Flying with Emirates - any good???

Guest sudzy

Lets put it this way Jo & Jon, if the fares were 340 pounds return with BA I would give it some deep consideration:cute: :laugh:

For that price, I'd BYO bottled water, snacks and a nice salad to cope with the trauma :) Plus send an extra suitcase airfreight for the additional luggage allowance and make sure to remember my noise-cancelling headphones to hide the grumpiness.

In fact, I'd happily BYO wine for that price!

Guest siamsusie
For that price, I'd BYO bottled water, snacks and a nice salad to cope with the trauma :) Plus send an extra suitcase airfreight for the additional luggage allowance and make sure to remember my noise-cancelling headphones to hide the grumpiness.

In fact, I'd happily BYO wine for that price!

:laugh::laugh: you see how big hearted we are, versatile, and thoughtful!.. Water will come at a premium though buying it airside can cost a fortune:wink:

Guest siamsusie
But then there's me the hypocrite raving about Emirates and flying Singapore anyway!

What can I say, I like them too.....

:biglaugh: SA great .. a lovely airline.

So many airlines, so little time... the three of us (me, husband and the amazing Satchdog) are all flying with different airlines this time -

Me = Singapore (A380 all the way) 23/10

Satch = Qantas QF10 (A380) 17/10 (won't be able to comment on inflight service)

Jon = Etihad via Abu Dhabi 8/11 (first time we've used them, but heard good things!)

Knowing and reading about the strict drugs laws is probably why I will never fly with them or go via Dubai. Imagine being sent to prison for having a minute trace of cannabis in the tread of your shoe! You could walk down the street and possibly pick that up. Or in the back of a taxi. Doesn't mean you actually took the drug or are trying to smuggle it.

I boycott a couple of other places for various reasons/principles. Adding on Dubai.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Saudi Arabia (waaaaay more strict that UAE by a long way) and I spend A LOT of time in Dubai.

I'd just like to quash any fears anyone might have of all drug talk. If you have a prescription, they are not going to care unless it's a generally (i.e. world-wide) illegal drug (cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy etc ...). Most of the time, they won't even question the drugs if there are boxed and in foil wrappers. It's when you've got a bag of pills that they start getting a bit uppety.

I've been to Dubai with my various drugs more times than i'd like to remember and i've only been stopped once (I had a bag of Amitriptyline that I forgot about). If you can get them on prescription in the UK and you have a letter/official doc (get it in Arabic if possible, not essential though!) to say so, you won't even be troubled.

I would say this is best practise for when carrying drugs to any country ...

One last thing - if you get caught with a tiny bit of cannabis in your shoe then you'd be very unluckly to get caught (they don't use dogs) and if you did, I promise you that if you are calm, do what they say without a fuss and explain [calmly] when asked, you will be let go with nothing less than a smile, a handshake and well-wishes.

The people you read about in the papers are a) trying to sell a story and b) did something to attract attention/went bezerk when questioned - please don't believe the hype.

Dubai is a lovely place (it's a gets a little worse and more strict towards the North East but still very nice) and the people are brilliant. My girlfriend and I walk down the street holding hands, kiss in public, eat pork at designated restaurants, drink alcohol all over the city, wear shorts, short sleeves and we've never, ever been stopped (or even looked at funny by a UAE citizen). It's a very liberal place and you'd have to be pretty off the rails (or insulting to their religion) to end up in jail

Sorry to buck the trend but I don't like emirates or Dubai and would never fly with them again. We used them on our last trip to Aust and I'm struggling to find a positive apart from the complimentary buggy during the stop over. We had booked a child's seat for our daughter (24 hrs is too long with a toddler on your lap) but wanted to hold her during take off and landing - I had to ask 7 times for a baby lap belt before one was thrown at me, with no offer of guidance or assistance. The crew failed to check the cabin and overhead lockers prior to take off, there was chaos things flying out of the lockers, passengers with head injuries etc. Wasn't keen on Dubai airport, not sure why but felt incredibly uneasy. When we went to board the plane again we were told that our seats had been reassigned - end result our 9yo son sitting at one end of the plane and us at the other with a single passenger joining our row of four seats. Nobody from the airline got why this was a problem or why I wanted it changed. On the way back I had baby on lap for take off, 9yo next to me babies empty seat then hubby. A steward was walking the aisles giving kids hand puppets, I asked for my kids and he said no, apparently one was too young and the other too old. When I insisted they be given one, he grudgingly gave them and muttered "bloody single mothers".

Add to this the flights were so, so crowded there was no room anywhere it was an experience I won't be repeating :mad:

Can anyone tell me if I need to declare valium when stopping over at Dubai? I will be staying airside as the next flight is in a couple of hours so do I have to declare them or just have my doc's letter with me if they ask???

And I have a question about hand luggage!! How strict are Emirates about it?? The website says one piece and gives dimensions and weight restrictions. But are they up to Ryanair's standards of absolutely without any exception, just ONE piece of hand luggage??!! I'm taking a pretty hefty laptop in it's bag and it doesn't fit in my little hand luggage sized case so could I bring both?? Also have a shoulder bag but can stuff that in the case.

Any advice appreciated!

Can anyone tell me if I need to declare valium when stopping over at Dubai? I will be staying airside as the next flight is in a couple of hours so do I have to declare them or just have my doc's letter with me if they ask???

And I have a question about hand luggage!! How strict are Emirates about it?? The website says one piece and gives dimensions and weight restrictions. But are they up to Ryanair's standards of absolutely without any exception, just ONE piece of hand luggage??!! I'm taking a pretty hefty laptop in it's bag and it doesn't fit in my little hand luggage sized case so could I bring both?? Also have a shoulder bag but can stuff that in the case.

Any advice appreciated!

Emirates allow one piece of hand luggage and also a personal bag (laptop or camera or handbag). If you can get to Dubai with more than that then you'll be fine as it's check in that will question you. Staying airside means no additional emirates checks apart from at the gate.

If you're travelling with someone else, you could give them the extra bag if possible

Emirates allow one piece of hand luggage and also a personal bag (laptop or camera or handbag). If you can get to Dubai with more than that then you'll be fine as it's check in that will question you. Staying airside means no additional emirates checks apart from at the gate.

If you're travelling with someone else, you could give them the extra bag if possible

Great! Thanks for the super quick reply! mr. sudzy will have his small case and a laptop bag too probably. I'll get my shoulderbag into my case and then just have the laptop bag and the wheelie case.

But in Dubai, will I have to go through any customs or security?? I'm a little nervous about having the valium. I do have the doc's letter but do I need to actually declare them at all? Or because I'm staying airside do I not go through any customs or security checks?

....sorry for being so neurotic and probably a bit stupid too!!!

sudzy - I'd imagine you'll go through security checks as you will be boarding another flight onwards. I've yet to catch a connecting flight where they don't scan your bags etc before boarding.

I would think a Doctor's note would be sufficient. Was there nothing in this thread that clarified it for you one way or the other. If in doubt, contact the airline/airport direct (they will both have websites).

Great! Thanks for the super quick reply! mr. sudzy will have his small case and a laptop bag too probably. I'll get my shoulderbag into my case and then just have the laptop bag and the wheelie case.

But in Dubai, will I have to go through any customs or security?? I'm a little nervous about having the valium. I do have the doc's letter but do I need to actually declare them at all? Or because I'm staying airside do I not go through any customs or security checks?

....sorry for being so neurotic and probably a bit stupid too!!!

You will go through the bag scan and will still have to remove any lap from it's containing bag.

Wrt the valium, I would stay quiet and if asked, present your letter. I've never carried Valium through and I don't know the legal status but if you've got a letter and seeing as it's not an illegal drug anywhere, you'll be fine.

You will go through the bag scan and will still have to remove any lap from it's containing bag.

Wrt the valium, I would stay quiet and if asked, present your letter. I've never carried Valium through and I don't know the legal status but if you've got a letter and seeing as it's not an illegal drug anywhere, you'll be fine.

Thanks snifter and thanks again EFT, very helpful posts! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Came through there the other day, all a bit packed and a rush through the bag scan. We just threw everything up onto the rollers, including half litre bottles of water, asked a nice young man if I had to take laptop out of its bag and he said no, no problem. It all flew through and all was ok.

No mention of the valium from me or them!! :biggrin: