Small baby in temporary accommodation?

Guest nikola27

Guest nikola27

Hi all,

My husband, baby and I are hoping to fly to Melbourne in a couple of months, I'm already worrying about flying/temp. accomm with a 4-5month old. What did people do about a cot as don't really like the portacot/travel cots as the baby seems so far down in them and for 2-3mths till furniture comes it seems too long. Did anyone just buy a new cot/mattress etc upon arrival? Also how do babies seem to cope with jet lag...am I gonna be up all night? Does anyone have any recommendations for temp accomm, about $700 pw within 30mins of CBD? Corporatekeys looks most promising so far?

Many thanks!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nikola

You will find a lot of accommodation will offer you a travel cot, or you could go out and buy your own once you arrive but it may be a pain building it to dismantle it again.

To be honest the babies seem to cope well with the jet lag but I know the parents tend to struggle as when they want to sleep the baby/children are awake and vice versa.

$700 is a good price for a temp rental.

Kate

I saw a child about that age, or a bit older stay in one of the backpackers (with mum and dad of course). That was opposite Flinders st station and costed about $700pw (kitchen was crap though). The double room floor was quite nice, not very noisy like normal backpackers, but if there were couples you could hear them, nothing too bad though.

Have you considered co-sleeping?

I bought my cot off freecycle, they are offered quite a bit. Still need to buy a mattress though. It is free, usually the quality is ok to good (and jut say no to the crap, there is sometimes some crap).

You're baby will most likely get some sort of jetlag and so will your milk-supply if you breastfeed. I also heard of milk supply dwindeling with the flight, due to dehydration. It comes back, off course, with hydrating and plenty of nursing. I'd say, go with the flow those first days/week and you'll be fine. Melbourne is a nice place to be in, not very stressful, like a lot of other big cities.

Guest nikola27

Cheers for the info! Luckily the company is providing accomm for first two weeks and think will prob go out and buy a cot as don't like the idea of travel cot for too long...don't mind co sleeping a little but don't want him to get used to it for too long or we'll never get him out! Think am gonna try and encourage him to sleep as much as poss on plane and get a morning arrival at Melb so can try keep him awake all day as opposed to arr at night and him being wide awake. We shall see! So excited though that the disruption will all be worth it I'm sure!

ive dont the trip 2 times with my monsters , the youngest was 7 months the first time ... a few days before flying i started playing about with her sleeping patten .. so while we were on the plan then landed she was closere to melborn time . so less jet lag.. if that makes seance .

she coped well with the flight sleped when she was ment to , only issue i had was being woken by flight attentent to get her out of crib every tine we hit terblance . as she was a greedy kid every time she was moved she demamnded feeding lmao

ALSO YOU NEED TO PRE BOOK YOUR COT FOR BABY with the airline . and inform them if you are brest feeding so they can inshure they have enought water for you.

hubby just reminded me of the issues at check in we had , as we didnt pre book it so they tryed to split up the family.

hope that helps a little xx angela xx

Both my babies used a travel cot all the time - I never bought a proper cot. Mine was actually bigger than a normal cot and I quite liked that it was fabric and padded so no hard wood for them to bump their heads on.

Also if you ever plan on going on holiday / weekend away you're going to have to use a travel cot some times?

Anyway you can hire cots and baby car seats etc. from ABC Nursery Hire - they have branches all over - google them.

My kids are older (9 and 5), we stopped over in Singapore and they had no problem at all with jetlag. They slept a bit in the day and then went to sleep again at night - no problems. Me on the other hand - we've been in Oz a month and I still don't feel tired until 2am and then I can't get up in the morning...:arghh: