You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest wwnde

How do I land a job while still abroad? Any experiences?

Guest wwnde

I have seven years experience as a spatial scientist. I was granted a pr in june and plan to arrive in Australia in December. I have tried applying for jobs and apart from two recruitmentt agencies who want me to notify them a couple of weeks before I arrive no employer has ever come back to me. Will I be more easily accepted if I apply for trainee positions? Must I arrive in Australia first for me to get a job? What works?.... making calls, sending resumes or phisically visiting potential employers? Any experiences?

Seek

Thats what worked for me.. I'm an Environmental Scientist..

put my profile on Seek.. had people ask to see my CV.. one of them liked what they saw.. 2 telephone interviews later.. a job offer was made.

Once you get here ( I'm in Perth) then... certainly in my field, you get offers comming out of the woodwork ( i have had another request today to speak to someone...:wink:)

I wasnt asked to take a grade cut.. still working at a similar level..but i suspect that i might have had to consider it if i was on a more tight deadline

hope it all works out

Six it

Guest wwnde
Seek

put my profile on Seek.. had people ask to see my CV.. one of them liked what they saw.. 2 telephone interviews later.. a job offer was made.

Once you get here ( I'm in Perth) then... certainly in my field, you get offers comming out of the woodwork ( i have had another request today to speak to someone...:wink:)

I wasnt asked to take a grade cut.. still working at a similar level..but i suspect that i might have had to consider it if i was on a more tight deadline

hope it all works out

Six it

thanks

From our experience it it really hard to get anywhere with companies in Australia when you are still in the UK. This is more the case with agencies, they do not seem to even want to know you until you are there on the ground. This is probably as they will need you to go for face to face interviews with prospective clients. We did suggest sykpe with cam calls, but they did not go for that.

We found the best thing was to find a contact and then get your name around that way. We were lucky as we had a contact through a friend who had worked here and they were able to pass our CV on and start the ball rolling. Without that, it would have been a hell of a game. Also think that companies have so many people contact them now, they can be a bit choosy and only follow up people who are there and close. Also some companies see it as that you are not in the country yet, so you could turn around and back out and waste their time and money. Not that it would be a case as most people applying for jobs have already decided that they are going to move and passed the stage of backing out.

Family of five now with our one son living in the UK

Guest wwnde
From our experience it it really hard to get anywhere with companies in Australia when you are still in the UK. This is more the case with agencies, they do not seem to even want to know you until you are there on the ground. This is probably as they will need you to go for face to face interviews with prospective clients. We did suggest sykpe with cam calls, but they did not go for that.

We found the best thing was to find a contact and then get your name around that way. We were lucky as we had a contact through a friend who had worked here and they were able to pass our CV on and start the ball rolling. Without that, it would have been a hell of a game. Also think that companies have so many people contact them now, they can be a bit choosy and only follow up people who are there and close. Also some companies see it as that you are not in the country yet, so you could turn around and back out and waste their time and money. Not that it would be a case as most people applying for jobs have already decided that they are going to move and passed the stage of backing out.

Thanks Phil and Vikki. Good infromation

Seek

hope it all works out

Six it

Your post inspired me to get my details on seek - just done it. Posted my more 'generic' CV and filled in all the required info, it didn't take too long. It's great as it gives you a chance to say what you want and don't want - I specified no sales or call centre work! Heheh. I put available from 14 November - it's a while off but may as well get in early!

She'll be right!

Guest wwnde

I did the post my details on. Thanks Phil and Vikki for the information. How often does it work when you have your career details on seek, any one knows?