french bulldog to perth

bensdad

just got a quote from jcslivestock for shipping my french bulldog to perth,

london to vancouver, then to sydney quarantine.

£2,414

if they complete paperwork an extra

£450

flight to perth from sydney

£450

plus costs for jabs etc and quarantine as well

circa £3,600.00 total deep inhale of breath!

serious decision to be made i think.:no:

Guest siamsusie
just got a quote from jcslivestock for shipping my french bulldog to perth,

london to vancouver, then to sydney quarantine.

£2,414

if they complete paperwork an extra

£450

flight to perth from sydney

£450

plus costs for jabs etc and quarantine as well

circa £3,600.00 total deep inhale of breath!

serious decision to be made i think.:no:

Kate (Moving2Melbourne) has so much experience in these matters, I would seriously drop her a PM if she doesnt pick up this post.

Susie x

Yes, most have stopped flying brachycephalic dogs due to the increased risks of them overheating and dying during transit. It does happen sometimes. I know of one case recently of a Frenchie died on the tarmac before even being loaded on the plane. Dropped off at the airport, all was well, within 3 hours he was dead. This was in Australia to fly to Germany. With Malaysian Airlines iirc, (don't quote me on it though) but I think they are now stopping flying breeds like this or have done so already.

Plenty of people pay a lot more to ship one dog to Aus, although those dogs are generally a lot bigger and go direct. And some pay to ship multiple so have more costs. But I realise that not everyone can afford to pay the costs and so rehoming is the better option.

If you do decide to rehome can I suggest you contact the breed rescue as they will ensure the dog is carefully rehomed or will help you find a new home (they will inform people on their wait list, homecheck, you can meet them, they can meet your dog etc and you get final say as to the new home). This also will give you peace of mind as if for any reason the new owner cannot continue to keep the dog for whatever reason it is handed back to the rescue (its usually in the contract of adoption, if not stipulate it) and they will find it another carefully vetted home again. I personally always would recommend this route rather than private rehoming (unless its with someone you know and trust totally) or advertising the dog for sale. It just ensures you cover the bases for the dog rather than risk it being passed around to people that might not be suitable.

Yeah I volunteer for a couple of dog rescues and we see this sort of thing happen all the time with private rehomes, being passed on, and before you know it the dog has had 6 owners and a pile of problems. People usually have the best intention but often it doesn't work out and the dog is the one who suffers.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I found info on the breed rescue

French Bulldog

French Bulldog Welfare Trust

Mrs H B C Watkins - Chairman, Farnham, Surrey. Tel: 01420 23437

Mrs J Keates - Sec & Treasurer, Scarborough, N Yorks. Tel: 01723 863875

Mrs S Hawkins, Southampton, Hants. Tel: 01489 582936

Rev J Thomas, Ammanford, Carmarthenshire. Tel: 01269 850726

Mr M Gordon, Boston, Lincs. Tel: 01205 362647

Mrs C Burton, Nottinghamshire. Tel: 0115 938 3317, Email: carol.burton3@ntlworld.com

Dr C Towner, Northants. Tel: 01280 700964

They are also listed on the Frenchie club website and have a bit of info. I am sure they would be more than happy to help if you need them to.

http://www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk/welfaretrust.htm

ETA - They have their own website also

http://www.frenchbulldogwelfare.moonfruit.com/

That is around the price i fully expect to pay for my dog (but he's around 38kgs) The cost wont come into it.. he's coming end of. HOWEVER I think you should do a good bit of research & find out some facts and stats about brachy's before making your decision, if most airlines are refusing to fly them i'd be more worried about his health & safety rather than costs.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi bensdad, ok you have two routes available to you for brach dogs, one is UK to Sydney, the other is via New Zealand. Unfortunately shipping any dog is going to be expensive, however drop Bob an email:Bob@petairuk.com he will be able to help you and give you any advice you need, he is also a vet so has plenty of experience in the brach breeds.

Kate

Pet Air UK were fantastic when I was shopping around for quotes; he was helpful, told me WHY another quote was cheaper and made sure I had the correct measurements. The cost was less than I thought too, £2,200 thereabouts to ship three Mini Schnauzers over, now we'll only have two so will be cheaper hopefully.

We groom a lot of brach dogs (I LOVE Frenchies by the way, if they were higher maintenance grooming wise I'd have one immediately!) and I must say that we're always much more careful than with any other dog, those folds of skin must be dried, they can't go a full groom without getting down for a break and a drink, and we have to make sure there's a cooling off spot for them too.

Hi Bensdad,

Snifter has given you some great advice.

I just wanted to let you know that I am friends with the Treasurer of The French Bulldog Club of England. They have a Facebook site if you want to join them. Maybe you can get some advise there.

I spoke to my friend as I have a Boxer and a Boston Terrier and are facing the same problem as you with regards to shipping them to Australia. Leaving them behind is not an option for me but fully understand the reasons why people do.

My friend had an member and breeder of the Frenchie club that successfully relocated both her frenchies to Australia. They all came through the experience unscathed. (Owner too ha ha)

Sadly others have not been so lucky, I did read a statistic somewhere that in 2010 149 dogs died being shipped worldwide (including across state in USA) 89 of the 149 were Brachycephalic.

I don't know how many dogs with long noses and snub noses have died during transit to Australia I could only find a number for worldwide.

So as much of it is a huge risk to ship any dog. Many have made the journey and survived. Snub nose breeds included.

My OH and I have even looked into driving with them to Australia in a big converted bus then boarding a boat in Dakar and sailing from there to Australia. I'm not sure how feasible it would be or even possible but as I said earlier for me going to Australia without my boys is not an option I can live with.

Good luck with everything

Mandy

Hi , thanks it not so much the money its the worry for his health, we love our little man to bits but the thought of him dying in transit is unbearable. He doesn't like being left alone for long as it is, so much so we bought him a poodle as a companion, so hopefully shipping them both together may be an option, however the quote we got was for the Fenchie only.

Our main priority is his health when travelling and also when we get to Perth, he struggles in the van on a warm day when travelling so we are trying to consider whats best for him first and foremost.

Thanks for the pointers.

Its a difficult one. We are leaving our much loved doglet behind (not a brach breed) and he will be moving to live with my parents. That they are experienced dog owners, have had him to stay for holidays and so on and he loves going there makes it far easier for us.

Frenchies need companinship, they really thrive having another Frenchie or other dog living with them. I never think of them as dogs suitable to be on their own.

It wasn't cost for us either but his quality of life and so on. We weighed it up, talked at length, discussed with my parents and so on and came to the conclusion that for Eric, his best interests, leaving him with my parents was the better thing to do. He doesn't cope with things like small spaces, new people, lots of dogs and kennels. He'd be a bag of nerves and I'd not put him through that and a huge change to his lifestyle once we are there. Its me that feels crappy of course, but knowing he'll be much loved makes it much easier to deal with.

I love frenchies & bostons too.. adorable sweet cute little things :)

As far as I was led to believe you are NOT allowed to crate 2 animals together for their own safety reasons, stressing each other out, possible fight, crate ventilation for 2 dogs etc. I might be wrong but that is what I was told

I love frenchies & bostons too.. adorable sweet cute little things :)

As far as I was led to believe you are NOT allowed to crate 2 animals together for their own safety reasons, stressing each other out, possible fight, crate ventilation for 2 dogs etc. I might be wrong but that is what I was told

Correct. However, you can split a crate with the mesh between them so they can see each other. Just won't be able to touch or cuddle up etc.

ah I see, so obviously for a larger dog like mine that wouldnt be possible (unless using a horse crate or something lol) but obviously do'able for smaller doggies.

We looked into it for a JRT and a whippet or two whippets (I fostered the JRT and was considering adopting her so wanted to see what was possible, alas I wasn't able to adopt due to her aggression with other dogs when out :no::no: ). We were told they could share a crate that was divided as they were both smallish and it wouldn't be an issue.

If mine are able to fly I will have them in different crates. As much as they play together, Until the Boston gets the knock!!! They don't sleep together and I often find them in separate rooms in the house. The Boxer loves the Boston more ha ha ha

I should have just kept to one dog but I thought he would like some company. They do work well together but I think Boo (Boston) wouldn't bat an eyelid if Bubba (boxer) disappeared in a puff of smoke.

To be fair on the boston.. would you like to to be a non boxer sharing 24/7 with a boxer ?? he prob needs that little bit of down time .. LOL Never met a boxer I didnt like & for many years was the breed of dog I wanted (till I became a VN) but they have got to be the most hyper bouncy dogs on the planet & I should imagine must tire their non boxer doggy pals out haha.

ps is that boo on your avatar, how adorable :)

To be fair on the boston.. would you like to to be a non boxer sharing 24/7 with a boxer ?? he prob needs that little bit of down time .. LOL Never met a boxer I didnt like & for many years was the breed of dog I wanted (till I became a VN) but they have got to be the most hyper bouncy dogs on the planet & I should imagine must tire their non boxer doggy pals out haha.

ps is that boo on your avatar, how adorable :)

Yes Lynn22 that is Boo, He only has one eye now though! He is a little star and Bubba is only 18 months and at nearly 6st he is a right handful. Mind you I'm used to it as I have always had Boxers. I had two previously together but sadly they have passed away.

I actually got Boo as at the time I was living in a small flat and it was unsuitable for a big dog. I got a Boston as my the breed was recommended by a friend. She forgot to mention how cold they get and he has more clothes me!! I must admit I don't dress dogs up for the sake of it but he does shiver a lot and needs clothes to keep him warm. Also in winter he has a heated pad in his bed and a little heater by his bed too which is by my side of the bed so during the night I feel him to see if he is shaking and cover him up. Also she failed to mention that you have to wipe his bum!!! But he is a great dog with a huge personality and is the cleverest dog I have ever had.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Boston to anyone but be prepared that they need more attention than most dogs. Bubba my Boxer is like a Junk Yard dog. He is turning out to be great dog and is always happy. Boo on the other hand can be a bit of a sulker... ha ha ha

Boo is top dog and puts Bubba in his place if he gets too much!!

I get my greys fleecies from "equafleece" & cant recommend them high enough. Junk yard dog haha, without being offensive as I am a hoooge boxer fan, they are rather brainless arent they LOL. I'm sure they have one , they just havent stayed still long enough to work out how to use it :) If I were to ever get a small dog (which i prob wont as its retired greyhounds for me) boston or frenchie would be near the top of my list but i've never known which would be the better choice of the two. Little border terriers are ace too though. Unfortunately being a vet nurse I always see their potential list of health problems before anything else LOL.

I use all in one fleeces on my whippet. Really easy to wash, have one as a house coat for chilly days and sleeping at night. They make them to fit other breeds also :) togsfordogs.net is usually where I order mine from.

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

I was told that mine could be crated together when recently asking for a quote with Pet Air UK; it would be a huge comfort for them as they already sleep in the crate together at home and will be kenneled together in quarantine. I'm no longer shipping three, shipping two is MUCH easier as they can share a crate and kennel so will be far happier. These dogs are in love and are a companion breed, and quite small so can't crush eachother.

WHOOPS!

I didn't mean Pet Air! I meant Jets 4 Pets, they're the ones that were really nice and helpful! Pet Air were a bit useless to be hones,t in the quote they said I would be paying for them booking quarantine, but J4P said that they do this anyway, and J4P were much nicer and more helpful, giving me tons of links, etc., and letting me crate my two together.

Guest The Pom Queen
I use all in one fleeces on my whippet. Really easy to wash, have one as a house coat for chilly days and sleeping at night. They make them to fit other breeds also :) togsfordogs.net is usually where I order mine from.

Didn't know you had whippets?

I have two, one that my client wanted me to PTS, I convinced him to sign him over to me and another that suffers SA but has come round really good. I love them to bits. I had to put a friends whippet to sleep and it was terrible I think I cried more than her:cry::cry:

are you a vet kate? what a brill job. i was working in vets for a few months we used to get a few owners bringing in their greyhounds to get pts, everybody in the vets loved them and a lot of the time they could convince the owner to sign them over and they got rehomed by the greyhound awarness league. They are lovely dogs!!