Missed the boat????

CockneyRebel

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gothic Rose
Eh? Whats kelvar lol

Is a very strong high performance fabric that has many uses but is often used as a safety componant in Bike Leathers :wubclub:

Guest Gothic Rose

No worries I was a Biker, armour inside quality leathers is made of Kevlar. As are some lightweight Summer Riding jackets & Trousers that dont look like leather but textile, they often have Kevlar in them. As do quality gloves. It's just a Biker thing, to know about such stuff. & it was invented by a woman :wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Australia is fantastic, the uk's great as well, its just better in OZ at present for jobs, for youngsters leaving education.

Guest siamsusie

I have had to remove some posts . I am asking please for courtesy towards each other instead of jibes.

Colin (Srp) has already given a warning and if this persists we will have no alternative but to close this thread down.

May I add, discussions on Mods actions and deletions will result in infractions being given!

Thank you.

Susie x

Is a very strong high performance fabric that has many uses but is often used as a safety componant in Bike Leathers :wubclub:

Also about 20 cm of me dads aorta replacement from when he had an aneurysm,so he reckons:goofy:

Only read the op re affording oz,nobody says you HAVE to buy a hse,if your youngish its still doable,longer mortgage etc,the exchange rate could be better yes,but you either take it on the chin and go or take a chance on the rate rising and leave it here till it does.

If money is your god you might not want to go all things considered,but money altho wonderfull stuff ISNT my god,so im still going,tbh i dont let anybody elses opinions on oz deflect or put me off going,their opinion doesnt matter at all,what happens to US could be better or worse than others experiences so i'l go and find out for meself,end of.

It was easy to migrate to oz when everything was in our favour financially,now its a case of migrating to oz because you "want to migrate to oz",NOT because its a cheap option,i never had 2.5 to the £,because we couldnt sell the hse at that time,so its just tough titty isnt it,box on an all that rhubarb,we'l still be going,regardless of exchange rates,hse prices and others opinions or experience,im not a gypsy so i wont know the reality for us till we get there,were realistic re houses and lifestyle anyway,all about expectations to me anyway,thats it.

Guest Hatton
Yeah thanks for that! We are still hoping of finding a way in, and even more so now with the way things are going in the UK with the FTSE this week. :mad:

Don't worry to much as The Australian markets were down more than the British markets over the week.

THE escalating debt crises in Europe and fears that the US is rapidly sliding back into recession have rocked Australian financial markets, wiping $100 billion off the value of company shares this week and sending the Australian dollar into a tailspin.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/markets-brace-for-more-economic-pain/story-e6frg6nf-1226109394182

I know i'm late to this thread and it's drifted but.....

Just to put people's minds at rest, I've lived in both countries (UK and OZ) for most of my adult life, and I've watched them both swing this way and that. The cycles we are in now will change, maybe soon. The idea that you've missed the boat is just plain silly. You can always wait till the waters are calmer and catch another boat.

Whilst I love the positive thought and sentiment behind this statement, what we're experiencing exchange rate wise isn't ripples in waters, it's like an ongoing tsunami. I think the FX swings you have seen in your adult life are comparatively minor sadly- or at least the last 25yrs anyway.

Just looking at the last 20years of GBP/AUD this is the lowest it's been by a long way.....the nearest low point being some 15years ago in the summer of '96 where it dropped to 1.86........even if it could get back there I'd be content!

But it is where it is and so we'll try not to miss the boat and just amend our plans where we can.

Guest Gothic Rose
I dont have a clue about bikes, my dad wants one and i think dave would quite fancy one, maybe its a midlife crisis?? lol They look good but im a wimp, i dont know if id go on one, if i did it would have to be with a really good driver that i trusted!!

:laugh: Rider not driver but best not hijack the Thread , Lets start a new one in CTF :wubclub:

nightmare stuff as you said we have visa's sitting here just waiting on kids one that they are telling us will take between 7-9mths a total joke but house just not selling :))! depressing stuff & the markets going further & further into turmoil!

Guest Gothic Rose
see!! im a total muppet lol :biglaugh: yep good idea!

Not a muppet at all & very welcome to come Talk Biker stuff in the Thread Siamsusie has joined in so female bikers happy to chat with you :hug:

Guest sh7t man no way

theres no such thing in life as missed the boat--in my view you determine your own path--this is all down to the indevidual,not the timing or money thing in life--in my view anybody going through the long process of emigration will get to where they want to be,and have a wunderfull life:wubclub:

theres no such thing in life as missed the boat--in my view you determine your own path--this is all down to the indevidual,not the timing or money thing in life--in my view anybody going through the long process of emigration will get to where they want to be,and have a wunderfull life:wubclub:

Although succeeding through the emigration process is sometimes outside people's control, you just have to look at the migration changes in 2008 after GFC 1 how many people are still waiting on being processed or got capped & ceased?

We are bordering on the verge of GFC 2, last time the SOL got chopped down and the CSL was brought out... what measures will come out this time? Maybe only Doctors & nurses and possibly something in the mining area if its still going. If there is a housing crash like everyone says is bound to happen then anyone even remotely associated with any of the building trades or finance sector can kiss goodbye to getting a visa.... the last thing Australia need is to import people who are going to remain unemployed.

Sometimes people miss the boat and that boat wont be back in port for years and probably by that time some of the passengers wont qualify at the other end.

I know i'm late to this thread and it's drifted but.....

Whilst I love the positive thought and sentiment behind this statement, what we're experiencing exchange rate wise isn't ripples in waters, it's like an ongoing tsunami. I think the FX swings you have seen in your adult life are comparatively minor sadly- or at least the last 25yrs anyway.

Just looking at the last 20years of GBP/AUD this is the lowest it's been by a long way.....the nearest low point being some 15years ago in the summer of '86 where it dropped to 1.86........even if it could get back there I'd be content!

But it is where it is and so we'll try not to miss the boat and just amend our plans where we can.

I remember the 1.86 well. I was sending pounds back to Oz to pay my mortgage, and I wasn't very happy about it. Low and behold a few years later it was 3 to the pound. It fluctuations. Some times the cycles are in sync, sometimes they are not. It's a bit like the weather. If you don't like the exchange rate - just wait awhile.

When we came here we only had about $8k, but had family to stay with for the first month. We found jobs and basically started over again in every way. We only shipped over a few personal items no furniture etc. It didnt take long to gather up money for a deposit on a house and what we had in the UK is forgotten about 3 years later. I think if you get a 175 visa and have enough for a 2-3 months rent on a furnished house you should take the chance.

Danny.

Depends what your situation is in the UK. If you are renting there, can't see the possibilty of getting on the housing maket, living from week to week with your salary, have the right qualifications and work experience to get a visa, then why not go for it.

If you want an adventure and a change in lifestyle you wouldn't be losing anything.

We were just getting by in the UK when we emigrated and felt we were stuck in a rut. Started thinking "is this as good as it gets". If you are in that basket you may as well still come and be stuck in a nicer rut.

Depends what your situation is in the UK. If you are renting there, can't see the possibilty of getting on the housing maket, living from week to week with your salary, have the right qualifications and work experience to get a visa, then why not go for it.

If you want an adventure and a change in lifestyle you wouldn't be losing anything.

We were just getting by in the UK when we emigrated and felt we were stuck in a rut. Started thinking "is this as good as it gets". If you are in that basket you may as well still come and be stuck in a nicer rut.

Thats exactly my thinking Paul. describes us perfectly

we have just changed our end goal a little... rather than bying ASAP , we will rent , take our time then bye a house with in our means ... (3 bed no swimming pool lol )

we both plan to be working so thats a + on the uk. as we are living on 1 wage atm .

I have sat and worked every thing out re OZ or essex.... bills / housing/ jobs/schools .. looking at worse case = min wage only one working . with all this im mind, our decishion still stands OZ thorugh and through....as essex is a lost cause ...... ANG

Well we have decided we are going to wait for the kids to finish school or be a year away and then apply, husband will still just be in the age limit to get some points, should have more work experience and, could in that time get a qualification maybe? Also our mortgage will be paid off by then (hopefully) so all good. Roll on 5-6 years lol.