Should I tell my new employers?

otsmith1

Hello to all, I'm hoping some of you guys can advise on what must be a common dilemma...

I'm in the very early stages of a move to Oz, currently in the process of putting together my RPL skills assessment documents together for the ACS.

I start a new job here in the UK Sept 1st, and the simple question is should I tell them before I start that I'm embarking on this process? I'm signing the contract in the next couple of days.

By the time I start, I hope my skills assessment documents will be lodged with the ACS and the process will be underway.

But as it's still very early days, my skills assessment is not even ready at the moment yet let alone approved, plus the amount of time it's going to take dependent on whether I go for a 175 or 176 down the line, so should I even mention it to them?

It seems like "the right thing to do" to tell them now but I also don't want to spook them before I've even started working for them. Especially as me leaving to take up any future Visa offer is some time away, plus of course we may not actually be successful in getting a Visa!

So, should I be upfront and honest and tell them this is what I'm planning for my future or just wait to see if I'm successful some months/years down the line and tell them then?

I want to have a good relationship with my new colleagues and don't want to be sitting on some kind of a 'secret plan' in the background. It would be nice to share :-)

My worry is if I withhold this now, as well as not being able to talk to anyone about it, I'm running the risk of really p****ng them off when I roll in one morning and announce my Visa has been approved. A Visa they didn't even know I was applying for!

If I tell them now and emphasize the fact that it's by no means guaranteed and very early days, even through I'm running an immediate risk of putting them off, my conscious will be clear and couldn't be accused of holding anything back.

What did you guys do? :spinny:

I wouldn't tell them - the job might disappear or your role downgraded if your perceived to be only there for the shorthall. We know what you're trying to do but who knows what will happen in the future? You might need that job long term even if you'd rather be in Australia.

Once you've started you can mention to your colleagues that you're looking in to it - that way it won't come as such a shock later. Even if you get your visa within 12 months it's not compulsory to move immediately - if it turns out to be a really good job you could be there a few years regardless.

Don't tell them yet. You have to remember that jobs these days are generally not jobs for life. And whilst its nice to be able to share plans with your colleagues its probably best not to, you may find they will treat you differently.

I handed my one months notice in last week, having kept everything very quiet over the last few months. It was exceptionally difficult to keep it all quiet but many of my friends work here too, so I couldn't tell them either, just in case it all went wrong. But having handed my notice in, my bosses were very understanding and wish me all the best, even though finding people with my qualifications and experience is like finding hens teeth!

Wow, so many replies so quickly thanks.

That all sounds like good advice but I feel like I'm being dishonest not saying anything. That said, my application may not be successful and I don't want to risk this job for something that may never happen :-/

Re timescales, no the contract is not for any particular length of time. All being well, I'll have my positive skills assessment by Christmas and then go into the new year choosing between a 175 or 176.

I want my kids to finish this upcoming school year so the earliest I could possibly see us moving is next summer on a 176 or maybe the summer afterwards on a 175. Do those timescales look realistic do you think?

I wouldnt say anything.

I was in the same position a few years ago, I had contacted my old employer in Oz about getting sponsored on 457 visa. But I wasnt sure if it would be successful or how long it would take. I needed to get a job here at the interview I had spoke about travelling and the work that I did in Oz. They asked at the interview if I had any intention of going back as people who have been travelling often dont settle.

I said that I had no plans and really wanted to work etc.

4 months later my visa came through and I had to hand in my notice, they weren't to happy but they were ok about it. Few years later when I came back to UK they contacted me asking if I was looking for work, so they obviously werent to annoyed about it if they wanted me back.

I suppose in the end of the day you could get another job offer and leave the job anyway.

Remember you have 1 year from the dates of medicals or PCC (whichever earliest) to get your visa activated. So you could just go on a holiday.

From the timelines on here 176 visa are being granted roughly about 2 months after applying. 175 are cat 4 so will take alot longer.

My opinion is that I'd not say anything. You've no legal obligation to do so and the moral one is debatable. Even if you apply for a visa now, get one within a few months it could still be many more months (or even years) before you actually make the move and leave the job. I'd tell them if and when you are close to actually moving and planning on handing in your notice. That could be 6 months from but could be 2 years or more down the road. Just because you get a visa doesn't mean you are going a month later. You've time on your side, use it wisely and don't burn bridges before you start. A lot can happen between applying for a visa and actually making the move and ending up in Australia.

If you are only obliged in the terms of the contract to give them x amount of weeks/months notice, that is all I'd give them, possibly a bit more, depending on the job. I've stayed in some jobs for a number of years, others only 6 months but leaving is never an issue if you go through the process properly and don't fall out with them prior to going.

Telling them you are going through the process of applying for a visa might be nice, in a sharing way with your colleagues, but it won't help them any if they think you'll be off once you've been approved. I'd keep quiet and share with trusted friends outside of work as and when you need or want to.

Guest jmahood
Wow, so many replies so quickly thanks.

That all sounds like good advice but I feel like I'm being dishonest not saying anything. That said, my application may not be successful and I don't want to risk this job for something that may never happen :-/

Re timescales, no the contract is not for any particular length of time. All being well, I'll have my positive skills assessment by Christmas and then go into the new year choosing between a 175 or 176.

I want my kids to finish this upcoming school year so the earliest I could possibly see us moving is next summer on a 176 or maybe the summer afterwards on a 175. Do those timescales look realistic do you think?

OTSmith I admire your conscience however from a HR perspective your future plans are none of your employers business. You are not morally or legally obligated to inform them that in a few years down the line you may or may not relocate to Australia. Also by advising your employer now at this early stage may result in them withdrawing their job offer as you have not signed the contract and/or affect your career progression within that organisation. You also have to consider would happen if you don't go to Australia. Enjoy your job but keep your private life private. All the best :biggrin:

I wouldnt say anything either.

I am a childminder and I havent told the parents of the children I care for because I think it would make them panic and look else where for their childcare and I need to work for as long as possible to save money for our move to Oz.

its quite hard not to talk about it because I have become good friends with most of the parents and almost feel like I am decieving them!! but I have to think about our situation and if they were to take the children elsewhere I would be left with no income.

Also if they needed to remove their children from my care for any reason I am sure that they would only give the contracted notice period.

I wouldn't tell them. None of their business really. Wouldn't mention it to my workmates either, unless it's someone you really trust. They have ways of making work not a nice place to be. They wouldn't think of telling you if there was a chance of the place closing down in the next couple of months, they would take you on and lay you off with no regrets.

Keep it to yourself until you have the visa. It might never happen, like you say.

Hi

Don't tell them

Also its really nice having people who don't know your plans, and are not asking how you are getting on. It will become a little escape from the visa process!!

Sarah

Guest robnnic

Hi,

I wouldn't say anything, to anyone. I have friends at work, however i know if jobs were going to be lost, they would be quick to tell management ofmy intentions so they wouldn't keep me on....so on that front no one knows....gonna be difficult cos we are putting house on market soon.

However, When your applying for your Visa do you not need a professional reference??? I think you will need references for the amount of years of employment you are claiming for.

Hope this helps

Nic

Guest Martin7032

I started the process in January, got my Visa (176) approved this week, and have no intention of telling anybody within my company until its time to hand my notice in. Why give your employer the opportunity to fire you when they are ready, rather than when you are?