do you regret it?

Guest51810

I got my girl from an ad on a bulletin board at work - I shudder to think who could have gotten their hands on her :( She is a pedigreed lab (yep, they handed over the papers and everything), and was 'entire' when we got her.

We didn't pay anything for her, but they did come and visit us first. I insisted on keeping her and didn't let her leave we loved her so much!

Now with the costs of shipping her over we're calling her the most expensive free-dog on the planet!

Well, that and, 'you &*&^y chicken thief' (roast chook stolen from bench on the weekend.....)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also got one of our dogs from a advert but i dont think id do it again, if i ever get another dog ill go to a rescue thing. We paid for her and the lady said she was scared to hand lucy into the dog home incase someone took her for dogfighting, yet she handed her to two strangers for money, so stupid! We offered to take her to our house to check everything but she didnt want to. Obviously we are good owners but we could of been monsters! I just wanted the OP to know that there are bad people out there trawling the ads for free dogs :(

It's so true :(

Satch has obviously been used for breeding, but they said she'd only had one litter - it's so obviously untrue that I now doubt everything her previous owners told us! Plus the fact they hadn't even bothered to give her any vaccinations in the 5 years they had her from a puppy!!

another life taken by a Staff today in Sydney , they are now trying to wipe out Staffs full stop like they did in the uk , it may get passed tmoz i dont know as im not a polotition,i feel sorry for the dogs but hiw mamy kids and adults need to be killed or scard for life b4 something is done .....

Hey chick.....if it makes you feel better...i have just re homed my 5 siamese cats (2 which were 9 month old kittens)...i loved them all dearly...one was very attached to me aswell.....but felt it would be less stressfull of them to find new loving homes and new mummys for them in the county they are used, with the climate they are used to without putting them through the stress of 4 week quarenteen in australia and the flight which is a long time for an animal to go through....i do miss them alot i really do....and i am not even in australia yet !!..but decided it would be better to re home a "while" before i go so i can get over the sad feeling stage and not let it interfear with my progress when i get out to australia..as you will need to focus on yourself then....also it helps if you can see them in there new home and hear how they get on...so it feels better before you leave....my babies have been gone 3 weeks on sunday now and i can honestly say yes i miss them alot and there has been tears.... but they will be ok ands are safe...and the tears have not come quite so oftern this week and its getting better....and for animals , yes of course they love you but.....they do learn to love others too...."ye who holds the food bowl is loved !!! "...so dont beat yourself up if they do go to newe mums.....its an awfull lot of money to spend to send them over aswell ....remember you can always get another dog in australia.....but you might not get another chance at getting a visa......please put your own needs first lovey....and try not to be sad and let emotions drag down your dreams, i know its hard!!.......i have let my emotions get the better of me way to many times and i am australian juts trying to return home after 20 years in the uk.....this time i am going to go he full way...so good luck to you hun!!. xx

Thanks very much kitty! We arent definitely going as its going to be hard to get a visa due to daves job but i just want to get prepared incase it happens cos it will all happen very quickly.

Really sorry to hear about your babies, your right about it being a lot to put them through and i think they would be happier in the uk, must be hard tho. I love my dogs to bits but erics a old man now, he just couldnt move. Lucy could but its not fair to split them up, theyre like a old married couple xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just thought i'd offer my opinion on taking older dogs. We took our 2 dogs when they were 8 and 10. They were both completely fine. One of my dogs (the younger one) is a complete baby and terrified of everything and she coped fine. Like you we would never split them up so we probably wouldn't have gone if we couldn't have taken them.

But as for quality of life...it was so much better for them! In the 3 houses we have lived in there has been a park 15 seconds away. The older dog (no longer with us) loved the sun! Couldn't keep her out of it and as she was getting older I think it helped her like it helps us humans.

The only difference is they were healthy when we took them so I can see the reluctance because of the heart murmur. But I just wanted to say that age doesnt necessarily matter! My oldest had 5 years of sunshine :o)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I know this thread is quite old but i had to have a look to make myself feel slightly better. We seem to be getting closer to our chance of moving, got a interview in manchester in the next few weeks. I've had a difficult weekend with Eric because of the fireworks, hes been really scared and its just made me think about leaving him, i kept having second thoughts today about moving even though its what i want. I just wish i could take them both but yes its just for my own selfish reasons. the reaction of eric with the fireworks just shows how stressed he would be on the plane and quarantine etc :( we've spoke about bringing lucy with us but we're still not sure if she would miss him too much.

wish it wasnt so hard!

Hi Hunny, i know how hard it is when it come to giving up pets that you love, but if you take them with you it would be very expensive...if you can afford to take them well thats great...and if they are healthy and you have somwhere to keep them at the other side after quarenteen then do so...but remember if you would be jepordizing your own chances...such as finding a rental as a new resident of australia then the thing i would do (and have done with my 5 cats) is to find them new loving homes all together (which i have done and they are juuuust fine).....i wish i could have taken them with me but at over £12000 pounds to pet air them all and to pay for there quarenntee fees i sydney at the other end we simply couldnt afford to do this then there was the problem of finding a rental as alot wont accept pets and as a new resident i wanted to give myself the best chances i could (even if i am an australian by birth who left 22 years ago) ...so sadly but well thought out we found new homes for our 5 kittys....(make sure you give youself time to do this properly and NOT panicked at the last minute) this way you can assure they are well settled before you leave and that way u will be happier about your choice....im sure dogs would be fine on the flight over if you DO choose to take them but i personaly wouldnt want to split them up at the last minute...if this is the case then give it time before you go so they can adjust ok...but it is terribly expensive sadly...and so it was not a choice we had. xxxx its not your fault and remember they arent going to be hurt if they are re homed and will be happy with a good adopted family to look after them for you and im sure they will keep in touch aswell . x:wink::jimlad:

Im just worrying myself over nothing! havent even got a visa yet but things seem to be progressing with finding a sponsor and the employer we've spoke to want us out for april/may if they end up offering dave a job. Daves had eric since we was a pup so it'll be a lot harder for him but he keeps telling me they will be fine at his mums ( they live there the now) she spoils them rotten. Everybody ive spoken to (family n friends) think im crazy for thinking of giving my dream up because of pets, but its just not as easy when your so close to them!

Hun the thing is to stop thinkinh your giving them up....your not!!...your letting them saty with daves mum....they are just fine...and guess what if its that bad when you get out there , then there is the choice to have them shipped out from daves mums....juts look at it as a recce...get your selfs sorted first and they get the dogs out afterwards....you will be missing out if you dont try australia...and remember the dogs are just fine and being loved and fussed over...they will be very happy im sure...so stop being silly and knocking yourself...your not doing anything wrong ok. x katt

:hug:

Hun the thing is to stop thinkinh your giving them up....your not!!...your letting them saty with daves mum....they are just fine...and guess what if its that bad when you get out there , then there is the choice to have them shipped out from daves mums....juts look at it as a recce...get your selfs sorted first and they get the dogs out afterwards....you will be missing out if you dont try australia...and remember the dogs are just fine and being loved and fussed over...they will be very happy im sure...so stop being silly and knocking yourself...your not doing anything wrong ok. x katt

:hug:

thank you katt! your definitely right, i told daves mum how i was feeling and i think she was a bit insulted lol as if she would treat them badly or something. They're so spoiled there, she treats them like proper grandkids! :goofy: No point worrying untill we've even been offered sponsorship but im just a natural worrier! :laugh:

thanks for your advice x

no problems hunny, yes we all worry but as you say leave that until later...but make provisions and plans to go ahead with your dreams...your pups will be juts fine as you now know...so no need to be sad or worry...just see it as a long holiday...and you can still come back and see them when you visit the uk and give them lots of yummy treats and things so dont fret. x :wink:

• Like 1

hey stacey

i moved to WA 7 months ago and rehomed my dog 9 months ago and i dont regret it one bit, he is so happy and settled with his new family. i got fairly slated on here being told id abadoned him etc, but to me the stress and trauma of the flights and kennels was to much to put my dog through for my needs, i always put my animals welfare before my feelings and it sounds like you are being very sensible and already have a fab set up in place

I find the problem is that people see thier pets as mini people when they are at the end of the day dogs, yes they are part of the family etc but they are also for the most part happy as long as they get walked, pats and food. Ive had rescue dogs most of my life and know from exipernce its a rare day a dog will pine away for its owner, they just arent like that. It sounds like you have the ideal situation with his mum wanting them andloveing them, plus means that you can speak to her whenever you want about how they are doing, see them easily when you come back to visit, hell even skype them !

i rescued a gorgous dog from the pound a few months back as i missed the company etc and hes fab, theres so many unwanted dogs here its crazy so you will def find a new fur ball to love.

Better to leave yours safe and happy than put them through something you dont need to i think :)

hey stacey

i moved to WA 7 months ago and rehomed my dog 9 months ago and i dont regret it one bit, he is so happy and settled with his new family. i got fairly slated on here being told id abadoned him etc, but to me the stress and trauma of the flights and kennels was to much to put my dog through for my needs, i always put my animals welfare before my feelings and it sounds like you are being very sensible and already have a fab set up in place

I find the problem is that people see thier pets as mini people when they are at the end of the day dogs, yes they are part of the family etc but they are also for the most part happy as long as they get walked, pats and food. Ive had rescue dogs most of my life and know from exipernce its a rare day a dog will pine away for its owner, they just arent like that. It sounds like you have the ideal situation with his mum wanting them andloveing them, plus means that you can speak to her whenever you want about how they are doing, see them easily when you come back to visit, hell even skype them !

i rescued a gorgous dog from the pound a few months back as i missed the company etc and hes fab, theres so many unwanted dogs here its crazy so you will def find a new fur ball to love.

Better to leave yours safe and happy than put them through something you dont need to i think :)

Hey hels, thanks for your reply. Im really sorry to hear people said that to you, thats completely unfair. I really would love to bring them but when i think about it properly they just wouldnt have the same life over there. I guess i just worry some people will think im abandoning them but the people that actually matter know its the right choice. Just doesnt make it any easier. Glad to hear you've got a new friend, i dont think i'll rehome any animal for a long time till im sure im staying permanently. Ive heard theres lots of unwanted animals over there, its a shame

You can always be a dog walker at the local shelter or foster a dog over here to get your doggy fix. At the end of the day if people want to be narrow minded, let them, i know he would have been scraed to death on that flight and hes just as happy with them as he was with me. Putting human emotions on to a dog is a common thing, ask any dog trainer, they arent little people they are dogs. i look at an animals welfare over any of my needs to feelings, and the people that matter will think whatever you decide is the right thing for you and your doggies, i couldnt forgive myself if something had happened to my dog when he was on a flight, imagine the guilt . Id rather him be happy and waggy with new people than over here poteniatlly baking and being got by spiders etc

Dogs dont have the same qaulity of life/freedoms over here, dog parks and beaches are few and letting them off the lead isnt really allowed, unless in fenced in marked areas, i do miss the Uk walks and freedom to roam.

Im sure your boys will be fine at their mum in laws and have a ball :)

You can always be a dog walker at the local shelter or foster a dog over here to get your doggy fix. At the end of the day if people want to be narrow minded, let them, i know he would have been scraed to death on that flight and hes just as happy with them as he was with me. Putting human emotions on to a dog is a common thing, ask any dog trainer, they arent little people they are dogs. i look at an animals welfare over any of my needs to feelings, and the people that matter will think whatever you decide is the right thing for you and your doggies, i couldnt forgive myself if something had happened to my dog when he was on a flight, imagine the guilt . Id rather him be happy and waggy with new people than over here poteniatlly baking and being got by spiders etc

Dogs dont have the same qaulity of life/freedoms over here, dog parks and beaches are few and letting them off the lead isnt really allowed, unless in fenced in marked areas, i do miss the Uk walks and freedom to roam.

Im sure your boys will be fine at their mum in laws and have a ball :)

you've made me feel so much better, cant thank you enough!! it makes so much sense. I think lucy would be bitten in a week, she would want to take all the spiders/snakes on, shes nuts lol. and she loves to run around the parks, fields and swim in the water and i just dont think she could do that in oz. daves mum will just have to put them on skype for me lol and send lots of pics. It's just the thought of not being there when its time for eric to go that really upsets me but that could be a long time from now and the moves not forever, we could be back in 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for all the advice, really really appreciate it :hug: