Cost effective Cars?

Guest Jamie Hunter

Guest Jamie Hunter

Hey Folks,

Just arrived two days ago and already wanting to buy a good second hand car.... but on a budget. I've scoured the carsales.com.au site but the big question for me is not how cheap the car is now but how much will it cost to run.

Any advice and which cars are easily maintained with affordable parts, insurance etc?

Budget $5000-$6000

Guest The Pom Queen

Toyotas are good cars but getting one on your budget may be hard, how about a Holden Barina, you should be able to pick up a 2005 model. Also you could look at the Getz

Toyotas have the reputation of going for ages if they are properly maintained. Also parts are easily available and economical.

My daughter just bought a 2000 Toyota Camry in very good condition for $3,800 here in Hobart (usually more expensive for 2nd hand cars than the larger cities) so you could probably get a smaller Toyota within your budget if you search around.

Guest Jamie Hunter

Got a KIA Rio, 2004 for a good price. Didn't want to risk an older car to reduce likelihood of unwanted maintenance etc

Insurance is next thing to look at!

Gday, Gary here, expat - 22 years, ex Leeds. Well for that much money you are buying on the low side, so i would tend to look for something that is not going to break down, ideally.

Toyota's are expensive but damn realiable, parts a bit exy but reliable cars. for that much money and the type of driving we do here and the KLM's i would stick to a six cylinder, cant go past a Ford Falcon or a Holden commadore. Parts cheap, available in any chemist literally, common cars and super relaible. So my advice is: 1> Falcon or a Commadore 2> join RACQ. 3> before you buy pay the RACQ to do an inspection ( its like the AA in the uk).

Happy driving bud.

Gary

Falcon.

You should find some 2006 model with less than 140000km for that price.

Mine was a 2008 model and we paid it 8700 (in mildura)

Guest sh7t man no way

have to agree with most posts on here--toyota for me--theres places where you can rent a wreck--might give you a bit more time to get a better deal--rent a wreck is just a cheap car hire place