What can you fit into a 20 foot container along with your car? Also what prices?

robbothejoiner

Looking to ship my Rover 75 over. It only got 45000 miles on clock so would do as a starter for Australia. What else can I fit into a 20 foot container along with it. I realise nothing can go inside the car. We are not looking to take lots. Electrical goods, excess baggage, toys and tools for example. All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Guest b3njam1n0
I realise nothing can go inside the car.

I haven't done mucgh research on this but one website I checked out (Anglo Pacific i think) said you CAN put items in the luggage and passenger spaces, provided it is neatly boxed for Customs to remove and examine, and it does not obstruct the drivers view.

Hope I'm right as it would save a lot of packing space....

Looking to ship my Rover 75 over. It only got 45000 miles on clock so would do as a starter for Australia. What else can I fit into a 20 foot container along with it. I realise nothing can go inside the car. We are not looking to take lots. Electrical goods, excess baggage, toys and tools for example. All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Hiya,

We are in the process of getting quotes for this. I am surprised actually how much stuff we can get in alongside the car. One shipping company said we can fill the car, the other said no we can't!

We are taking a mercerdes c class, they can build a bonnet shelf to store above it.

Taking bedroom furniture from 2 rooms, all kitchen crockery, tumble drier, two

tvs. Bedding, tent and tent stuff kids bike.

Approx 4,200 excluding insurance and charge at port of extra 450 dollars.

still waiting forother quote.

Hope this helps,

Donna x

I never thought about putting my car in the container with my stuff. I was just going to sell it as I had read on here (somewhere) that it costs £6k to transport your car (and that is about what it is worth). Are there any other costs associated with importing a car? e.g registration in Oz or something?

Also, does anyone know if you can get part containers or share one if you don't hink you will fill it? (with furniture I mean)!

Thanks

Sara

I never thought about putting my car in the container with my stuff. I was just going to sell it as I had read on here (somewhere) that it costs £6k to transport your car (and that is about what it is worth). Are there any other costs associated with importing a car? e.g registration in Oz or something?

Also, does anyone know if you can get part containers or share one if you don't hink you will fill it? (with furniture I mean)!

Thanks

Sara

There are lots of added costs on top of shipping the car. It depends on the cars value in australia. there is a good thread on here from Iron Chef.

If your ar and things don't all fit you can share a part of a container with someone else. Also the option of a 40ft container.

Guest Carly87

We looked at taking our car but decided it wasnt worth it as there were various costs involved other than the shipping like applying for import, customs when u get there and registration in oz. But yeh u can put stuff in boot and on seats except the drivers seat and aslong as nothing is higher than window height!

I thought that might be the case - that there would be other stuff to pay when you got there with a car. It's probably not worth it unless the car is worth lots!! I have also heard different stories about cars being a lot more expensive in Oz than the UK - anyone know if that is true?

Guest Carly87

We have been looking at cars online over there and dont seem to be too bad for a good used car! Theres not as much choice though as over here, and alot are automatic!

Also to take ur car over u have to keep it for 12 months when your there before u sell it, so if u get bored with it or something goes wrong your stuck!

I thought that might be the case - that there would be other stuff to pay when you got there with a car. It's probably not worth it unless the car is worth lots!! I have also heard different stories about cars being a lot more expensive in Oz than the UK - anyone know if that is true?

Iron chef on the forum can give you an idea if it is worth shipping. I believe that cars are expensive there, and the germans esp.

My husband really loves cars, so this is kind of his thing, organising the car to ship.

I think alot of people feel it is alot of hassle and work when it is only a car. Depends if it makes finiancial sense I guess. Apparently us taking ours does! Or so I am being lead to believe by my husband!!!

That's the thing. My car is not worth much but is a good car. With nopt a lot of milage. To sell it here (UK) you'd be very lucky to get a couple of grand for it. To buy something in Australia is looking like costing a right few quid. We won't have a credit history so will not be able to purchase from a dealer. My thinking is if I can squeeze the car and removal costs together it might be worth while. Just need some info on the "extra charges" import, etc when in Australia. Or a good website for used cars in Perth.

Cheers

That's the thing. My car is not worth much but is a good car. With nopt a lot of milage. To sell it here (UK) you'd be very lucky to get a couple of grand for it. To buy something in Australia is looking like costing a right few quid. We won't have a credit history so will not be able to purchase from a dealer. My thinking is if I can squeeze the car and removal costs together it might be worth while. Just need some info on the "extra charges" import, etc when in Australia. Or a good website for used cars in Perth.

Cheers

Car finance is not hard to get. I think it's been said before on here, but no credit history is better out here!

I've only been in work three weeks (not even been paid) yet when I spoke to NAB I was able to apply for a credit card and a car loan. Didn't go over the top with either kept limits quite low, but still able to buy a 25k car.

As long as you are employed, have an OZ driving licence and a 12month lease the banks are very supportive.

Car finance is not hard to get. I think it's been said before on here, but no credit history is better out here!

I've only been in work three weeks (not even been paid) yet when I spoke to NAB I was able to apply for a credit card and a car loan. Didn't go over the top with either kept limits quite low, but still able to buy a 25k car.

As long as you are employed, have an OZ driving licence and a 12month lease the banks are very supportive.

What do you have to do to get an Oz licence? Never thought of that!

As a PR you have to change licence within 3months (temps have different rules) but from what I've found the driving licence is the most important piece of ID you can have.

I got turned down for everything when I got here, Internet, mobiles, etc. Second I got licence I was deemed credit worthy. It even got me airside at Sydney airport yesterday, was wandering around the taxi ways and runway for a few hours and all they asked for was my driving licence. Had my passport but that didn't count.

As a PR you have to change licence within 3months (temps have different rules) but from what I've found the driving licence is the most important piece of ID you can have.

I got turned down for everything when I got here, Internet, mobiles, etc. Second I got licence I was deemed credit worthy. It even got me airside at Sydney airport yesterday, was wandering around the taxi ways and runway for a few hours and all they asked for was my driving licence. Had my passport but that didn't count.

So what do you do -send off your UK one? Do you need to take a test?

No, just wander into an RTA centre, fill in form, show stamped passport, proof of home address (utility bill or orig tenancy agreement) take a 1 sec eye test and let them take a photo. You have to pay between 50 and 140 dollars depending on whether u want a 1,3 or 5 year licence.

Then u wait 5mins and they give u a licence and you keep your uk licence. Also, they only look at the plastic card, don't bother with the paper section.

Might be different in other states, when I enquired in Adelaide, you got a temp licence on the day and the full one a few days later.