brideycollette

How long do you commute in the mornings to get to work :)

How long do you commute in the mornings to get to work
:)

The reason i ask this is........ the place we will be renting for a little while( holiday let ) will be quite a drive /train journey to OH's new workplace .

Just wondering if he is the only nutter who will be driving more than a hour + to get to work .

Thanks Brides x

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

I commute about ten seconds (down stairs and to the study - I work from home!) but hubby commutes about 40 mins. This is the max that we would consider, but the reason for that is that hubby often works seven day weeks, long hours, until 9 at night, and to have him do two+ hours commute per day on top of that is too much. We have two small children, and if he got home any later than he did he wouldn't see them. Our eldest is at school now, so she only gets to see him on one day per week if he manages to get a weekend day off from work.

If they were a bit older and bedtimes etc weren't so early, or if he worked regular 9-5 Monday to Friday we would consider him doing a longer commute, but not yet.

I would say it depends on your family circumstances and the working hours in question.

When we first got here though the commute was longer, but only for a month or two until we found somewhere permanent to live. One of the considerations when we bought this house was how long in the car, and can he commute by train (which he can from the next suburb).

When we first got here though the commute was longer, but only for a month or two until we found somewhere permanent to live. One of the considerations when we bought this house was how long in the car, and can he commute by train (which he can from the next suburb).

Yup that will be our problem for a little while , he could always stay in a hotel for the week i suppose and maybe come home weekends till we find something closer .

He will be working 10 hour days ( he is use to working longer ) just i don't fancy him driving for long period's of time .

Thanks Brides x

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

I have a 25 min journey which is brilliant because it's against the flow of traffic heading into the city so I don't get stuck in a traffic jam either going or coming home. If my hubby has to go into base, a 30 min journey is about 45 mins in hte morning

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

when I went for my interview where I work (11am), it was a 30mins drive to do 30km. On my first morning (7am) it took over an hour! If you are driving it entirely depends on the traffic. My route in Melbourne involves the western ring road, which was only ever built as 2 lanes, so now they are widening it which means they've closed off the emergency lanes. Due to horrendous Aussie driving there's always some accident which blocks it, and due to so many people driving cars 20+ years old, they always break down and block it too. The 30min journey can easily turn into 2+ hours.

A lot of suburban areas have rail crossings which cause massive queues and often the traffic lights timing is bad so you'll have a 3km queue one direction and nothing the other. I also find that most main roads run to/from the CBD, with little going around the outer suburbs. This means my 'alternative' route is 70km!

If I took the train, it would take more than 2.5 hours as I would have to travel into the CBD first, then out again and the train station is still 10km from my work!

Unfortunately, I got my job 1 week after we chose where to rent. I was hoping to move a bit closer, but my wife has built up a network where we live now and chosen a school for the kids, so we have to live far from my work.

Sorry, turned into a rant, but just trying to say, it all depends on the traffic. I have Google maps displaying the traffic for my entire run on my phone before I set of, just to check whether it's hopeless or not.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

I walk 15-20min. Or I can cycle in 5-10.

Personally I wouldn't want to be commuting over an hour, but if it's just temporary for a few weeks, then it's not so much of a problem.

I think 25,000 commute from the Central Coast to Sydney every day so that probably means 90 mins to two hours - be the same for The Blue Mountains. Penrith & Campbelltown are close to an hour, traffic jams if you drive, getting to the station, changing trains or buses. The big Aussie cities are all sprawling places so it can be like crossing London. The centre of Sydney is actually at Parramatta - 20 plus K west of the CBD.

I have about a 45 minute drive to work. It's OK though as I go down West Coast Highway and have the sea on one side, so nice views most of the way. Quite relaxing really, with joggers out, bike riders, surfers.

It might be a bit quicker if I went down the freeway, but it feels like longer.

I used to have to get across Stockport and around to Salford when I lived in the UK. The weather was usually horrible too so that made it worse. It used to feel a lot longer commute than I do now. At lease here the sun is usually shining, to and from work.

I think if it is a temporary thing it would be fine, but you might find that any more than a month or three and it might get tiresome! Not just for him doing the commute, but also for you at home with the children (if you have any, sorry I don't know).

My daily commute - 10 minutes bike ride followed by 45 minute train ride followed by 20 minute bus ride. Then the reverse in the evening. Sometimes I walk instead of bike - adds an extra 15 minutes.

Sounds a lot but I get a heck of a lot of reading/work done. I have been doing this for 1 year now. You get used to it.

I used to drive 1 hour to get to work in my last role.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest hels

When we first arrived and stayed with a friend it was 40 mins for me and 45 mins on the bus for hubby, now its 10 mins for me and 7 mins on the train for him, lifes to short to sit in the car :)

Guest Newlymarriedinaus

I have a lovely 20min walk along the coast (rain or shine!) and then a 40 min train journey.

I get through alot of books. However my husband does meet me at the station to go home!

Hubby's commute is 20 minutes drive.

Liz x

Warren, Liz, Paige 18 & Ethan 15

TRA Aug 2007, 175 lodged 14/02/08 WA SS applied for 4/06/09, WA SS approval 7/10/09 CO allocated 27/7/10 PCs 9/9/10 Meds 27/9/10 VISA GRANTED 4 Nov 2010 WA 2/4/11 Citizenship ceremony 30/11/16

My hubby does about 38 miles ( 1 hour drive) each way. He leaves really early so he's In the office for around 6.30 & avoids Aberdeens rush hour traffic then gets to leave around 3.30 or there abouts to do the same, normally hes home no later than 5 pm.