register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Guest 47403

Potty training?

Guest Guest 47403

Was a breeze with my daughter it was all done and dusted at about 20 months through the day then at 2 she was sleeping through dry.

But bloody hell my son is proving hard work he's now 2yrs and 9 months and through the day he has to be sat on the toilet every half hour..........he goes but 15 minutes later he'll P1ss his pants.....................any tips?

No advice other than just wait a while, it just might be a bit early for him. Neither of my two girls were trained that early. Eldest was dry at night from just before three, but still having accidents in the day until she was about 4. She just had no interest in stopping what she was doing to go to the toilet, she was just too busy to do something as mundane as that! Youngest is 3.5yrs and mostly dry during the day but still occasionally has an accident if she forgets to go, and she is nowhere near being dry at night, although she has started taking herself to the toilet in the night.

Just give it a break and come back to it another time. You'll just end up getting all stressed about it, which will stress your son and make things worse.

Guest GoldCoastMag

my boys were much slower than friends girls, and I finally recognised they were not ready as early. Once I relaxed about it and didnt make such a deal of it things seemed better.

Have you thought about letting him set the pace and waiting for the warmer weather.

Guest Guest 47403
rub his nose in it .works wee puppys:laugh:

Stevie I've just peed me kegs reading your reply top man!

Stevie I've just peed me kegs reading yr resonce top man!
:laugh:a wud never dee at mine. ma 2 lads are too big for at noo :mad:prob rub ma nose noo :laugh:the morns weather is fine so you hing your high wasters oot and dry them aff quine:biglaugh:

Guest PommieChick

I stressed with my son and was given the best advice by his kindy.....relax, he will get there and the less you pressure him the better...was also told to pull my head in and asked how many 18 year olds do you see wearing nappies? He will get it.

I know how frustrating it feels but kids are all different no matter what the books say. Let him tell you when hes ready...sounds weird from a kid but mine always let me know.

I wish you luck and sending you a bucketful (no pun intended) of patience.

Guest siamsusie

PommieChick's nursery is totally correct Baz.

I personally wouldnt make a big deal out of it.. the more the kiddies see you stressed the worse it becomes.

I am here to give advice when he is older... men after the pub on many occasions have been known to open the bedroom wardrobes to have a wee:tongue:

I am here to give advice when he is older... men after the pub on many occasions have been known to open the bedroom wardrobes to have a wee:tongue:

If you're lucky - some don't even make it to the wardrobe! :realmad:

Guest siamsusie
If you're lucky - some don't even make it to the wardrobe! :realmad:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Was a breeze with my daughter it was all done and dusted at about 20 months through the day then at 2 she was sleeping through dry.

But bloody hell my son is proving hard work he's now 2yrs and 9 months and through the day he has to be sat on the toilet every half hour..........he goes but 15 minutes later he'll P1ss his pants.....................any tips?

For my son (who just potty trained) it was like a light switch. One day he just started using the toilet instead of his diaper...on his own choice. He's the same age as your son. So now I'm on the countdown to the day that the only backside I have to clean is my own! That will be a glorious day!

Best of luck!

Boys on average toilet train later than girls. Even so, I'd say you were amazingly lucky with your daughter.

I suppose you've tried the reward thing - everytime he goes in the right place he gets a sticker and after a certain number of stickers he gets a favourite reward (Kindersuprise or whatever turns him on?)

Is he using disposable nappies? They are so effective at directing moisture away from the skin that they are not as uncomfortable when wet as cloth nappies - and can also take longer for the child to make the brain connection between the sensation to wee and the outcome.

I suppose the toilet is comfortable temperature wise - not cold or draughty - and he's not scared of the height? I've encountered that with some children.

Some kids just take longer for the brain to make that connection, some are not as bothered as others by feeling wet, some just get too absorbed in whatever they are doing at the time and can't be bothered to interrupt it.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You're a cruel lady, susie! :tongue:

Guest siamsusie
You're a cruel lady, susie! :tongue:

:yes::yes::yes::hug:

Guest Guest 47403
PommieChick's nursery is totally correct Baz.

I personally wouldnt make a big deal out of it.. the more the kiddies see you stressed the worse it becomes.

LOL been there done that, but not for a long time now :laugh:

Guest Guest 47403

Thanks for all your replies I suppose it'll happen when he's ready, not stressing about it to much.

I stressed with my son and was given the best advice by his kindy.....relax, he will get there and the less you pressure him the better...was also told to pull my head in and asked how many 18 year olds do you see wearing nappies? He will get it.

I know how frustrating it feels but kids are all different no matter what the books say. Let him tell you when hes ready...sounds weird from a kid but mine always let me know.

I wish you luck and sending you a bucketful (no pun intended) of patience.

Good advice. I have all this to come with my little lad. I have heard that boys can take longer to potty train than girls, but then my mother in law said my hubby was very quick (I'm sure he'll thank me for telling the world this!). I think waiting until they are ready and until you have a good chunk of time to spend on it. It's like everything with raising children...everyone has got an opinion...don't let yourself feel pressured by anyone.

Best of luck.