Guest Ginjafro

Guest Ginjafro

Hi, I succesfully passed the Trades Evidence Assessment Form recently (fantastic) and given the go ahead for the 2nd stage, Skype interview or practical test. I am now preparing to consider either option.

Has anyone done the Bench Joiner practical test during the last 6 months?

If so, what was the format and what were you asked to do?

Guest Ginjafro

Hi,

I am still seeking some replies. I understand that during the last 3 years or so the practical test involved making a saw horse and drawing a rod for a door. Is that still true today?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ginjafro

It is kind of disappointing that it appears no one is willing to help. In the meantime I have done further research and quite happy to offer guidance to others who maybe facing practical assessment in all trades as well as Bench Joinery. The VETASSESS site is not the most logical, helpful or easiest site for finding relevent info but I have found hidden amongst FAQs No22 the following useful link, a candidates guide http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/offshore/Candidate%20Kit.pdf

It doesn't tell you everything but after talking to my agent, now that I am booked in for a practical, I shall soon be emailed by VETASSESS with confirmation, given this guide and further detail of some of the jobs I might do on the day, ie build a saw horse or a number of other possibilities.

Hi,

My OH is doing his practical Joiner next Saturday (24th Sept) in London. We have had a letter stating that he will have to

Dress face & edge of timber

Rebate timber using static machine

Rip timer to required size using rip saw

Thickness timber to required dimensions

Maintain static machines, surface planner, rip saw, thicknesser

Use small plant & equipment

Draw full size set out of panel door & window as per plan

Construct mortise & tenon joint

Make set oouts

Prepare set out rod

When are you doing your test and where to you want to migrate to?

I hope this helps

Sporty

Guest Ginjafro
Hi,

My OH is doing his practical Joiner next Saturday (24th Sept) in London. We have had a letter stating that he will have to

Dress face & edge of timber

Rebate timber using static machine

Rip timer to required size using rip saw

Thickness timber to required dimensions

Maintain static machines, surface planner, rip saw, thicknesser

Use small plant & equipment

Draw full size set out of panel door & window as per plan

Construct mortise & tenon joint

Make set oouts

Prepare set out rod

When are you doing your test and where to you want to migrate to?

I hope this helps

Sporty

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I too shall be doing the assessment at the same time and place as your OH and have the same information you have been given, though I suspect we shall probably have to make a window or saw horse or some other piece of work as well. The samples they have sent us as you have quoted sounds straight forward enough, just any questions and any other surprises to worry about! We are going for State Sponsorship and hope to end up somewhere in Queensland.

Guest Ginjafro
Hi,i'm a joiner and getting my p-work together for the skills assessment.

How did your test go? the sample list doesn't seem too bad, but i noticed it was a 'vetassess' form.

Is that the same as 'TRA'?

Thanks,

Darren

Hi

It went okay and I was told I passed:biggrin:

I've no idea if it is the same as TRA but if your sample list was anything like posted above make sure you can do a rod. Do the rod and you should be able to produce any section of that rod drawing. Also, be sure you know your machines and convince the assessor you are never going to hurt yourself or anyone around you. Beware though, it is along day and very tough but stick at it, it'll be worth it.

Guest Ginjafro
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow. I hope it goes well

Sporty

Hi Sporty,

Thanks for your support, as you will know we both got through and dead chuffed for the both of us. It was a very tough day but we both deserved our success and now just have some (hopefully) smaller hoops and hurdles to get through. Meeting Marco made my day that much better, especially as we were the only two Joiners and the other 7 or 8 were site chippies doing something completely different.

Keep in touch and let us know your progress, keep calm and carry on :wink:

Hi Ginjafro,

Good news isn't it :jiggy:Onwards and upwards to live the dream. As soon as we receieve the certificate I will be submitting the WA SS and if that's successful then for that final application. We've so excited :laugh: Let us know how you go.

Sporty

Guest Ginjafro
Hi guys ,

I did the carpenters test on the 24th ,just thought i'd say hello .I remember the joiners because there were only two of you

Hi Ade72

What a day! We were there and you had to be there to understand it. I hope I never, ever have to do anything like that again but it was worth it.

Good luck with the future and all our dreams for Australia.

Come on sporty ,you know the chippy's worked alot harder that day :wink:I'm off to perth duncraig ,just in the process of booking my ielts test ( yes another test ) yes ginjafro what a day, after i'd spoke to you in the carpark when we were leaving i felt like crying with relief,good luck for the future

Hi Ginfaro

Sorry I am not posting with help but to ask yours my OH is looking at the application process and we are doing it ourselves so although it is the beginning it is quite tricky.

He has had his own business in joinery and building for 20 years+ and is a fantastic joiner/builder/craftsman. My question is that he is struggling with which joinery/ carpentry 'category' suits him best he is a classic English joiner but has never handled computer programmed machines and finds he fits most of all the categories but not exact should I phone trade set or vet assess what would you recommend. Congratulations on hearing about your pass by the way well done! Any help would really be appreciated

Hi Ade,

OH did the test but he's not sure how it went. I think he did well from what he said, easy for me to say when I was sat at home lol He said it was strange how they do the test so I am going to book another test just in case then cancel if needs be.

Sporty

Hi Paul/Lousia,

My other half was the same. He choose to do the joinery test as it was the best match to his day to day job. He didn't have to do any programming on the day but if you PM me I will send you the info that we completed and a more detail over view of the day.

Thanks

Sporty