Who to use for Shipping????

RPJG

Hi everyone,

I have a quick questions...... probrobly a common one too....

I am looking into the possibility of shipping around a third of a 20ft container over to Perth from Glasgow in the coming weeks and have been given a quote from a couple of companies. However, I have been quoted over 2000 pounds plus a 3% insurance charge and 245 aquis charge when the container arrives in Perth..... I thought this was quite expensive as I only live in a small 2 Bed house here in the UK.

Is this expensive or are my heads in the clouds???

Also if anyone could recommend some Relocating Compaines this would be very helpful???

Any other comments are welcome!!

Thanks

Hi there,

That price does seem good to tell you the truth as we had a part container with a car in it for around 4k. With the insurance we were able to change the end cost as we decided not to insure all the items we shipped as we did not think it was worth it. It may sound silly, but we decided we would but new stuff if anything happened and the insurance cost did not justify it. With regards to the inspection tax when your goods arrive in Australia, we were told by our shipping company, that this was just a rough estimate as they could not say for sure how much it was going to cost. The end cost will depend upon how detailed the inspection is and if anything is questioned or cleaned.

We went with Pickford's and the service was OK, not great. In saying that though it was the first time we had shipped stuff across the world, so not too sure what would of constituted to great. Some of the items were damaged on arrival in Oz though. A mirror broken and a few scratches on the car. They were good about this and did pay up quite quick. From what we heard though, all are pretty much the same. Good luck with who you go with.

Sounds right to be honest, a full 20ft will come in around £4k give or take a few hundred, and only using 1/3 won't necessarily mean you pay proportionately. So far I estimate our junk will be between 1/3 and 1/2 a 20-footer and will be pleased if it comes in at under £2.5k! We live in a biggish 3 bed house but this doesn't relate to the amount of stuff we're taking, loads is being sold or given away. The bulkiest thing that's going is hubby's CD collection, currently filling no less than 18 boxes :eek: and no he won't just burn it all to hard drives, his plastic addiction is driving me crazy heheh!

Hi there

We had a few quotes in that varied from £4000 - £4800 for a 20ft container. We liked pickfords so bartered with them and got the price down a few hundred quid. We arranged our own insurance which saved us a further £1000. The insurance was really easy to do and we are covered for exactly the same as the shippers were covering. Pickfords were fantastic and we could not fault them at all.

Hope this helps

Jules

Now got our quote and I was pretty much correct, a shade under half a container. Will cost a little over £2.5k but will see if I can get another lower quote and have ammo to negotiate a little. Insurance will be 3% also but have been advised only to bother itemising breakables like telly, glassware for this purpose as no point insuring boxes of books and bedding.

Guest cantwaittogo

Hi,

we had a quote yesterday from a company for a 40ft container -£6500 excluding insurance and approx $750 for AQIS plus any other for fumigation etc.

cheers

Tina

Hi there,

That price does seem good to tell you the truth as we had a part container with a car in it for around 4k. With the insurance we were able to change the end cost as we decided not to insure all the items we shipped as we did not think it was worth it. It may sound silly, but we decided we would but new stuff if anything happened and the insurance cost did not justify it. With regards to the inspection tax when your goods arrive in Australia, we were told by our shipping company, that this was just a rough estimate as they could not say for sure how much it was going to cost. The end cost will depend upon how detailed the inspection is and if anything is questioned or cleaned.

We went with Pickford's and the service was OK, not great. In saying that though it was the first time we had shipped stuff across the world, so not too sure what would of constituted to great. Some of the items were damaged on arrival in Oz though. A mirror broken and a few scratches on the car. They were good about this and did pay up quite quick. From what we heard though, all are pretty much the same. Good luck with who you go with.

We are using them as well, they was not as dear as a company called 'Atlantis' they are mainly Midlands and up North, Pickfords turned out to be the best. Ask your company, when your container arrivers in Oz do they transfer the contents into another container? Pickfords container is door-to-door!

Sorry to dissappoint but it definitely WON'T be the same container at the other end as they have to unpack it for inspection.

That's the same regardless of the company - although there's a vague chance it might be the same container, it's unlikely ;)

I've asked the Pickfords man and he says that customs go through all the containers, that means they take it out and it gets checked as ours will be as we have bouncy castles (used) which will be professionally cleaned and will have a safety certificate, they will still check it. I was told that there is a charge if the find anything, we are not taking mowers or garden equipment, and that's what they are looking for, and cob webs grass seed insects etc, but it all get put back in your container, hence 'door to door', I have checked, but I will ask the Pickford's that is in Australia that sent me a lovely letter and a contact number for information in the area we are going to. I'll get back to you if they tell me different.