Office Manager- what qualifications?

Guest anghay

Guest anghay

Hi, we would like to try to apply for a state sponsorship under GSM. I have 45 points alone and need 65. I am going to sit the IELTS test to try to get band 8 which will get me the 20 points i need- urgh- quite hard. However, if I get band 7 I will get 10 points and then I will only need 10. Want to try to get a state nomination which will give me 5 then need 5 from my partners skill. He is a very experienced office manager but has no 'formal certificate ' as such. does anyone out there know exactly what VETASSESS will ask for if we aply to try to get his quals assessed? Thank you- appreciate any help I can get with this one!!x

Office Manager is classified by VETASSESS as a Group C Occupation and the stated required qualifications are:

A qualification assessed at AQF Diploma/AQF Advanced Diploma/Australian Associate Degree level. with a highly relevant major and at least one year of highly relevant employment to the nominated occupation, completed at an appropriate skill level in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment.

Or

A qualification assessed at AQF Diploma/AQF Advanced Diploma/Australian Associate Degree level. without a highly relevant major and at least two years of highly relevant employment to the nominated occupation, completed at an appropriate skill level in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm#CGroup

According to posts I've seen on PIO, I think they're quite strict about qualifications meetintg their stated requirements.

My husband is a very experienced Office Manager but no relevant qualification. He got in touch with a company in Hobart, Academy 3, who assess according to Recognition of Prior Learning and they were able to assess him for an AQF Diploma in Management. It cost $750 and with a lot of hard work in a short space of time, managed to get it in just over two weeks. He had to answer paper questions and do a telephone interview for about an hour. THis was all he then needed for his skills assessment with Vetassess.

Academy 3 were brill and well worth a recommendation

Guest anghay

Thank you everyone for your advice. Pete- Yes going to try to get all 8s in IELTs if I can but dont know if I'm that clever!!the whites- Do you have an address for Academy 3 please?x

Thank you everyone for your advice. Pete- Yes going to try to get all 8s in IELTs if I can but dont know if I'm that clever!!the whites- Do you have an address for Academy 3 please?x

I booked 3 tests in a row because I was about to hit an age limit, managed to crack it on the second. Don't be put off if you don't get it first time, some days the questions just click, and some days they don't. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I just mentioned repeating IELTS because it took me 3 weeks of slog to put my skills assessment together, but no effort to go and sit the IELTS a second time.

I put some pointers in this thread, hope they help.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/121045-daft-question-about-ielts.html

Cheers

P

Guest anghay

Thank you, those pointers are really helpful. Just got my positive skills assessment back today from AITSL so that's a step in the right direction. Have been trying some practise tests online and have ordered some practise materials from Cambridge UP. It's the speaking part which terrifies me the most as I sometimes lose confidence in formal test situations and I am frightened I start pausing etc!!

But hey, you never know!! Thank you so much for your advice.

Ang

Guest anghay

Also, I was wondering if on the Reading test, are you allowed to make notes before you choose your final answer? - Particularly for the passages where you are required to choose a letter which best describes the content of the passage, I find if I write quick notes with the main points of each passage as I read them, then this normally means I can use these notes to determine quickly which letter best suits. Do you get paper to write notes on? thanks ang

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Am new to this forum.. so bear with me....

I contacted Academy 3, they are extremely helpful, it's amazing what agents don't tell you! Anyway, I myself am in a similar situation, I am not able to retrieve my qualifications certs as they were lost in transit years ago and no data is kept on file for longer than 5 year :-(

Anyway, as I understood from reading your thread, did your husband then apply for 'Office Manger' under what visa option to which did you apply?

Any help would do as I am about to take my IELTS next weekend and then I want to send off paperwork to have skills assessed by Vetasses.

Thank-you!

Appreciate any help...

:-)

Hi there,

Am new to this forum.. so bear with me....

I contacted Academy 3, they are extremely helpful, it's amazing what agents don't tell you! Anyway, I myself am in a similar situation, I am not able to retrieve my qualifications certs as they were lost in transit years ago and no data is kept on file for longer than 5 year :-(

Anyway, as I understood from reading your thread, did your husband then apply for 'Office Manger' under what visa option to which did you apply?

Any help would do as I am about to take my IELTS next weekend and then I want to send off paperwork to have skills assessed by Vetasses.

Thank-you!

Appreciate any help...

:-)

Hi there. Yes, my husband was successfully assessed by Vetassess with the qualification from Academy 3 and submitted a visa application for an ENS 121 offshore visa for permanent residency. Not been finalised yet, but hope to hear in the next week or so.

thewhites

Hello, me again - just a question really - at any time when filling out forms, was your husband asked how did he gain the Diploma of Management? Just want to check as I did a self assessment yesterday and included this in it, and had an agent ask me how long did I study for?

thanks again for you help

:biggrin:

Your registered migration agent must keep your records for 7 years. I have had clients approach me after longer than that for a copy of a document.

thewhites

Hello, me again - just a question really - at any time when filling out forms, was your husband asked how did he gain the Diploma of Management? Just want to check as I did a self assessment yesterday and included this in it, and had an agent ask me how long did I study for?

thanks again for you help

:biggrin:

Yes, he filled in the form stating that he gained it from Academy 3 in a four week period and had no problem. I assume they realised it was for recognition of prior learning. He also submitted the official diploma certificate.

• 3 months later...
Guest DevontoOz
My husband is a very experienced Office Manager but no relevant qualification. He got in touch with a company in Hobart, Academy 3, who assess according to Recognition of Prior Learning and they were able to assess him for an AQF Diploma in Management. It cost $750 and with a lot of hard work in a short space of time, managed to get it in just over two weeks. He had to answer paper questions and do a telephone interview for about an hour. THis was all he then needed for his skills assessment with Vetassess.

Academy 3 were brill and well worth a recommendation

Hiya

Would you be able to tell me more about Academy 3? What kind of information did they need from you?

Thanks

Gemma

Hiya

Would you be able to tell me more about Academy 3? What kind of information did they need from you?

Thanks

Gemma

Hi Gemma

My husband spoke to them first and they outlined the requirements. They then sent him a pack of questions within the core modules that he had chosen and he had to submit written answers to them. Thse were then read by the Assessor and followed up finally with a telephone "interview" which lasted about an hour and a half.

Some of the modules he did were:

Manage Customer Service

Manage People Performance

Identify and sell more to your most valuable customers.

Each of these modules have a number of questions under them. Some you wont have to answer if you have provided sufficient evidence to show you do that job.

But you can choose your modules from a list - pick the ones that are as close to your job as possible. Then its lots of trawling on the internet to help with the answers.

Good luck

• 3 months later...