Life in Cronulla

Natnats

Hi there,

We are moving to Sydney in November and are considering Cronulla. We love the Eastern Suburbs but don't think we'll find what we need accommodation wise in the right budget. Does Cronulla have good restaurants, cafes and bars? We are in our mid 30s, no kids and like to eat out a lot, and every now and then go for a few drinks. What do you reckon?

Nats

Hi, I live at the other end of Sutherland Shire to Cronulla but have visited often. As a married mother of two, it certainly wouldn't be my number one choice (mostly due to the cost of housing), but if it was just the two of us, I think we'd enjoy living there. There are lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, bars etc. I have been out with my friends for dinner/drinks in Cronulla and had a great time. The beaches are lovely (Cronulla Beach and Wanda Beach), quite busy in the summer as you'd expect.

For housing have a look at http://www.domain.com.au and http://www.realestate.com.au. If you need to use the train http://www.cityrail.com.au gives train info. There is a direct train from Cronulla to the city which takes about an hour I think.

Hope that helps a bit!

Hey,

I currently live in Miranda with friends which is just down the road from Cronulla. But Cronulla is really nice, I was surfing down there this morning so yeah it is cool. There are a good few cafe's and bars but no where near as many as in the City area's.

They are building a new suburb at the far end of Cronulla beach called Green Hills that might be worth checking out.

That's great thanks!

We are looking at Sutherland in general. We also really like Lilli Pilli etc etc.

Kevin - do you surf before/after work? How long does it take from Miranda? Proximity to a surf beach is must for us!

Cheers,

Nats

Hi we have been living in cronulla for nearly 12 months now. It's a beautiful part of the shire. Plenty of cafe / coffee shops, restaurants and a few bars ( nothing like the Uk though) but as we have a young daughter rarely get to go out anyway. It's ideal for comuting due to the train station. And has lots of great beaches. Miranda is about a 15 min train ride from here very handy as they have a big Westfield ( shopping precinct ). Let us know when you arrive and we can catch up for a coffee or beer if you like.

I would like to but there is not enough light at this time of year and even in the summer it would be a stretch to do it and make it to the city. If you worked in Cronulla it would be easy but the city in all reality by the time you walk to the station ect is over an hour away.

Lilli Pilli... You must have some coin! :) good for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we lived in Cronulla back in 2003 for 6 months so it probably has changed a lot since then. I loved it. There was a wee 2nd hand bookshop that bought and sold books that I walked to loads. Behind the train station is the cricket oval that I used to jog round. There is a park next to that and Gunnamatta bay next to that. It is really shallow and lovely to paddle in. Only problem was that it was a little taken over at weekends by a community of expats from somewhere and they were everywhere. We went swimming there on weekdays. There was a flock of cockatoos that would fly around the trees. We lived on Nicholson Parade but wound the corner on Lewis Street so we had a quiet spot. We loved the Lorakeets who would come onto our balcony and eat from our hands! There were bushfires to the south so there were loads of animals heading a bit north. The bottleshop was a 10 minute walk away as was the RSL.

Northies was alsways a busy spot and sometimes had trouble. Especially on a Sunday. There was a fantastic Japanes restaurant which we loved. At 6 pm you could hear all the birds going mental in the palm trees on the mall just before they go to bed. How I miss those nights sat outside in the warmth! A cheap and cheerfull Indian which is not a patch on the British ones of course, and an Irish bar I think were also on the mall? Coles was on the Mall and another shop did the best yoghurts with fruit! There is a Nando's as well as butchers and other stuff. A cinema is on the corner near the hotel and we went to the park at the South side of the beach to see some show once where everyone went to chill in the sun with the kids. We frequented a lovely fish and chip shop near there and we loved the beautiful walks around the corners from the beach and swimming pool to Gunnamatta bay. Loads of quiet spots if you go down past the pier. You can fish off the pier of course.

Train is an hour so don't drink before you get on as we did one Xmas. Had to get off for a slash and wait for the next one! Only half an hour in a cab as I found out once on the Mrs's birthday! You've 2 nearby hospitals, Sutherland and the St George. Also the Calvary Hospital but it is a small one for Palliative care and rehab. I played "Socca" for Grays Point when I was there and they are a great bunch of lads. Football is quite big in the Shire. The Sharks play not far away and there are a couple of golf courses in the area. Miranda has a massive shopping centre so I spent many a day in the Air con when it was roasting.

Good luck! If I could afford it we'd go back there but instead it'll be a few hours further north!

S

x