Drivers licence whilst still offshore?

Guest Big Steve

Guest Big Steve

Hi,

Is it possible to apply for a Drivers licence, Tax Number, Medicare or any other 'official' document whilst still offshore? I need more points to be able to import a vehicle, but without actually being in Oz, it's proving quite difficult.

Would Poste Restante help here?

Apologies for double posting - there wasn't a 'natural' forum.

Guest Big Steve

Hi Susie,

Visa was validated about 2 years ago. I'm now just looking for suitable documentation to allow my application for a vehicle import - and that may mean a quick trip to/from Oz just to do this before the final 1 way trip in Nov.

Other options might be 'pick a school' and enrol my son. Could that be done offshore?

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie,

Visa was validated about 2 years ago. I'm now just looking for suitable documentation to allow my application for a vehicle import - and that may mean a quick trip to/from Oz just to do this before the final 1 way trip in Nov.

Other options might be 'pick a school' and enrol my son. Could that be done offshore?

Steve, if you have validated your visa, I would have thought you could register for your TFN on line ( other members will hopefully confirm this)

A driving licence you would physically have to go to the office to complete paper work, eye tests, photographs etc.

As far as the tax file number is concerned we were always told that we could only apply for it when in the country. We did the same for the driving licence and whey need you to sit an eysight test and have your picture taken, so not too sure if you could do that offshore.

With regards to importing the car and the extra points that you need, one option would be to have your car stored with the shippers until you come over here and get all the paperwork that you need. We did this with Pickford's while we were waiting for the import licence to come through and their rates for storage were not too bad at all. Sure if you ask around the other big players they may be cheaper. That way you can come over, sort the peperwork out that you need (as they are quite cuick to do) and them get them to import it for you.

Hi Susie,

You may be able to enrol a child in a private school without a permanent address but in general, the state schools need evidence of residence as they have a catchment area and must provide places for kids in that area.

I am sure there are others on this forum who have brought vehicles over but havent had this palaver - most people coming wouldnt have a place to live in before they arrive. Dont know how they have got around it

Guest Martin R

I had same issues when applying for Import Permit for our car. I had the Visa 457, and had letter of offer from Aussie Employer, plus all the other UK Documentation for Car.

But you cannot get a TFN until you have entered Aus. Also, you cannot apply for an Aussie driving license until you have either lived in Aus for 6 months, or have Permanent Visa/residency.

The Application Forms for vehicle import ask for proof of "application" for TFN and Driver's License. All I did was include a print out from my Online aplication for TFN which basically said "I couldn't have one until I was in Aus", so I proved I'd applied for TFN. I also added a copy of the official statement from ACT stating that UK driving License is accepted in Aus, so I didn't need to apply for one.

Import Permit approved within 4 weeks.

Guest Martin R

We actually had to leave our car with the UK Agent and fly to Aus pending Import Doc. The Import Permit doc was along winded affair to prepare, but it came thru OK. Car shipped a couple of weeks after we'd arrived in NSW.

• 2 months later...
Guest Big Steve

A quick update on this....

I emailed everything I could that 'might' have made up the points and it was accepted - my import approval request was granted. Although not on the 'official list' (which they do say isn't exhaustive) I used my mortgage company's letter approving our intent to 'let' the property rather than sell. My resignation letter, even though I have no work in Oz (yet!), An Aussie bank statement for an account not yet validated and used the address of the holiday apartment rental we will use as a base to find somewhere more permanent. Also booked flight details etc.

So a good experience of the process. Showing full intent to move rather than trying to pull a fast one (which is why the controls are in place) and my car is due off the boat in a week!