You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

robbothejoiner

House and land packages / deals. What's the snag?

Hi, what's the deal with house and land packages in Australia. Some of the deals look just as good and sometimes better than buying existing housing stock. I am again missing an obvious catch. What is it? Any info on the house buying market welcomed. Eg. Mortgages for immigrants etc.

Thanks

The catch is that the price quoted is for the basic shell of the house, no floors or fittings, with the cheapest materials etc, and no work on the garden.

By the time you've upgraded to the nicer roof material, sorted out all the floors and fittings etc, added some form of insulation and heat/cooling system, and had the garden landscaped etc, you're looking at significantly more money.

That said, it can work out well financially anyway, and you do get what you wanted, but you do have to read the small print, and take into account all those extras you'll have to pay for to make the house habitable.

• Like 1

Guest Guest16631

...........................there are some worthwhile deals............................if the 'bones' of the house are sound.....................the rest can be added as you can afford it...................its a cheap way of getting on the houseing ladder sometimes.......................I have turned a bare garden into a very pleasent one for little money.....................buying at markets and cuttings from friends......................and makeing my own window coverings....................I bought ceiling fans in sales for less than half original cost............................then only had instilation....................then hopefully market willing ....................you can sell at a profit and move up the property ladder......................!

I assume you're a joiner, so are a good DIYer. How about becoming an owner/builder to build your own house. I can suggest a build method that would be right up your street !

Certainly something we will look at after doing a self build here a few years back.

Justin

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

There are some excellent deals in new areas. The developers don't want the new developments to stand empty very long and are prepared to give a good price to get people in and make it look like a desirable area. They can put their "Hurry 10 sold already" signs up then.

When they start on new developments here they have a tendency to just rip out the vegetation so the whole area looks like a sand blown desert, not at all appealing.