Has anyone sent a rabbit to Australia?

HoneyandTimmy

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi honey and timmy, unfortunately shipping rabbits is not possible, also you will find that in some states rabbits are illegal to own :(

I know you can have them in Victoria but not Queensland. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You could consider getting him an exotic pet or G Pig.

Guest guest37336

Hi folks.

Like Kate says, it isn't possible to ship them over unfortunately. Australia has some of the strictest and adhered to laws concerning animals in the world, (import/export) and I must say for the most part they are correct and only right.

I'm sure a rabbit rehoming centre will be more than welcome to take them before you go, there are many in the UK.

In the meantime get your littleun interested in the wildlife of Australia, both furry, scaly, and toothy. Whilst he will miss his rabbits the plethora of animals to buy and care for in OZ will soon enough make him feel better.

It is truly one aspect of Australia that is unique and caters for most tastes.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Some live rabbits can be imported into Australia from UK and some European countries, see

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8902059&intCommodityId=7492&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

where they talk about the import permit fee.

This is the contact details they give:

Condition C9324

For information relating to the importation of rabbits contact AQIS Canberra on:

Phone: +61 (0)2 6272 4454

Fax: +61 (0)2 6272 3110

Email: animalimp@aqis.gov.au

There are exotic breeds of rabbits here so some must be permitted entry - maybe you have to be a licenced breeder? Anyway, worth checking with the Australian Quarantine Service above.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest casobelle

I was hoping we'd be able to take our rabbit with us to Aus but reading these posts I can see it won't be possible :-( My daughter will be disappointed. Luckily we know someone who will look after him very well.

Guest The Pom Queen
I was hoping we'd be able to take our rabbit with us to Aus but reading these posts I can see it won't be possible :-( My daughter will be disappointed. Luckily we know someone who will look after him very well.

I'm sorry, we had the same moving from Melbourne to Queensland, we left our little boy with a fellow PIO member and my son still grieves despite having his chickens, dogs and lorries.

• 2 months later...
Guest Chester48

Beware draconian laws in many states on pets and huge numbers killed, not great pet culture here I have beeb doing animal rescue for 30 years came to Oz 1971 animal cruelty spoils the place. In Queensland rabbits been banned several years ago 30,000 dollar fine for owning one, caused thousands to die. now my daughter, born in Oz wants to move to UK at last I can return. My friends in Uk still just as wonderful and close thank goodness. Most English end up doing some animal rescue or volunteering when they see how bad it is or just end up with many animals. Brits the best pet owners

Australia is not very anti pet. In fact, in the last statistics I saw, 64% of Australian households had a pet, compared to 50% in the UK. And Australia had the highest ownership of dogs in the world with 40% of households owing one or more dogs. I agree that not all owners or people in general are as responsible or as caring as they should be, but then that occurs in every society.

Beware draconian laws in many states on pets and huge numbers killed, not great pet culture here I have beeb doing animal rescue for 30 years came to Oz 1971 animal cruelty spoils the place. In Queensland rabbits been banned several years ago 30,000 dollar fine for owning one, caused thousands to die. now my daughter, born in Oz wants to move to UK at last I can return. My friends in Uk still just as wonderful and close thank goodness. Most English end up doing some animal rescue or volunteering when they see how bad it is or just end up with many animals. Brits the best pet owners

the laws for feral animals are not draconian ,the damage done by rabbits is tremendous and is detrimental to a lot of native species,and contributes to soil erosion,this might be ok in europe but the nature of this country is not condusive because of the arid conditions. millions were exterminated in the 30s 40s 50s but still are a nuisance hence myxamatosis and just lately a flu type virus was introduced in aus and nz to keep the rabbit population down.

Rabbits are a nuisance and vermin and we have to keep them under control hence "The rabbit proof fence".

Feral pigs are another problem we have here, they are very very dangerous and very very destructive.

I am an animal lover and I find most Australians are very good with animals, however they do not forget that they are animals, "not humans" and an animal treat in the way it should be is much happier.

Guest Guest31881

I have read a lot of posts on PIO that just exaggerate situations, I have read posts where the poster passes their feelings off as fact. I have read some anti Australia or UK posts that are just full of hate with no reasoning behind them other than a bitter and or twisted sense of revenge. I think this is the first time I have read a post with everything in it.

Most Australians I know own at least one dog or cat, quite often its more.

Draconian laws.........
No they have laws to protect the local wild life. mainly keeping pets on your own property or a curfew at night to stop pets killing wild life.

Rabbits are suspected of being the most significant known factor in species loss in Australia. The amount of plants that have disappeared because of rabbits is still being calculated, also wildlife in danger because the rabbits have eaten the local wildlife's food supply. Rabbits often kill young trees in orchards, forests and on properties by stripping the bark. they are to blame for soil erosion by eating the plants and leaving the top soil open to erosion.

Most English end up doing rescue work
........ I know of two, both working for Australian rescue centers.
Brits the best pet owners..
... Most are excellent but when you go back to the UK remember to look for the illegal dog fights,

The RSPCA in the UK is very busy, if it was a pet utopia then they would be out of work.

... Most are excellent but when you go back to the UK remember to look for the illegal dog fights,

The RSPCA in the UK is very busy, if it was a pet utopia then they would be out of work.

I think the most stomach churning documentary I've ever seen on TV was about a couple who went undercover to expose organised dog fighting in the UK. Nauseating behaviour by the dog fighters but amazing courage by the undercover reporters.

Brits the best pet owners

That's a bit of a crock. Some people make great pet owners. Others don't. Period. Anywhere in the world. Different cultures treat their 'pets' differently also.

I volunteer for a number of animal rescues here in the UK and hands down, some of the cruelty and abuse that animals have suffered is unbelievable. Shocking. The people that did this, Brits.

Yes we may have this appearance and reputation for our kindness to animals but there is very much another side to the coin and its is dark and depressing and soul destroying when you see it day in day out. More and more dogs are being dumped, handed in to rescues and so on that ever before. And many of these dogs are not even a year old and their owner can no longer keep them for whatever reason. The idea of a dog being for life is fading fast these days sadly. Often its a pup is for 6 months till its no longer cute or we get bored of it and then its passed on the someone else. One pup I took in had had 5 homes before she was 6 months old. 5. The most important months of a dogs life, where its develops and learns about the world, nothing more than a blur of being passed from pillar to post and not knowing what was what.

The cases of animal cruelty reported in the press, court cases and the like, are staggering. Illegal dog fights are on the rise and more and more dogs are being stolen from families and owners, from their own gardens, cars and houses to be used as bait dogs for this. Usually mild mannered breeds or smaller dogs.

Then there are places like Gumtree. A breeding ground for all that is wrong with pet ownership these days. Anyone can breed a dog or pet regardless of its type, health, temperament and so on and sell them for a quick few £££ on Gumtree to any Tom Dick or Harry that shows up. Many puppy farm pups are sold this way to people who don't know or care enough to do proper research into buying a specific breed or invest time in ensuring they get a dog from somewhere decent. And where do those pups end up? Usually in a rescue within a year. Or as dog bait. Some are kept and loved but often these dogs have massive health problems and owners can't afford to foot the bill so hand them into rescues citing other reasons like moving house or a new baby or job. And then what? The rescue finds the dog actually has a heart condition which requires an op and a lifetime of medication. And who foots the bill for that? The rescues who are overrun with abandoned or stray dogs and cats coming in, the rescues who have to decide each week which dogs they can take from the pounds before they are put to sleep. Who try to hard to save as many as possible only to find that some of the most lovely dogs, through no fault of their own are not saved as there just simply isn't the room for them that week.

Yeah, don't get me started on Brits being the best owners. Some people are decent pet owners, but its not because they are British. Its because they are decent people. Generalising is far off the mark.