do you regret it?

Guest51810

It is hard, no denying it but I think for us its often harder before it happens than when it actually does. We think about it, agonize over it, run through all these scenarios in our head and play devils advocate with our own emotions. All these months, even years before we need to really address it. The dog hasn't a clue, is happy with life and then has a bit of upheaval and then settles into a new life (and is usually as happy as before).

Don't put yourself through all this now. It doesn't help. Be realistic, it could be another 2 years before you move to Aus.

I know people will say dogs manage during the flight and the quarantines look after them. I'm not disputing that for most of them. But for some dogs, that small handful that don't cope with things like that, they do need to have consideration given. I know our own Eric would be petrified in a crate and in kennels at the other end. He is a true whippet and fairs badly when kept on his own and without free runs and company. He also just curls up when he hears lot of other dogs barking (he's been to kennels, I know how he does there). To say he is of a sensitive nature is an understatement. But he is the most loving dog to us, his family pack and we adore him, even with all his quirks. But would I ask of him that big move all the way to Aus to a totally different way of life? When all is said and done, deep down, as much as I might want it, its for purely selfish reasons I'd want to take him. And I know he'll be just as happy, perhaps happier here, left with my parents. They have said they will have him in a heartbeat and I know he will be much loved. Also my experiences with the dog rescue as a fosterer and so on, I know dogs settle well into their new homes 99% of the time.

Good luck with it all. Feel free to drop me a PM anytime if you want to chat more about things :)

Hey, im sorry i wanted to write a longer reply but i was on my phone. Your message helped me a lot. Our dogs sound very similar, maybe its the name eric lol. Hes very sensitive, the littlest noise outside like a bang scares him a lot. I imagine he would be petrified on the flight and its a very long time to be, i would never forgive myself if anything happened to him. I think lucy would be fairly happy in oz, she was a city dog before we made her a country bumpkin! but shed be even happier staying with daves mum so its a no brainer really. just hard but maybe easier if the time ever comes. I really shouldnt even be thinking about it, im just trying to get myself ready because we've got a recruitment agency trying to get dave sponsorship so technically they could turn round and say we want you over in january, doubt it tho.

I've got a bad habit of overthinking things and end up worrying myself over nothing!! They're always staying at daves mums house and we take all their toys and beds etc so when/if they move they'll think its just another sleepover lol.

Best of luck to yous and eric! where in oz are you heading over to?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I have taken my 2 smallest cats from Italy to the UK, gained another (fat) one in the UK and all 3 are currently in Eastern Creek Quarantine in Sydney. I get to see them on Tuesday woo hooo!!! No, I would never have considered moving without them, they are family. It has cost us an arm and a leg in vet fees, vaccinations, shipping, the lot.... and I am happy to have spent every penny on them. If you have loving homes in the UK for your doggies, then that would make things easier in leaving them, but if the "difficulty" in the paperwork is the only thing making you wonder about leaving them behind, I say do the paperwork and take them. You will be happy for it after. The paperwork is a right royal pain in the a^^^^ but to be honest it wasn't that hard once you got your head round it, even I managed to go it LOL!!! And, the people in DEFRA are lovely, and the AQIS stuff was a doddle too. Hope this is of help, I know how hard it is with the loving bond we have with pets. xxx

Stacey,i may get some stick for this but whats new , i would defo leave /re house the staffs it just wouldnt be right for them.........the heat could send them crazy,i dont want to put them in the same catagory as pitt bulls but there has been one or two bad cases of dog attacks in ,Melbourne just recently ,probs due to the sudden heat and if the dogs kept outside its bound to frazzle its brain..........hence the attacks .....you go with your instincs though but you do sound very undecided.......

Guest siamsusie
Stacey,i may get some stick for this but whats new , i would defo leave /re house the staffs it just wouldnt be right for them.........the heat could send them crazy,i dont want to put them in the same catagory as pitt bulls but there has been one or two bad cases of dog attacks in ,Melbourne just recently ,probs due to the sudden heat and if the dogs kept outside its bound to frazzle its brain..........hence the attacks .....you go with your instincs though but you do sound very undecided.......

:laugh: Nick, if a dog became frazzled with the heat in Melbourne right now, I want to know which shire please.. Its winter mate:biglaugh:.

There was a case yesterday of a neighbour's dog running into a Sudanese family's home and savaged a wee girl to death, but I dont know the full cirucmstances.

Personally I would leave it to the experts to advise on whether a certain breed should come or not!

Susie :notworthy:

:laugh: Nick, if a dog became frazzled with the heat in Melbourne right now, I want to know which shire please.. Its winter mate:biglaugh:.

There was a case yesterday of a neighbour's dog running into a Sudanese family's home and savaged a wee girl to death, but I dont know the full cirucmstances.

Personally I would leave it to the experts to advise on whether a certain breed should come or not!

Susie :notworthy:[/QUO

Now let me think , and thats not easy you know ........it could have been Queensland , where ever someone one her mentioned the heat (and it wasnt UK) ...dogs weregoing franco barasi to the heat , same here in WA the dogs loose it just like the women here they turn strange with the heat .....such strange creatures but beutiful ones at that .........

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry Nick but you really need to look at your post, heat doesn't send a dog crazy and the weather in Melbourne at the minute is freezing.

Back to the OP, I love Staffies and have had many through my doors, the main isues we saw were skin complaints and sunburn. Staffies are very much like whippets in that they are prone to stress. Unfortunately only you can decide, I am sure they would have a wonderful life over here with you and as we don't have bonfire night they wouldn't have the fireworks then :wink:

Hugs

K

About two months before I left England, we had to put our whippet, 'Sandy' to sleep. He was really my Nana's dog - she lived with us. I remember coming home from work and Nana was sitting with Mum. 'I''ve lost my pal.' she said.

Then when I did depart, Mum, Dad and Nana came down to see me off and I never saw Nana again.

In a ?perverse? way, I'm almost glad that Sandy died before I left. Does that make sense?

I still sometimes think to myself, 'It was your fault, Dave, you split this family up.' I left Oct, 1978, my brother Neil, in May, 1979, and my brother Mick in September, 1979. We left in order of age too.

The house felt so empty after Mick left that Mum and Dad went to stay with Dad's brother in Wales.

You really appreciate what you are doing leaving home when you are on a ship I think - you know, when they have all those streamers between ship and quay and they play that song - Maori one??? I'll have to Google the name of it. 'Now is the time.......///?'

Leaving a person, or leaving a dog, it still hurts.

In 1913 Palings published a piano-variations piecein Australia, Swiss Cradle Song.

In 1915 its opening theme was modified for the singing of Po Atarau to farewell Maori WW1 soldiers.

In 1920 Maewa Kaihau wrote a This is the Hour verse, and in 1935 she modified the Po Atarau verse.

This became the Haere Ra Waltz Song, which was sung when steamships were departing overseas.

English wartime singer Gracie Fields learnt Haere Ra on a visit to New Zealand in 1945.

Her version of it, known as Now is the Hour, became a world-wide hit in 1948.

poatarau.gif

Pö atarau

E moea iho nei

E haere ana

Koe ki pämamao

Haere rä

Ka hoki mai anö

Ki i te tau

E tangi atu nei On a moonlit night

I see in a dream

You going away

To a distant land

Farewell,

But return again

To your loved one,

Weeping here

Sorry Nick but you really need to look at your post, heat doesn't send a dog crazy and the weather in Melbourne at the minute is freezing.

Back to the OP, I love Staffies and have had many through my doors, the main isues we saw were skin complaints and sunburn. Staffies are very much like whippets in that they are prone to stress. Unfortunately only you can decide, I am sure they would have a wonderful life over here with you and as we don't have bonfire night they wouldn't have the fireworks then :wink:

Hugs

K

It's slowly creeping up here, it's been just over 30 the last few days.

Furnished Rentals in Melbourne

Helping New Migrants in Melbourne - Furnished Accommodation

Kate, i knew i wasnt going crazy(or spending too much time in the WA sun) , this was posted by yourself only 5 days ago and of course the heat sends dogs crazy,that pitt bull that mauled the 4 yr old in Melbourne2 days ago was probs roaming around in the heat ,having its brain frazzled .:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mazkinmond5
cheers tony. Some people prob think im a total crackpot for thinking of not going because of my dogs, my dad thinks im nuts lol. Eric keeps looking at me and giving me sad looks, its as if he knows im thinking of leaving him. Lol ok maybe i have lost the plot!! :goofy:

Hi Stacey- I dont thinkk you are mad it the same with my two!! my brother-in-law was gonna take my two dogs and just landed yest to announce he cant take them anymore!! dont know what we are gonna do!! we fly in 7 weeks- and if we dont find someone we may need to take them to the pound!! just cant bare the tought!! and we cant afford to bring them also the oldest is 10 and wouldnt be fit enough for the journy!! i am typing this weeping as he is outside looking so sad I am sure he knows!! dont know how this one is goona work out :em4600:

Guest mazkinmond5
Hey there, really sorry to hear that. :wubclub: is there any other family that can help? I hope a family or friend can take them for you so at least you know where they are x

hi thanks, no but we do have a neighbour that was intrested - but since got a pup ! just wish BIL told us sooner!!

Hi Stacey- I dont thinkk you are mad it the same with my two!! my brother-in-law was gonna take my two dogs and just landed yest to announce he cant take them anymore!! dont know what we are gonna do!! we fly in 7 weeks- and if we dont find someone we may need to take them to the pound!! just cant bare the tought!! and we cant afford to bring them also the oldest is 10 and wouldnt be fit enough for the journy!! i am typing this weeping as he is outside looking so sad I am sure he knows!! dont know how this one is goona work out :em4600:

Whatever you do don't take them to the local pound. Pounds have a PTS policy after 5-7 days.

Look for local dog rescues in your area (or even outside of it if need be). I am sure there are some. I know of a few for lurchers and greyhounds and I am sure I could turn up more with a search on Google for other dogs types or general dog rescues.

Rescues might be small, have foster carers not kennels, but unless the dog is so ill/infirm or too aggressive to safely rehome, they will do their utmost to ensure dogs are taken in and a home found for them.

I foster and volunteer for a number of rescues and know it is possible to have dogs taken in. You've time in 7 weeks to do your homework and chase dog rescues and sign them over knowing there isn't a PTS policy within a week.

Guest mazkinmond5
Whatever you do don't take them to the local pound. Pounds have a PTS policy after 5-7 days.

Look for local dog rescues in your area (or even outside of it if need be). I am sure there are some. I know of a few for lurchers and greyhounds and I am sure I could turn up more with a search on Google for other dogs types or general dog rescues.

Rescues might be small, have foster carers not kennels, but unless the dog is so ill/infirm or too aggressive to safely rehome, they will do their utmost to ensure dogs are taken in and a home found for them.

I foster and volunteer for a number of rescues and know it is possible to have dogs taken in. You've time in 7 weeks to do your homework and chase dog rescues and sign them over knowing there isn't a PTS policy within a week.

Thanks , yea i meant rescue there is a place near here that i used to volunteer in and the lady is lovely - but still would be horrible to take them there!! I have placed a few adds as they are lovely family dogs- surely someone will take them.

Guest mazkinmond5
Would your neighbour take them if the got along with pup? If you use a rescue centre try somewhere like the dogs trust

hopefully he may consider that - will need to talk to him ASAP, thanks

Thanks , yea i meant rescue there is a place near here that i used to volunteer in and the lady is lovely - but still would be horrible to take them there!! I have placed a few adds as they are lovely family dogs- surely someone will take them.

Truthfully, I'd take them to a decent reputable rehoming centre every time over placing an ad in the paper and having someone I've never met, vetted, homechecked etc walk off with them. Also they have no obligation to keep the dogs and so could themselves just dump them at the pound at any point. Also they might appear decent but could well be dodgy (you have no idea the amount of people who trawl online selling sites etc for dogs for not so nice purposes, even going so far as to let you visit their 'home' to check it out etc, when that isn't where the dogs end up).

Rescues will ensure the dogs are chipped and if the new owners can no longer continue to keep them the usual policy is to have the dogs brought back to the rescue and they rehome again. Far safer for the dog in the long term.

Please take them to a rescue rather than give to a friend or someone who replies to an ad. It is the best thing for your dogs IMHO.

Guest mazkinmond5
Truthfully, I'd take them to a decent reputable rehoming centre every time over placing an ad in the paper and having someone I've never met, vetted, homechecked etc walk off with them. Also they have no obligation to keep the dogs and so could themselves just dump them at the pound at any point. Also they might appear decent but could well be dodgy (you have no idea the amount of people who trawl online selling sites etc for dogs for not so nice purposes, even going so far as to let you visit their 'home' to check it out etc, when that isn't where the dogs end up).

Rescues will ensure the dogs are chipped and if the new owners can no longer continue to keep them the usual policy is to have the dogs brought back to the rescue and they rehome again. Far safer for the dog in the long term.

Please take them to a rescue rather than give to a friend or someone who replies to an ad. It is the best thing for your dogs IMHO.

Good advise - think you are prob right.

Guest mazkinmond5
I hope you dont think we're being rude saying that, its just theres so many people out there that are looking at ads for dogs and using them for terrible things, i hope your neighbour can help. Best of luck x

Not at all - it makes sense, never even thought about it like that. Thanks for helping straight out my thinking.