How long does it take for a spousal visa to come through?

Tulip

We're thinking of emigrating next year after Crimbo next year, and I'm wondering how long in general it took everyone to get theirs. Also, my OH (the Aussie) said we can apply for it whilst in Australia? If so, does one get the visitor visa first? It would just save us about $1000 so would like to do this if we can.

An onshore Partner visa is more expensive than an offshore one ($2960 vs $1995) and the offshore should be granted a month or so faster. If you enter on a Tourist visa with the intention of then applying for a Partner visa, that is actually a misuse of a Tourist visa and it's possible you may be denied entry if immigration know that's your intention. On the other hand, if you tell fibs about why you're coming on a TV, that could adversely affect your Partner visa application. Many people do it that way and get away with it, but some don't.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Tulip.

Its $1995 off shore and as you would be entering Australia on a tourist visa it would cost $2960 on shore .

It takes around 6 to 8 months to get the visa,

Guest SarahA

:notworthy:Hi, I think it depends how backlogged they are on how long it takes to get your Spouse Visa. I went through an agent (Visa Bureau) who were really helpful and I was assigned a case worker who told me the best evidence and documents to submit, gave us examples of what to put in our personal statements, etc and they checked through everything before they submitted it for me, although they obviously charge a fee. I found it takes longer getting all the paperwork together more than the time its takes to be granted! Visa Bureau lodged my visa in September last year and I had the call on New Year's Eve that it was granted and I could enter the country at any time. One thing I would say is that I would do your medical checks and police checks as one of the last things that you do as your initial entry date will depend on this and they are only valid for a year and from my experience it was really quick to do, but we then had to get the rest of the docs together and wait for certified statements from friends in Australia afterwards, etc. It worked out we had to enter the country by 28th June 2011 which wasn't ideal for us as we have arrived in the middle of winter (24th June) from Manchester which has just had a mini heatwave apparently!

Good luck with everything!

Sarah x