent our dog back a few months ahead of us. She stayed here: http://aidenslabradors.co.uk/ with a fantastic man called Frederick and became a real part of the family. She loves him to bits! The only thing is that he is very popular and gets booked up far in advance, especially during holiday times, but he could be worth a go. Good luck!

• 3 years later...
On 20/06/2014 at 13:35, Anita Prabhu said:

Hi there. Are you still looking for a 6 mth carer for your dog? I'm currently based in Edinburgh for the next 6 mths and have the ability to care for a dog for 6 mths (for expenses only). I love dogs :-) get in touch if you are still looking. I am a previous dog owner. Anita

Hi Anita,

I know this is pretty late as you posted this in 2014 and now it's 2018 but I am looking for someone to look after my dogs for a 6 month period. Me and my partner are moving to Canada and have no one to leave the dogs with for the period of time we will be saving (at the moment we live with my mother in law who's tenancy does not allow pets). We can send food, take care of vet bills and absolutely everything including paying you for this time. Please when you can get back to me!!